2022 Prospects to look at

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, May 5, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I definitely agree that DE will most likely be our first pick, and I agree that if necessary, we should trade up to get the DE we covet. Aside from DE, I don't see the DL as a need at all. I think the Jets would be hard pressed to find a better DT in the draft than the guys they already have, and they have excellent depth. I think they would take another WR or even RB in the 2nd round before they'd take a DT.

I agree that like a number of positions, LB 100% depends upon what happens this season. That said, I think it is pretty likely that LB will wind up definitely being an early pick. Even if Mosely has returned to his previous All Pro form at MLB, he'll only be under contract for one more year I think, and I believe that JD would want to draft and groom his successor and let him learn from Mosely. Also, I would hope that it wouldn't come to that, but if the Jets really needed the cap space, they could trade/release him, so I think at a minimum, JD will be looking for a very good MLB prospect. I think one of Nasirildeen or Sherwood (or both) will succeed at WLB, but if Davis doesn't pan out at SAM, we'll also need a SAM LB, and he's the guy I have the least confidence in. Even if everything goes perfectly for the Jets and Mosley, Davis, Nasirildeen and Sherwood all play at a high level, he could very well be looking for depth. Most likely, he would look for that depth at LB in the 3rd or 4th round, but I wouldn't discount the 2nd round.

If McGovern picks up where he left off at the end of last season and plays even better in the new scheme, I don't think the Jets would be looking for a center early. He's only 28. They could conceivably extend him for another 2-3 years.They might look for a quality backup in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I don't think they'd take one in the 1st. I think the only OL they'll look to take in the 1st round next year (if at all) will be RT either because Fant didn't improve the way they thought he would, or they decide to go ahead and draft his replacement. Even if Clark doesn't win the starting RG spot or doesn't play well if he does win the job, I'd be surprised if JD looks to take another OG in the 1st. I think the 2nd or 3rd round would be the earliest he looked to take another OG. Hoge could surprise or even Feeney, or GVR or Lewis.

I agree that our system has lessened the need for a shut down CB, but Saleh said that he wants a CB who can shut down his man in man-to-man situations, so I think that he will want one early that has that ability. It might be the 2nd round instead of the 1st, but I think he will want one among the Jets' first 4 picks.

I totally agree regarding Herndon. I think Herndon would have to have a HUGE year this year with few drops, a lot of big time catches, and better blocking, in order for the Jets to not want a TE early. Even then, if Yeboah comes on strong, they might decide that they could wait until the 3rd round to grab a TE.

joelip likes this.
  2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I agree the DL is strong and deep especially if Rankins plays to his potential. The reason I’m saying a 2nd rd DL is Bc the younger late round developmental picks will want to get paid so it’s probably a good idea to keep stocking the cupboard.

This is what the 49ers did so I’m 99% we go DE.

2015 Armstead DT
    2016 Buckner DE
    2017 Thomas DE
    2019 Bosa DE
    2019 Ford DE (trade)
    2020 Kinlaw DE

Our WR room is solid and the top 3 are at the beginnings of their contracts. RBBC doesn’t need an early round feature back IMO.

Mosley is under contract through 2024 and 28 is young for a LB. If he returns to his former self, I can’t imagine him going anywhere. IMO It’s good to have strong senior leadership on such a young team.

The only reason I have a C in the 1st is Bc the top center in the country is coming out next year and it would make sense to get our new QB his new best friend early in his career. I’m def not sold on it Bc I think our OL def has potential to be good this year.

I wouldn’t be mad if they take a CB. Maybe the top 2 or 3 Edges are off the board and that beast from LSU drops in our lap. Could we afford to pass on the “best CB prospect ever”? But at the same time Hall was a top CB before that ankle injury. I’d love to see how he developes before we write him off as a #2.

3. KingRoach

4. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the clarification on the DL.

Yes, our WR room is solid, but it could still be improved. If someone dropped and was too good to pass up, JD could take him.

