Who was the Worst Coach in NY Jets history?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, May 20, 2021.

?

Worst coach in Jets history

1. Richie Kotite

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Adam Gase

30 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

...I ran this idea for a new thread by Brook! since there is already a "worst coach in all NY sports in the past 5 years" poll/thread on the front page, but since this question is limited to just the Jets and covers their entire history, Brook! gave it his blessing. So, who would you say is the worst coach in Jets history? Looking back over that history, I think there only three viable candidates for that title: Holtz, Kotite and Gase. I excluded Holtz however, since unlike Gase and Kotite, Holtz didn't even last a full season....so the damage done by Kotite and Gase was far worse than the damage done by Holtz. Holtz also basically admitted that he sucked and didn't belong in the NFL when he resigned, so he has that over the other two. So, who would you guys say is the absolute worst coach we have ever had in our entire history? Richie Kotite OR Adam Gase?

2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

this was not discussed enough last year... no, not at all

NYJalltheway, Jets81 and patleahy like this.
  3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

nobody even comes close to what a joke Holtz was

jilozzo, nycarl, Skicats and 2 others like this.
  4. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Probably Kotite because those teams had some talent, but Gase was a grade A asshole on top of being terrible so I’m picking him.

5. patleahy

Makes sense @cmcm750203 For perspective, Kotite 2 seasons....4-28 winning % .125 / Gase 2 seasons 9-23 winning % .281

cmcm750203 likes this.
  6. cmcm750203

That 2nd half schedule in 2019 somewhat saved Gase’s winning %, though they still ended up losing to two winless teams late in the season. That’s pretty special.

7. patleahy

if you honestly feel that way, you seriously underestimate what a joke Richie Kotite was, and the numbers back that up.

8. patleahy

Totally 100% holistically agreed, which is why I started the poll with Brooks! approval. ;););)

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

*yawn*

We just drafted what we hope is our quarterback of the future plus we have a new coach and assistants and we've added some decent young talent. Being a Jets fan has meant decades of disappointment and heartbreak. Why in tbe world would anyone want to debate our worst coach. Might as well combine it with which was the worst team. Fun for all.

nycarl, Jets81 and patleahy like this.
  10. cmcm750203

I mean it wasn’t EXACTLY the same team, but that 97 team was not overwhelmingly different than the 96 team and Parcells won 9 games. It’s pretty amazing how bad Kotite was.

11. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Holtz was the worst by far. I voted Gase because in addition to being bad, he was a pompous asshole.

Noam, Losmeister and patleahy like this.
  12. patleahy

Agreed papapump.

Losmeister likes this.
  13. patleahy

with all due respect bickety, all of the "boundlessly optimistic" threads get a bit *yawn* repetitive boring themselves. We already have a million and one threads about what a great young man Zach Wilson seems to be and how polite and respectful he seems to be and how talented he seems to be and how dedicated to his craft and what a great leader he is, etc etc etc. I figured a thread like this dedicated to a different topic would serve to break up all of the threads speculating as to how many MVP's Wilson is going to win and how many Super Bowls Saleh is going to win. Until they actually take the field, all of the boundless optimistic speculation is pretty meaningless. Figured we didn't need a 1,000,000,000th thread espousing some variation of: "The Jets are DEF headed in the right direction and here's why...."

Ralebird likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Charley Winner wasn't.

Jets69 likes this.
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

How about talking about what's going on in rookie camp or what we can expect from the coaches regarding offense and defense? I didn't mean that it has to be a constant circle jerk. But hey, if you want to focus on who the worst coach was then have at it, CBG.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

1. Gase
    2. Lou Holtz
    3. Mangini
    4. Kotite
    5. Groh

If you look at the list. Two had what appear to be pretty severe mental health issues in Gase and Mangini. Likely Groh and Holtz had similar issues. 3 treated players terribly and were hated by their players in Mangini, Groh and Gase. Groh had his players mutiny against him.

I think the lesson here is in modern football assholes almost never succeed as head coaches.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I've always felt that John Bonham was the greatest drummer in the history of Rock and Roll, but Keith Moon was the greatest rocker in the history of drumming.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. cmcm750203

Half this board loved Mangini after he got fired and somehow tied the jets shitty drafting after Tanny was fired to Mangini as if he were making the picks. There were some weird ass logic threads about how Mangini’s drafting was better than Rex’s or some shit. The dude was here for 3 drafts and he wasn’t the GM.

Jets69 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, and Smith were taken when Mangini was HC. I'm sure he had some input.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. cmcm750203

Then why did his Cleveland teams shit the bed in the draft if he’s some draft guru? Alex Mack, Haden, and a bunch of garbage.