Who was the Worst Coach in NY Jets history?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, May 20, 2021.

?

Worst coach in Jets history

1. Richie Kotite

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Adam Gase

30 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I choose to focus on the positive, especially since there is so much negativity in the world. I give Gase a lot of credit b/c he is responsible for Joe Douglas being GM. We should never forget that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

i think Walton was a good OC and was the logical choice to replace Michaels in 1983. He had turned Todd’s career around from 30 interceptions to a playoff QB from 1981-82. However in 1983 injuries kind of spoiled the season and the Jets dropped a lot of tight games. It turned out Walton had some personality conflicts with some of the veterans and began to mold the team more to his image. By 1985-86 the Jets offense became very powerful and could pretty much score at will. The OL however was showing its age and O’Brien began to take a physical pounding. Only Jim Sweeney was added as a capable starting OL in those years. The 1987 strike caused a lot of disharmony among the Jets and by 1989 the team completely collapsed due to age and conflict. The fans were ready to give Walton the heave ho and truthfully the franchise needed a reboot.

In those days the Jets were run by a committee style. Jim Kensil was the President, Mike Hickey ran the drafts, and Walton also had input. While Hickey has some nice drafts in the late 70s He did not in the 80s. So in some ways Walton did not have the fortune of having players adequately replaced - remember he was the coach for 7 years.

As far as Jets history it’s kind of hard to grade Walton because there have been so many bad coaches. I can’t put him in the top 5 worst all-time because when he had the players he was competent. I can’t put him in the top 5 best either as Weeb, Michaels, Parcells, Edwards and Rex were all better overall in my opinion. Had he left the HC position a year earlier (Edwards and Rex also) he would of finished with a winning record. An accomplishment in Jets history.

So that’s my opinion anyway ....he would be right in the middle on a Jets list. Other more successfully run franchises he wouldn’t be....

#42 mrjet80, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
    NCJetsfan, major33, Noam and 2 others like this.
  3. mrjet80

Kotite as a GM? I think I’ll pass ....lol. As a scout possibly he did find Chrebet.

patleahy likes this.
  4. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

5. patleahy

@LogeSection2RowJ LOL funny u bring that up, because I remember a few years ago, one of the guys on one of those NFL Network "Top 10" shows that they used to do, saying something similar. I think it was the "Top 10 season collapses" and they were talking about the Eagles under Kotite when they dropped their last 7 games of the year and went from 7-2 to 7-9....anyway, the guy said exactly what you just said...he was like: "has anyone ever seen Kotite since he left the Jets?! it's like the guy completely fell off the face of the Earth...he never pops up on tv or in the media at all. most former coaches do something after they leave the game, even the shitty ones, but Richie Kotite went into the Witness Protection program or something when he got fired from the Jets and no one has seen or heard form him since." lol

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I thought he posted on this forum?

patleahy likes this.
  7. mrjet80

He was photographed a few years ago - maybe 3 or 4 - at a football game at Hofstra I think.....you can recognize him but kind of frail looking.

patleahy likes this.
  8. patleahy

I did not know that, MrJet. I appreciate the info. On a related note, I thoroughly enjoyed your in-depth post regarding Joe Walton and his coaching tenure during the mid 80's, which is an era near and dear to my heart since it is when I first became a fan of the NFL. Always enjoy reading your "longform" posts about past Jets teams and seasons. Just FYI. :):)

Noam and mrjet80 like this.
  9. mrjet80

I appreciate that and definitely can relate.

10. patleahy

@mrjet80 @LogeSection2RowJ pretty amusing shirt I saw once regarding Kotite.....it was a plain Jets green t-shirt that said: "I survived the Rich Kotite era" lol

11. mrjet80

I Just saw that today in an advertisement on this site lol

patleahy likes this.
  12. patleahy

lol Mr.Jet......I mainly get advertisements for books and for "gym shark" activewear on this site, lol. The Kotite shirt cracked me up. They were probably pretty popular in the mid to late 90's I would imagine.

13. mrjet80

Sure and probably today too.

14. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Yeah that and him actually going 7-9 puts him above Kotite imo

dmw and patleahy like this.
  15. patleahy

@major33 @mrjet80 I just read through this thread for the first time, I noticed both of you guys mentioned Coslet. I thought I was the only guy who remembered all of the hype he received as an "offensive genius/QB guru" who was going to bring the Bengals exciting "no huddle/up tempo" attack to the Jets, lol.

