JD did it the Cowboys (the right) way

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, May 10, 2021.

1. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

I was disappointed that JD waited until the bottom of the 2nd round to draft a WR in last year’s receiver-heavy 2020 draft and then drafted one with a limited ability to gain separation quickly off the line of scrimmage

In 2021, JD turned me into a believer, following in the footsteps of the Cowboys

Draft your franchise QB and use Rounds 1-4 on OL, WR and RB to immediately surround him with protection and weapons

The NFL has never been more of a passing league than it is right now, due to all the tackling precautions that came with the paradigm shift surrounding the acknowledgement of CTE

I desperately wanted a WR who can gain separation quickly off the line of scrimmage last year and JD didn’t draft that type of WR in 2020 — Denzel simply isn’t that guy

In 2021, he absolutely nailed that WR prototype with the selection of Elijah Moore, who has the potential to develop into Zach’s security blanket with 100+ catches per season by Year 3-4

Michael Carter is also a great fit for today’s NFL

It looks like the Jets have finally caught up to the rest of the league

It’s about damn time

Zach Wilson is in a much better spot in his rookie year than Darnold was during all three of his seasons with the Jets

And any OC is going to be better than Schottenheimer (why did the Jaguars think it’s a good idea to sick Brian on Trevor???) and last year’s scrub step-in

Joe actually has a blueprint that makes sense for today’s NFL

It remains to be seen just how good of a GM he will turn out to be, but he has already clearly separated himself from the likes of Idzik and Mac

And unless you aren’t a big fan of Zach, it’s very hard to criticize the 1st four picks this year — if things really work out, we could potentially wind up with 2 Pro Bowlers

Can’t say the same for any of the Idzik or Mac drafts

The 2021 NY Jets — finally a clear step in the right direction

The Jets aren’t winning a Super Bowl anytime soon, so the defense can wait till next year or even 2023 — Bravo JD!

Jets81, SOJAZ, NYGANGGREEN and 6 others like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Sooooo, OffenseWinsChampionships????

stinkyB, K'OB, abyzmul and 13 others like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Denzel Mims > Jerry Jeudy

4. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

It is nice for a change to have a GM respected around the league that has a clue about what he’s doing

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Jumping the gun on that one.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

True. Although I don’t agree with the OP that Mims has limited ability to get separation. He definitely needed some more coaching and exposure to maximize that, as well as some play calling to better suite his strong points and IMO he got neither.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is a DWC thread, there's no room for nuance here.

FJF likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Did DWC turn into OWC?

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Wait did Brian Schitty really go to Jax to be their OC?? Poor sunshine.

matt robinson 17 and Red Menace like this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm kind of struck by the title thread because to me the Cowboys don't do it right. They win far less often than a team with their resources ought to.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!?!?!! Yeah, I am confused with that too. Wasn't Dak Prescott a 4th round pick?

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

hes talking about aikman smith Irvin Cowboys?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Mims 40, 10yd and 20 yd splits were all better than Jeudy.

nycarl and Losmeister like this.
  14. Br4d

Aikman, Smith, Irvin Cowboys was assembled pre-salary cap and fell apart in the post-exemption years.

Teams got a few years to adapt to the cap that ended in '96.

15. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

10yd, 20yd and 40yd time to me is the most useless number. I agree that creating separation on the football field is the most important. Mims issue was always about creating separation. He almost never did. Most of his college catches were jump ball or contested catch. Jeudy is a great route runner I am not too concerned about him in the long run.

