2022 Prospects to look at

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, May 5, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Figured instead of blasting 1 thread in the offseason, we could have a thread to discuss the prospects for 2022. we'll have 2 1st rounders again (thanks seattle) plus 2 2nd rounders so 4 premium picks. I'm htinking our picks are likely in the 8-12 range and in the 20-26 range for the 1st

I'll start off

EDGE Zach Harrison
    6-6 265ish lbs

[​IMG]

Analysis: Zach is an interesting prospects. I've seen him mocked as high as 3 and as low as 26. of course it's super early. he only has 5.5 career sacks in 17 games but he is very raw. a guy who needs to refine technique but he is very gifted physically and a force. he has the frame to add more weight but his size is already good for a 4-3 DE. he has a damn near perfect composite grade of 0.9933 (out of 10) and is rumored to run sub 4.5 in the 40. he can close on a QB quick and he's got the strength needed too. should bulk up to 270-275ish without too much loss of speed. I expect a big 2021 season out of him but hopefully not too big so he can fall to us a little.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm sure Douglas and his scouts ae already looking at guys for 2022, and even 2023, but they get paid to do it. I'm going to go "on vacation" for a few months before I invest time and energy into next year's draft. Hell, I barely survived this one!

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've brought up Harrison as a possible 2022 1st rounder. If we can't get Thibodeaux, he'd be a nice consolation prize.

4. Jason MacIsaac

As much as I want the Jets to take a cover corner like Derek Stingley. I believe EDGE, MLB and RT would be my targets. Early projections have this as quite the draft for CB.

5. GasedAndConfused

early projections I see are weak at WR and CB, strong at O-line and TE

6. Jason MacIsaac

haha The dust should settle on that by October.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It is going to be strong at the top for DE, so we should be able to get a much better DE prospect than we could have this year. Hopefully, it will be strong at TE and CB as well. I hope there will be some excellent RT prospects as well, but even if we have to extend Fant a year or two, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Who knows? It's not likely, but by next year's draft we might realize that we don't need another CB. All the youngsters we have migh have proven their worth. I think we'll still need a #1 CB, however.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

TE looks pretty strong. could see 5 in the 1st 2 rounds go.
    CB isn't looking great so hopefully 2 of the 10 young guys we have steps up

9. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Good we need a solid TE.
    Although I would be worried to overdraft them.

Depending where is our pick, I would highly recommend to trade down next year. Just like the Dolphins did this year. Collect more assets for the future while keeping building the roster with more depth.

10. GasedAndConfused

we have 2 1sts and 2 2nds next year. i'm not against trading down but we have plenty of premium picks so depends who falls and whatnot. way too early to tell. If there is a stud edge or RT in the 1st i'd take it over a trade down. I think our first 4 picks should be OT, Edge, OG, TE. then load up on back 7 after that and maybe 1 WR somewhere. it's a weak WR class though, i'm ok not taking one if we try and bring back crowder and cole for another year. I think we are good at WR for the time being espcially if mims and moore both pan out.

Lon Chaney and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Kryoptix

I meant for future draft pick. Spreading the draft capital over the years so we can remain competitive.

The Dolphins traded Houston pick for 12th overall, 1st 2022 and 1st 2023. Something similar. That's what I meant. Hopefully there is some nice coveted QBs at the top.

blackssmagic likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

it was also top 3. the jets likely won't have a top 3 pick. and lets not use any trade houston has done as a barometer. they have been awful trades for the past 2 years and nobody will use their trades as a standard

Leicester Jet likes this.
  13. Kryoptix

I will never use Houston as a barometer. I was mentioning the Dolphins.

Sometime even draft pick in the early teens can get you a future first (see giants) in a trade down scenario.

blackssmagic likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

dolphins had their QB and got lucky a team needed a QB badly in a good QB class and fell in love with one. niners gave up a lot to go from 12 to 3. then miami gave up the 2022 niners pick in the 1st to move back up to 6 for waddle. so essentiall they traded down from 3 to 6 for a 2023 1st rounder. not really great overall for them TBH.

