Roster Moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 5, 2021.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Clearly they are looking for a 3d stringer. Hoyer and Driskel are veterans for locker room and emergency use only. JD must have liked what he saw in practice from Morgan last year as back-up.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well it’s an interesting approach...neither Hoyer nor Driskell would be likely to win much, so it’s like punting on the season a bit if Wilson goes down....like they’re saying we’re not a playoff team anyway, may as well let Morgan get some experience

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I would rather grab Justin Houston over Melvin Ingram.....

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, if Zach does go down (fingers crossed not the case), wouldn't you want to get a look at Morgan? The guy was pretty high on Jets draft boards for them to draft him in 4th round with Sam and Flacco in fold. Otherwise it is just an absolute waste of a pick. Like I said before, we have a starter (Zach) and a back-up (Morgan), now we need a cheap 3d string vet and use the CAP room for weapons to help them.

SOJAZ, azhar80 and cval like this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We need a vet for Zach and Morgan to learn from. How to prepare from week to week what it is like to be an NFL QB. It will be even better if we got somebody that New the offense we will be running.

MoWilkBeast and Borat like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed, a 3d string cheap vet like Hoyer is perfect.

Noam and cval like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe not, if Morgan is decent, but even if he's not, why not do things this way? I don't think either Hoyer or Driskell have that much they could teach Zach, and between LaFleur, Knapp and Calabrese, Zach should get plenty of mentoring and coaching, and after this mini-camp, he can continue to work with his private QB Coach Beck. Also, it makes sense to me in a year where they don't have a mandate to make the playoffs, are rebuilding, and have a rookie QB, to go with as many of their young players as they possibly to hasten their development and experience, and to see who truly can help them going forward. With all the draft picks they have next year and FA, they could look to replace players who don't prove to be keepers this year. So, in essence, they would be speeding up the team's readiness to compete with the young players who are keepers, learning more about their players, and learning who's a keeper and who isn't. IMO it's the wise way to go except for maybe the OL and LB where they don't really have any young players who are probably keepers anyway, except maybe Davis.

8. NCJetsfan

9. NCJetsfan

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/13/jets-claim-austin-walter-off-waivers/

Jets claim Austin Walter off waivers
    Posted by Josh Alper on May 13, 2021, 4:59 PM EDT

Jets head coach Robert Saleh and offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur will be welcoming a familiar face to the team.

The Jets announced that they have claimed running back Austin Walter off of waivers. Walter was let go by the 49ers on Wednesday while Saleh and LaFleur took their jobs with the Jets earlier this year.

Walter initially signed with the 49ers after going undrafted in 2019, but moved to the Giants practice squad after being cut. He played one game for the Giants and spent time in the XFL before returning to play four games for the Niners last year.

Walter had one catch for 27 yards and one carry for three yards while averaging 18.6 yards per kickoff return in that 2020 action.

The Jets waived running back Pete Guerriero in a corresponding move.

10. NCJetsfan

11. NCJetsfan

12. NCJetsfan

I love the emphasis JD and Saleh put on STs this offseason. According to something I read a couple of days ago, several other teams had interest in our STs Coordinator, Brant Boyer. In order to keep him, the Jets had to give him more power/input than he normally would have had. That's why Brown was re-signed, and one reason we took so many DBs at the end of the draft. Our gunners have been slow, and not that good, and it forced Mann to shorten his kicks and go for more height last season. Now he ought to be able to boom away and keep opponents pinned deep when we have to punt, and keep opposing teams' KOR yardage down, making it harder on them, and potentially giving us better field position.

#32 NCJetsfan, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
  13. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

love it

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah man. I forget which seasons they were but before Boyer got here our coverages units were train wrecks for a couple years in a row.

It's been much better since he got here but there's no reason (other than a shitty kicker) why we shouldn't have a top unit this year.

cval likes this.
  15. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

this trope is tired af... mclown didnt ever literally HELP any QB he backed up... unless your talking how top set your alarm and show up on time...

its a myth

16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

we gotaa ridda the gunners b4 last season, the fast Cannon/RB... and the WR...whose name escapes me.. and we were crap last year.

now... i dont know how much hang time can be sacrificed... how all that will play out...

i just wanna see some SPEED on D and ST

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The Jets signed Hardin away from the Saints who was regarded as an elite gunner, and potential sneaky CB signing.

this Cole kid supposedly does it all on specials.

the corners and LB’s they drafted all have speed to burn. ST’s coverage units should be much improved

18. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

I remember that Bill Parcells once said that depth in the defensive backfield equaled good special teams. He also said that special teams was the easiest (read quickest) to fix. Looking at our draft, it appears that this is what Joe D is trying to do. Now if any of these kids turns into a starter on D... Bonus points!!

NCJetsfan and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I don't think it's wasting a roster spot to keep a 3rd QB on the roster. Injuries are part of the game, and every year, QBs go down with injuries. If other teams are rolling with just 2 QBs, then that's a foolish decision imo. It's bad enough with the NFL's stupid gameday roster crap that the 3rd stringer won't be active on game day, but if he's on the PS, he's as good as gone if he's any good and another team has an injury. It's called insurance at the most important position. I don't care if they don't sign a Hoyer or Driskell or even Mullens, but I hope the Jets will at least keep Mike White and have 3 QBs in case of injury to Wilson or Morgan. Hopefully, the 2nd QB will never even be needed, much less the 3rd, but I want that insurance.

#39 NCJetsfan, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Leicester Jet likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I believe that one of the DBs we added blocked 4 punts in college. How long has it been since the Jets blocked a punt?

matt robinson 17 and J-Raw24 like this.