I know the RBBC doesn't need an early round feature back, and with taking Carter, it isn't all that likely, but again, if someone fell that was too good to pass up, JD could take him. After all, he was seriously considering taking Najee Harris at #23 or #34. Also, Tevin Coleman could stay injured this year. Guerriero likely won't make the team, and may not show that much promise. If the Jets plan to keep 4 RBs in addition to Wesco as FB/TE, then they could look to take another RB next year. While most of SF's RBs were take in the 3rd round or lower, I'm pretty sure that SF took one of their RBs in the 2nd round.

I think that CB will definitely get strong consideration early. I love Hall, but imo he doesn't have the speed to ever be a #1 CB. He can be a great #2, but I don't see him as a #1.

5. KingRoach

The 49ers RBs are mostly UDFA. They took one early this year (3rd) but he seems like a change of pace RB to add some power running.

I would have cried a little on the inside if they picked a RB at 23 or 34. I thought Etienne was the one they wanted but I can’t find the article. That man has too many miles IMO.

6. NCJetsfan

Yes, I would have been disappointed if the Jets took Etienne or Harris, even though I love Harris. I think Etienne showed effects this past season of too many touches. He looked slower and less dominant than in previous years.

I knew the SF RBs were something like that, with one RB taken fairly high, and the rest low round draft picks or UDFAs. I had forgotten that they were UDFAs.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

In a dream scenario, we land Stingley and Harrison in round 1. CB and Edge would be set for the foreseeable future.

8. KingRoach

It would be amazing to have 2 picks in the top 10 but I think I’d prefer 2 picks in the mid 20s.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I really think JD is sold on mcgovern for our C for the rest of his contract (ends after 2022 season) and maybe even extend him as well. we do have an out after this season but with all the holes we have I don't think JD will look to make a new one. I think he likes fant a lot too so probably only looks to add a RG next year for the o-line. I can see the next draft being very defense heavy. year 1 get a QB and give him protection and weapons, year 2 give your HC the talent he wants for his defensive scheme.

joelip and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. CotcheryFan

Making the playoffs is preferable, but I don't believe we are quite ready yet. We need a #1 CB and Edge badly.

11. GasedAndConfused

we signed lawson for edge. JFM is pretty legit too. he could break out in a bigger role. plus Q, foley, rankins, shep. and curry to rotate. huff and zuniga could suprise. I think our pass rush will be good overall

joelip likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

Still lacks a high end edge rusher.

13. GasedAndConfused

from all the metrics I've seen both Q and lawson are high end rushers. I do agree we should add another in next years draft but I don't think we are bad off by any means

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Edge, CB, TE, more Offensive lineman (not necessarily early round picks)

Please and thank you!

15. GasedAndConfused

we have 4 picks in the top 2 rounds. we could easily address all 4 of those positions. early indicates are it's a good draft for TE and o-line in the 2nd and good for edge in the 1st. it's a weak CB draft though so hopefully someone pans out or we can sign some FAs. we will have money to spend

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

**Rubs hands together**

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Stingley is going to be sick. He's as can't miss as Patrick Peterson was.

PennyandtheJets and KingRoach like this.
  18. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Good post. It seemed to me that JFM displayed serious pass rushing skills worthy of a starter last year. Of course, he was in a different position than a 4-3 left end, so this remains speculative. However, I couldn't help but think as I watched him that this guy has NFL starter pass rushing skills, and I believe that he is poised for a breakout year in a 4-3.

I also liked what I saw from Huff in terms of a possible backup for Lawson. We also have to see if Zuniga lives up to his physical potential in a 4-3 in which he can pin back his ears and go. However, as Parcells said, potential just means you haven't done anything yet.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

I wouldn't let the potential of JFM, Zuniga, and Huff stop me from taking a top Edge prospect who can be a dominant force like a Garrett, Bosa, or Mack.

20. Kotite's Revenge

Can’t wait for Seattle to implode and provide us with a top 5 pick.