Who remembers this game?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, May 18, 2021.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I was ten and literally in tears after the game just staring out my window watching the rain in silence ....my first football heartbreak. I can still hear the raindrops hitting the gutters softly ...

twown likes this.
  2. mrjet80

Check out the 1981 games - both Dolphins games including the tie. The NE game at Shea went to the wire as the team was just learning how to close out games.....the Giants game also is on there.

jilozzo and AJW like this.
  3. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Todd didn't get the ball high enough. He had Gaffney open in the end zone. Richard Todd was either hot or cold. Not in between for him.

mrjet80 likes this.
  4. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I was 13 and what made it even worse was the Giants went into Philly and won their WC game. If it wasn't for the Jets the week before beating GB the Giants would not have made it to the playoffs.

mrjet80 likes this.
  5. mrjet80

Absolutely - horrible day.

6. mrjet80

He didn’t arch the pass - you’re right. Gaffney was open....

AJW likes this.
  7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Both Todd and Ferguson were terrible. Both threw multiple INT's that day. I remember Gaffney was wide open which made the INT more painful. It's a shame they started so poorly. I remember it was 24-0 and then Cribbs scored on a 50 yard TD right in front of my section to make it 31-13. Our seats were along the goal line at the closed end of the stadium.

8. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

If I remember on the Cribbs play we got a unsportsmanlike penalty from pushing him after he got into the endzone.

mrjet80 likes this.
  9. mrjet80

Were you one of the guys throwing beer at him? LOL

10. mrjet80

That was either Holmes or Ray can’t remember which one ...

AJW likes this.
  11. mrjet80

Both QBs threw 4 INTs....

12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

There was a lot of talent on that team. Bruce Harper was awesome!

mrjet80 and AJW like this.
  13. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I think it was Jerry Holmes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#53 AJW, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
  14. mrjet80

Just watched the play on utube - it was Ray who pushed but both Holmes and Ray were there......I saw Smerlas turning to yell at the fan that threw the beer on Cribbs lol

AJW likes this.
  15. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Really, you posting this without a warning? Although that game will go down as one of the most disappointing endings to a Jets game, everyone knew Richard Todd was going to throw an interception at some point on the final drive. He did great during the comeback, the ending was inevitable. I think that is what cushioned the disastrous ending. We knew it was coming.

How dare you post this game! Torturing fellow Jets fans! ;)

16. major33

Yeah just warn them not to watch the Seahawks game. Unfortunately, that was one of 2 I went to that season, the other being Houston. The Seahawks-Jets game was one of the most poorly played Jets games in history. However, to be fair it was raining hard at times and freezing. To make matters worse, our seats were in the bleachers behind home plate with no cover. Lots of hot chocolate that day as a kid. Jets started off great & were driving down the field and then there was a fumble or INT, can't remember. But it was so sloppy and a mess. The field was mud and I think it was a 4pm game since it was dark out. I don't know if he played in that game, but for some reason, as a kid, I was a big Steve Largent fan and had his jersey. I liked the Seahawks jerseys back then.

Edit: I just looked up the game and Largent scored 2 TDs. I can't believe I don't remember that probably due to the horrendous weather and the worst Jets game I've been to. Also probably the reason I ended up with a Largent jersey.

#56 major33, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That should be a country song!

AJW and mrjet80 like this.
  18. mrjet80

Yes it was a 4:00 game in the cold rain (Oct 25). The Jets were favored and the first drive did start off great - Todd hit Walker on a sideline screen pass and he ran 75 yards for a touchdown ...... it was called back by a penalty. That’s the play you can’t remember. From there the Jets lost their rhythm. Largent had a big game also......

That game is not on utube luckily however the second Seahawks game that year is which was even more excruciating. The Jets played well and should have won. They lost in the final minutes and to make matters worse NBC in NY switched over to the Bills- Chargers game with the Chargers trailing by 2 points but in easy FG range. They were going to win - oops they fumbled.

That Jets loss cost them the AFC East title...

Yankjetfan and major33 like this.
  19. major33

You have a great memory & jogged mine with the penalty call. The Jets actually had several chances in that game in the first half since I remember thinking that we should be winning this one. I think the Jets were favored in that game since they were picking up steam and it was a huge letdown.

I can't even remember anything about the second Seahawks game but I know I watched it since there wasn't a Jets game I would miss that season.

Since you have this great memory, I'm going to bring up another rainy miserable weather game I saw at Shea, one that was VERY memorable. I know you know which game it is. Probably should quiz you on it. LOL The Jets were leading by a lot at halftime. It was rainy and miserable, but we had seats in the green under the overhang nice and dry, so no chance I was leaving. Many people left at halftime because the weather was terrible and we were leading big. The weather did clear up in the second half, unfortunately for us. What game am I talking about?

20. mrjet80

Oct 23 1983 - the Falcons. This game is on utube also and I will not watch the second half again. What a horrible horrible game.....

Bruce Harper did have that nice 78 yard TD run after slipping and falling down at the LOS. This was the game I believe started the Todd-Walton feud which eventually led to Todd’s ticket out of town.

RPOZ51, Footballgod214 and major33 like this.