Jets WR best in a long time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 6, 2021.

1. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

2015 was the last time I've enjoyed seeing the Jets WR corps perform elite. Decker and Marshall were such a great combo at #1 and #2.

blackssmagic, Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What was Al Toon, chopped liver? He was 6'4." Jerome Barkum was 6'4." Richard Castor was 6'5."

Fiftynine and GasedAndConfused like this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Wasn’t a big Marshall fan during his playing days but I’m a fan now. Despite the fact he played for multiple teams, he associates himself with the Jets. I fucks with him for that.

50ShadesOfGreen likes this.
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Maynard/Sauer and Walker/Toon were the best, but Al Toon/Rob Moore gets overlooked despite being great while it lasted

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In 1998 Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Chrebet caught 158 passes for 2,214 yards and 18 TD's. They both had 1,000 yard seasons. QB was Vinny.

Other duos with 1k+ yards in the same season:

2015 Marshall-Decker. QB was Fitzpatrick.
    1986 Toon-Walker. QB was O'Brien.
    1967-1968 Maynard-Sauer x2. QB was Namath.
    1962 Powell-Maynard. QB was a cast of thousands.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

The Namath combo is especially impressive as it was a completely different game then, not least of all die to the shorter schedules (12 games back then?).

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Actually the passing yards per game were at their highest for two decades during the AFL's first decade. The average yards passing per team in 1969 at the end of the AFL was 179 yards per team per game. It took until 1979 for the combined NFL to reach that mark again at 180 yards per team per game. For most of the 70's the average NFL team passed for 155-160 yards per game.

The AFL was a deep passing offensive display for it's entire existence and the Namath-led Jets were at the top of the heap. To give you an idea of how far the Jets were in front of the pack in the 60's, the Baltimore Colts passed for 2,872 yards in 1968 (Earl Morrall not Johnny Unitas) and the Jets team they faced in Super Bowl III had passed for 3,574 yards that season - a 20% increase over the Colts. The Jets backup QB Babe Parilli came in in relief of Namath a few times in blowouts and he passed for 401 yards in those few appearances, which was a 7th of the Colts team total.

8. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

You're severely underrating Holmes, Braylon, Cotchery in 2010.

Marshall/Decker was probably the best we had since Moss/Coles/Chrebet days. I like this new WR corp but it's very unproven. Corey Davis is still unproven, he's had a good year but hasn't passed 1k yards. I don't think we have a 1k yard receiver. Mims looked good but was limited to the bad offense. He still has a lot to prove. Moore looks like he could be really good, but once again, unproven. Crowder is dependable when he plays but also injury prone.

I think the WRs look good, probably not as good as 2015. I imagine we can add an elite WR next season and if Mims and Moore perform well, then it could become the best we've had in a while.

9. NCJetsfan

It still is the best WR corps we've possibly ever had on depth and overall talent alone. We go 5 deep, maybe deeper. We have more speed, height and play-making ability than we've had in a good while. We may not have a 1,000 yard WR this season due to having a rookie QB and probably running the ball a lot, but we have 4 WRs each of whom are capable of putting up a 1,000 yard season.

KingRoach likes this.
  10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Part of the reason we often seem to have a sub-standard wide receiver corps is the fact that when we do find a good player, we almost invariably trade him away, or let him leave through free agency.

Rob Moore, Keyshawn Johnson, Laveranues Coles, Santana Moss, Robby Anderson... we've let some really good talent go when it came time to give them a second contract. Add in the number of times we select or sign poor players, and it adds up to a total lack of consistency and a receiving corps that is always in a state of flux.

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I like that we seemingly have a set of guys with speed and decent hands

Brady showed the effectiveness of throwing to the open man -- saw it in his very first games as a starter

Stafford had megatron and wasn't nearly as effective

it's like jab jab punch. Keeping hitting with effective, productive passes and occasionally hit that big punch versus throwing haymakers all the time. A lot will depend on how C.Davis plays

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was never a big fan of Keyshawn Johnson. I thought he was overrated and definitely wasn't worth the #1 pick. I also thought he was an asshole. Trading him for 2 current year firsts was an excellent move (he wanted big money and got it from Tampa.) He ended up playing 3.5 seasons with Tampa.

NCJetsfan and KingRoach like this.
  13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

This group has potential to be one of the better ones this team has had at WR, but still too many questions. How good will Mims be? Will Corey Davis look like he did in 2020? What will Moore be in 2020 and beyond? Will Crowder even be on the team (hope so)?
    As it stands now, this is probably the deepest WR group I can remember though. That's a very solid, well-rounded top 5 NFL-caliber receivers. And even 6, 7, 8 (last year's 2, 3, 4) are good depth for those spots.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  14. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see how Mims rebounds after mostly being out with injury last year.

REVISion likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the 1k yards thing is kinda meh in todays NFL. especially with injuries and teams who use a lot of WRs

We said the same thing about robby but then he leaves and gets 1k yards his 1st year off the team.
    Davis was also in an offense that didn't pass much. they mostly used him to get 1st downs and still he was only 16 yards off from 1k. he had 22 yards less then mike evans on 17 less targets. he also had a 75% + 1st down percentage. 3 out of every 4 balls he caught were for 1st downs. that's 6th in the NFL for players with 50+ catches. The other thing is targets. he only had 92 targets. every 1k reciever had at least 100 targets but usually much more. the next WR with under 100 targets was nelson agholar who had 82 for 896 yards

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

He already rebounded last season. He played very well once his hammies healed. He consistently got open against some of the top CBs in the NFL and made catches and he blocked. It's not his fault Sam rarely looked for him.

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm loving the front office's approach to the WR position. Love bringing in Davis and drafting a speedster early.

Having said that, Moore and Mims are question marks. I think they both have really good chances of being good, but they're not there yet.

If Zach has a promising season, I wouldnt be surprised to see JD trade for a big time WR to help Zach make the jump to elite.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

People keep sleeping on Crowder.

He may be a cap casualty after next season but he was clutch for us last year.

If our QB is the real deal defenses are going to have a hard time covering these guys when we spread them out.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Keyshawn may have been overrated, but he was good. And he played seven more seasons after leaving the Jets. The draft picks were nice, but we lost a really nice offensive weapon and threw our receiver corps into a state of flux again... until Coles emerged as a really good receiver, at which point we let him get away in free agency, which threw our receiver corps into a state of flux until Moss emerged as a really good player, at which point we traded him away to get Coles back.

It's like we don't know what to do with a good receiver.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that whole coles moss fiasco still haunts me. so bad. we should have just paid coles and kept both

kevda5n9ne likes this.