16. mrjet80

Well he did try to implement it. Unfortunately he didn’t have the right OL, O’Brien’s shoulder was starting to give out, and the skills players they drafted didn’t work out. Blair Thomas showed promise but after the MNF fumble he wasn’t the same. Reggie Rembert was a complete bust, although Rob Moore was pretty good.

In 1993 the Jets attempted a quick rebuild after the new FA system was implemented. They signed several big name FAs and traded for Esiason - Coslet’s old QB from the Bengals. The new players on the OL were younger and bigger and they became a force for be reckoned with. Coslet’s system finally began to gain steam and the Jets - despite blowing several winnable games - were sitting at 7-4. Unfortunately Boomer was injured at some point and while he still played was not as effective. Coslet’s offense came to a standstill and the Jets wound up dropping 4 of their last 5 including games in which no TD’s were scored by the offense - Coslet’s pride and joy. Coslet’s leadership came into question and he was fired after the last game, a lackluster 24-0 loss to the Oilers with a wild card berth on the line.

As I stated before I would rank Coslet as the 5th worst Jets full time head coach overall.

One last note.....on 11/28 of that year the Jets went into NE and shut out the Patriots 6-0 in a blinding rainstorm. That was the first ever road shutout for the franchise. Two weeks later ( next road game ) the Jets shut out the Redskins 3-0. What were the odds of that?? 33 years without a road shutout and then two in a row without scoring a single touchdown.

#56 mrjet80, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. patleahy

@mrjet80 ^^^^as I recall the infamous "Buddy Ryan threw a punch at Kevin Gilbride" game on ESPN's old Sunday Night Football!!! ;)

mrjet80 likes this.
  18. patleahy

@mrjet80 since you were just talking about the 1993 season, I figured you might get a kick out of this quick recap, MrJet. I also agree with you that it was not only the disappointing finish to the season, but also the putrid/nonexistent offensive output which sealed Coslet's fate, since that was his calling card.

The biggest acquisition for the Jets in the offseason was quarterback Boomer Esiason, whom New York acquired from the Cincinnati Bengals for a draft pick. The Jets also acquired running back Johnny Johnson from the Phoenix Cardinals, and he led the team in both rushing yards and pass receptions (821 yards rushing, 67 receptions). Brad Baxter led the Jets with seven rushing touchdowns and Rob Moore, a third-year receiver, caught passes for 843 yards. Second year tight end Johnny Mitchell caught six touchdown passes for a team high. On defense Jeff Lageman returned from his season-ending injury in 1992 to record 8.5 sacks to pace the defensive line, and defensive back Brian Washington added six interceptions.

After struggling early by only winning two of their first six games, the Jets began a winning streak by defeating their in-stadium rival New York Giants, 10–6 on Halloween. The streak reached five before the Indianapolis Colts snapped it with a 9–6 defeat of the Jets in Week 14. The Jets won again the next week by defeating the Washington Redskins by a 3–0 score, but lost their remaining three games to finish 8–8 and out of the playoffs. After the season Coslet was fired and assistant Pete Carroll was promoted to head coach.[note 1]

In Weeks 13, 14, and 15, the Jets played in games where the winning team did not reach 10 points. The Jets were 2–1 in those three games, with the other victory being a 6–0 win against the New England Patriots in Week 13. On the other hand, the Jets did not score more than ten points in five of their last six games, the only exception being a Week 16 loss to the Buffalo Bills, and only scored three total touchdowns in those games (two in the Week 16 loss and one in a Week 15 loss to the eventual Super Bowl champion Dallas Cowboys). For the third time in five seasons, the Jets were shut out in their season finale.

19. patleahy

@mrjet80 regarding Coslet, per wikipedia...

The Jets retained Coslet for the 1993 season, but the team made it clear that this unless the Jets somehow qualified for the playoffs he would not return for 1994. To help the Jets make a run toward the playoffs, the Jets acquired Coslet's former starting quarterback with the Bengals, Boomer Esiason, in the offseason. Through thirteen games the Jets looked to be primed to make the playoffs, as a Week 15 win over the Washington Redskins had them at 8-5 and was their sixth win in their last seven games. However, New York was blown out at home by the defending Super Bowl Champion Dallas Cowboys in Week 16 and then blew a fourth quarter lead and lost to the Bills, and needed a victory in Week 18 against a Houston team that was on a ten-game winning streak. The Jets were shut out, 24-0, and Coslet was fired shortly thereafter with his second 8-8 mark.

20. mrjet80

Yep that pretty much sums it up - too bad because the Jets did have a good team that had the capability of doing alot of damage in the playoffs. They even had the Bills on their heels in freezing Buffalo only to have Cary Blanchard miss 3 FGs.

Jets81 likes this.