Zach Wilson is the Leader the Jets Need

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, May 9, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Moore is one smart WR. He knows where his bread is buttered.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Nobody is doubting that Saleh is going to end up better than Gase. That is pretty obvious.

I don’t know why you are just glossing over the fact that Zach seems to be big on film study. That’s a big deal. Whether it pays off has yet to be seen, but I doesn’t mean people shouldn’t be excited about it.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It's Luigi

Jets81 and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
  5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Yeah, The guy who looks totally uncomfortable around people.
    Who was not named captain.
    Perfect Fit!!
    Hasn't played one down or even 1 play from playbook but hey..RAH RAH !!!

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. Royal Tee

FYI, Every single QB does this.
    Remember the JETS flying out for Mark Sanchez?
    Nah, JETS fans have the shortest memories...

Praying the JETS got this right because if this move goes south THE WHOLE THING is a failure....

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'd love to have you at my tailgate party! Fun times for all!

NYGANGGREEN, Noam, cval and 4 others like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Wilson can fail w/o blowing up the rebuild but only if the Jets have lightning reflexes in that event. That would be the acquire a real QB or draft another one move if the Jets accurately diagnosed early symptoms of a bust and move on in record time.

Hopefully Wilson is just fine but if the Jets have doubts after 2021 they can either move on or ride him to whatever conclusion his skills dictate. If they ride him and he fails at that point, then yes the whole thing fails.

I really wouldn't let him on the field next season if they have any doubts that he is ready to go and ready to succeed. Better to give him a year on the sidelines adjusting to the speed of the NFL and let somebody else do the 4-13 honors or whatever it turns into.

Royal Tee likes this.
  9. Royal Tee

Dude...you have no idea. I'm a tailgate fantasy, some say a unicorndog:confused:

Brook! and Footballgod214 like this.
  10. Royal Tee

This is why I would have Kept Sam 1 more year AND drafted Zach.
    It was OTB thinking but was a win win win with the 3rd appeasing the suits $$. That said there is a crap load of weight they just put on this kids shoulder..literally.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Hey! When didja get out?

12. Br4d

The Jets saw this as a prime breeding grounds for a QB controversy and they were probably right. Darnold was too polarizing to be a placeholder for an unknown quantity.

What the Jets need to do now is find somebody who will play well enough that it's obvious he is not the problem if they are losing. A Neil O'Donnell type to hold down the fort for a year (or maybe two) the way Vinny held down the fort for Chad. And yeah that was also cap-related but the Jets really wanted to be sure Chad deserved to be on the field before they put him there.

Cimini mentions Foles a lot but I think the Jets need somebody more established to hold down the fort.

The Giants signed Kurt Warner to play that role in 2004 for Eli Manning.

Alex Smith might be the best choice. Don't know if he would be interested at this point but WFT did release him before he retired so he is 100% free of obligations.

#92 Br4d, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you look at all the good young QBs drafted in the last decade, the only one who didn't play in his rookie year was Mahomes (though technically, he played Week 17). Newton, Dalton, Luck, Tannehill, R. Wilson, Cousins, Carr, Goff, Wentz, Prescott, Watson, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, Murray, Burrow, and Herbert all played as rookies, including some on bad teams. And I'm pretty sure Mahomes would still be great even if he played as a rookie. So I'm not worried about Wilson playing this year, though I think the Jets should sign a capable veteran in case the coaching staff decides he isn't ready to start Week 1.

14. Br4d

When you only look at the guys who succeeded you leave out Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, RGIII, Brandon Wheeden (15 GS in 2012 the year he was drafted), E.J. Manuel, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Mitchell Trubisky, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Dwayne Haskins. You also discount guys who didn't work out with the franchise that drafted them, like Tannehill, Goff and Wentz. You discount guys like Manziel who played a couple of games and then was done for his career.

The point is that you can't sort out the good guys and say that is the case for playing Zach Wilson immediately. He's probably less than 50/50 to be in that group given what we know right now.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

The Jets just moved on from a QB they traded up significant draft capital to draft third overall just three years ago. I do not see a scenario where Wilson isn’t given at least three seasons.

16. Br4d

If he's just not good when exposed to the much higher level of play in the NFL my guess is the Jets move on at light speed.

You remember all those pictures of Joe Douglas sitting in the Jets box with his hand over his eyes/face last year as the team was being non-competitive over and over again? If Wilson is just bad and the Jets are getting blown out my guess is JD flips the switch and moves on in a record hurry. Odds are he's getting fired after 2022 in that scenario and I doubt he's going to want to make his last stand as an NFL GM with another failing young QB.

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Not sure what this says. It feels like it dies not matter if he plays right away or sits. He will be good or bad because of Zach not if he plays right away.

I was a big believer in letting rookies sit but with all the outside coaching these kids get and the changing of rules I am not sure it matters.

Let the kid grow with the team . Keep gamr plans relatively simple.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yes sanchez did it too at 1 point. not his rookie year off the bat though IIRC. I don't hear stories of mac jones, trey lance, trevor lawerence or justin fields doing it already either.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This could end up being a disaster. Between Wilson's hot mom, the family's love of social media and how NY chews up QBs and spits them out. It is just a bigger target.

If Wilson ain't ready to start year 1, and I dont think he is, it could get ugly early. I wish for once they would just sit a guy and let him learn the game for a year.

stinkyB likes this.
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Wilson should be fine. Of all the QBs drafted he is the most pro ready to start on day one. He played in pro ready college offense and was asked to quite a lot in that offense. Not to mention his college system is very similar to what we will be running. He has no major mechanical issues issues that need to be worked on. If you believe what has been said he has the best football IQ. He is by far the most pro ready. Does that mean he should start? I would love to see him sit a year but that is not today's NFL. He has a great mind, great work, ethic, is in a QB friendly system that will likely not ask him to do much and will simply his decisions until he is ready to do more. He should be fine. I think the most important thing is to reign in peoples expectations. This year is not about wins/losses or yards thrown and TDs but about individual and team development. We have a new offensive and defensive system as well as a ton of young players. Will we progress and improve as a football team all year. By the end of the year do we look like a competitive team? This year is about making improvements and progress to be competitive in 2022. All I want is to be able to watch and root for the Jets and see that we are progressing in a positive direction. Maybe Wilson will have a great this year but likely next year is when he will either make that big step forward or not. In the meantime I love all the fluff and hype. I don't buy into all of it but it is nice to be excited and have hope once again.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.