Giants got a great value from the bears to move from 11 to 20 since their guy got swiped at 10 before they picked and were still able to land their 2nd choice of WR

15. NCJetsfan

I may disagree regarding the first 4 picks or I could wind up agreeing. It all depends on what happens this season.

IMO one of the first two picks should definitely be a DE if JFM, Huff or Zuniga don't prove to be worthy of starting opposite Lawson. We may need to even trade up to get the DE we want. If that is still a need, imo that should be the #1 priority. Even if Nasirildeen and/or Sherwood prove to ready to be a good starter at WLB, we could very easily be looking to add a Sam LB and/or a MLB. That should probably be priorities #2 and #3. Unless the Jets have decided to extend Fant's contract, then RT should probably be the #3-4 priority unless CB proves to be a real issue. TE should probably be the next priority if Herndon doesn't show major improvement and Yeboah hasn't done much. If one or both have good seasons this year, then TE could go to a lesser priority or maybe even not at all. Clark doesn't prove to be a solid starter, OG becomes a need (unless JD signs a quality starter in FA), but I think he'll look to take one in the 3rd or 4th round. He won't be able to afford to pay an OL with 3-4 1st and 2nd round picks. If Clark proves to be a solid starter, then the only thing we'd need at OG would be depth, and the kid from BYU may prove to be a quality player who can push Clark or at least be solid depth.

At this point, with some projection, I would rate the priorities like this:

1. DE
    2. Sam/MLB
    3.Sam/MLB/RT/CB
    4. TE (could move up to #3 or even #2)
    5.OL depth

I'm truly hoping that we will have no big needs in next year's draft. I'd love it if Clark, Huff, and our young CBs prove to be up to the challenge to be quality starters. If so, then JD can just take BPA or target certain positions to upgrade. The likelihood is that we will look to take a DE, CB, and LB at a minimum.

As you said, however, the priorities could change depending upon what happens with our young players. If Mims, Davis or Moore don't look to be panning out, WR could become a priority. If Clark can't nail down the RG spot or if Fant doesn't play as well at RT as they think he will, then they could become bigger priorities.

16. GasedAndConfused

well I did list DE (EDGE) as well. the only main difference is you want a LBer which I wanted this eyar but seeing what JD and saleh are doing, I don't think LBer is a big need. they are using tweener safeties for LBers so if anyhting it would be a safety they draft to play LBer most likely. The big thing too is so much can change depending on FA and who works out and who doesn't.

17. NCJetsfan

Seriously? You think I don't know that EDGE is the same as DE? Why do you always do this? Stop insulting my intelligence.

I totally disagree regarding LB. I know you wanted LBs this year, but offense had to come first, and I was right about that. Yes, maybe one or both of Sherwood and Hamsah will solve the problem at WLB, but if Davis doesn't work out or the Jets don't re-sign him we'll need 2 LBs at that spot and I assume that JD would want to draft Mosely's replacement and start grooming him as well.

18. GasedAndConfused

dude chill/ that wasn't my intent at all. sometimes people misread something or skim through and miss something. the way you responded it seemed like you didn't realize I said DE. that's all. shit happens. doesn't mean anyone is insulting you

19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I think we'll most likely address the defense in the first round next year

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Ohio does put out great Edges. I’d never want a QB or DB from there but they churned out the last 3 great QBAssassins.

LB 100% depends on how this year turns out. If our 2 1st rd picks play up to their potential, it’ll be a position of strength.

CB Our system is developed where we don’t need a shut down corner. We create pressure up front.

TE Even if he has a great year, I don’t know if Herndon is the type of high character guy Douglas goes for.

OL like LB is a big TBD. Is Fant the guy JD thinks he can be. Did our developmental OL develop. If both those questions are yes then we won’t need a started but later round depth is always a good thing.

I think 100% our 1st pick is EDGE. A huge need in a Saleh D and a high paid position so positional value comes into play. If both of our picks are in the bottom half of the round, I’d even trade up for one of the top 2 prospects.

Staying with the pattern of Trenches in the 1st, receiver in the 2nd:

Rd 1 - Edge
    Rd 1 - Center
    Rd 2 - TE
    Rd 2 - DL

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.