SOJAZ and Jerryjeudy like this.
  16. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

It’s a QB and passing game dominant league with all the CTE-related rule changes favoring QBs and WRs, TEs and RBs who catch passes

The Cowboys used the same formula in different eras, but it makes even more sense now than ever before — get your franchise QB (Dak) and use your top draft picks for the next few years to surround him with offensive weapons and protection at WR/RB/OL in order to maximize the probability that the QB will develop properly and reach his potential

Building the defense thru the draft can wait

The ultimate success of a team in terms of wins and losses is a result of many factors — coaching, injuries, drafting, signing free agents, salary cap management, offense, defense and special teams

The Cowboys formula — get the QB and immediately surround him with weapons and protection in the high rounds in the draft because QB development during the rookie contract is THE most important variable in terms of establishing a winning franchise in today’s NFL — is the best one based on the CTE-related rule changes that heavily favor the QB and WRs

WRs who can gain separation quickly and consistently (like Edelman and Elijah Moore) serve as additional protection for a QB because he can get the ball out faster, which diminishes the probability of taking damage and increases the probability of throwing for a completion, both factors which enhance the development of a young QB

Darnold was drafted very high and then Mac ignored the OL and WR position in the high rounds of the draft afterwards — which never made any sense — how was Darnold supposed to develop when his OL was garbage and his WRs couldn’t get open quickly? He had to hold onto the ball, take a lot of damage and throw for a low completion %, not because he lacked the physical skills necessary to be a good QB, but because his development was completely stunted by a nonsensical approach to the NFL draft

This draft proved definitively that JD understands how to build a winning franchise in today’s NFL — he is utilizing the right blueprint to do so — whether the Jets will becoming a winning franchise is a different question and dependent on the other factors listed above

Jets79 and SOJAZ like this.
  17. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Exactly... and then there’s this as well:

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/pos...ts-2021-denver-broncos-drew-lock-01f3k1rc4nhr

Jeudy led the league last season when it came to incomplete targets that were deemed to be the quarterback's fault with 26, according to ProFootballFocus. This should not come as a major surprise given the Broncos started four different signal-callers including Drew Lock, Jeff Driskel, Brett Rypien and Kendall Hinton.

18. Br4d

Can you point at the Cowboy Super Bowl winners post-cap era that make your statements above true?

The Cowboys have made the playoffs once more often than the Jets since 2000.

Jerry Jones is slightly more successful than Woody Johnson at running an NFL franchise.

nycarl and K'OB like this.
  19. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Never agreed with this mindset. There is no reason why they can't win soon IF they hit on the Oline picks and the QB.

Lon Chaney and Rockinz like this.
  20. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Dak has been developed very well due to utilizing high draft picks on WR/OL/RB and QB development is more paramount than ever to winning post-CTE rule changes

Or do you prefer what the Jets did after drafting Darnold and spending draft pick after draft pick on defense, destroying Darnold’s ability to develop during his rookie contract?

Making the playoffs is dependent on a lot more than QB development, as I clearly stated in my post, but without it, developing into a winning franchise is unlikely

I utilized the Cowboys as an example of a team that used the right drafting blueprint to develop their franchise QB, which is exactly why Dak has turned into a top flight QB— their defense now needs to be addressed to turn them into a consistently winning franchise — you are making an argument I never tried to make...

JD just aced the 2021 NFL Draft

Round 1: Franchise QB
    Round 1: Best LG to pair with Becton on left side to protect Franchise QB
    Round 2: Best WR available at creating separation quickly and consistently (assists OL in protecting QB)
    Round 4: RB with excellent lower body strength, wiggle, elusiveness, and receiving skills to protect QB

Joe Douglas used his Top 4 picks to choose the franchise QB and then immediately surround him with an excellent pass protector, a WR who also indirectly aids in pass protection due to getting open quickly who can also catch a high # of passes, and improved the running game overnight with a RB with receiving ability, which is also important in the development and protection of a QB

I wrote about this type of WR before last year’s draft and JD didn’t get it done last year — in 2021, I’m giving JD a perfect 10 for his 1st 4 picks

Elijah Moore, unlike Denzel Mims, has a very high IPP (Indirect Pass Protection) score, and I’m thrilled that Douglas targeted him — WRs with high IPP scores are the best types to DEVELOP a young QB in the NFL, particularly when the offensive line isn’t amazing

I was pissed at JD last year for not selecting a high IPP WR, though I am thrilled that Becton is an absolute monster

WRs are indirectly involved in pass protection:

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/wrs-are-indirectly-involved-in-pass-protection.93876/

jonnyd likes this.