Possible 53-Man Roster for 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, May 4, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

mcgovern and fant were also good signings

KingRoach and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. How is it a weakness? Because he didn't waste money overpaying for FAs last year when he wasn't even certain there'd be a season? Because he didn't try to put lipstick on a pig by propping up Gase and Darnold by signing a bunch of FAs that you thought he should? Because his contracts were smartly designed to protect the team and gave the team outs after a season or two with little or no dead money?

He has shown wisdom, disgression and common sense in not paying Tier 1 money to FAs he classified as Tier 2, in saving money for this season, and then signing young ascending FAs like Lawson, Davis (WR), Cole, and Rankins, plus perhaps the best STs player in the NFL, a young LB with potential and speed (Jarrad Davis), solid vets like Vinny Curry, LaMarcus Joyner, and Tyler Kroft, and added OL depth at C/OG in Dan Feeney. in a weak FA OL class. He is the first to add quality Edge Rushers since the Jets drafted Jon Abraham and Shaun Ellis. Notice that is plural, not singular, and they're rumored to have interest in signing Melvin Ingram.

Again, how exactly, is that a weakness? SMH

Jets79 likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i actually really love the davis at 12.5 mil over the galloday at 21 million

NYGANGGREEN and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the players he added sucked. And they weren't cheap, FA signings never are.

Letting Anderson walk and signing Perriman as a replacement was a mistake, even Douglas himself admits that.

5. NCJetsfan

So he made one mistake. Even the best GMs make mistakes, and none of us are perfect. The players he added didn't suck. They struggled initially, but that was to be expected with no mini-camps, no OTAs, a weird TC, no preseason games, and 4 new starters on the OL. To suggest otherwise is the height of ignorance. They all improved greatly the second half of the season. It was obvious in watching the games and in looking at their stats. If you look at their contracts, it's obvious that they weren't signed as the final solution or long-term answers. He did the best he could with who was available in FA. Again, he wasn't going to give Tier 1 money to Tier 2 players, and he wasn't going to hand out any crazy, huge contracts like Mac. They were stop-gap signings with easy outs for the team. That's smart. He can't sign players that aren't there in FA. He's not going to make stupid signings like Mac. He believes in mostly building through the draft, and that is the correct way, the smart way to build a team. I'm sorry that you can't see that.

Jets79 likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So you think Van Rotten is going to be good in 2021? What about Alex Lewis? The guy went AWOL last season by the way so no he didn't improve greatly in the second half of the season

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I like JD as far as the next guy. On the surface he appears to be the best GM we’ve had in some time. That said, he has 2 wins under his belt and at the helm of a team expected to finish last in the division next year. We can’t go overboard with the praise.

Jetsruby and BrowningNagle like this.
  8. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas has had a terrible free agency history so far. I mean...are we really here praising McGovern as his best free agent signing?! A guy who we all would hope would be replaced in the draft. Joe D is dishing out very smart and financially friendly contracts to 3rd tier players. Instead of getting any top talent in Free Agency, we are getting lower tier players at a discount. I strongly dislike that. We need top talent on the team. Let's hop he spends the big FA money in 2 years if this team progresses and start to make the playoffs.

9. Jetsruby

I love JD, imo he has the potential to be our mainstay GM. However, it's drinking koolaid to say his free agent approach and signings have been good.

10. NCJetsfan

ROFLMAO!!! Whatever. Jets fans. SMH I suggest that you find a new team to root for because you're going to be VERY unhappy with Joe Douglas if you think he has had a terrible FA so far. He knows what he's doing. You, OTOH, are clueless.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  11. Jetsruby

Yeah I'm so glad he bestowed the all-great Brashad Perriman onto us last year. You're drinking the koolaid hard. I love JD, but his past Free Agent classes have been dog.

12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Free agency is a two way street and doesn't take place in a vacuum.

Thuney is now the highest paid guard in the league. No away he is choosing the Jets over KC.

Linsley is now the highest paid center in the league. He said SD was his ideal fit to reunite with Baluga (and I think a former coach)

JuJu turned down more money from Baltimore to return to Pittsburgh.

It's so easy to say "we should've signed this guy or that guy". Real life doesn't work that way.

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't think he wanted to spend money last year to be honest. I think that's why we saw so many 1 year deals. He looked at the roster and coaching staff and said "fuck this". He knew it wasn't a one year fix and throwing stupid money around would only make the situation worse.

He added two legit playmakers this year at positions of need on smart contracts. Build the rest through the draft and trades.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.