Possible 53-Man Roster for 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, May 4, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah they seemed to have whiffed on the LT but to be fair he was considered the top one by many and still could have a decent career. and they are paying a ton at CB and in cap hell now and next year too. not sure what gettleman is doing over there. but the exta picks they got for trading down should help

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think they had to pay Leonard Williams a ton too, especially after trading for him mid year.

3. GasedAndConfused

Strengths
    • Burly upper body with a broad chest and thick arms
    • Nasty with an offensive lineman's demeanor as a block-finisher
    • Impressive play strength at point of attack
    • Gets early arm extension and peppers his opponent with stiff jabs
    • Has size and aggression to kick out linebackers and open a run lane
    • Trusted to handle pass-protection duties for star quarterback
    • Capable staying in front of edge rushers and blitzers
    • Began to come on late in the season as a pass-catcher
    • Will lay the lumber as a blocker on kick-return unit

BEST TRAIT - Blocking

WORST TRAIT - Speed

RED FLAGS - None

Wesco doesn’t project as an impact receiving threat in the NFL and his usage was limited in college but he can handle basic responsibilities. A team won’t be investing in Wesco for his receiving potential or athletic profile. With that said, he does have exciting potential as a blocker who can execute from all over the formation. Wesco is a powerful blocker with good technique and a maulers mentality that makes him highly effective whether he’s lined up in-line, flexed or in the backfield. Wesco should be a quality special teamer and valuable subpackage contributor.

Round Grade - Fifth Round Value

He was brought in soley as a blocker to help the o-line and protect sam and add to the run game. which is why it makes sense if he moves to FB. We just never used him because we suck. I think laflaur will find a role for him on offense this season as a FB and blocker and maybe even a sneak attack catch here and there

Noam likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

they paid him way too much. 21PAA. but he's cheap on the cap this year but starting next year his cap number baloons

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Mosley, Leonard is another good player we seemed fine trading away due to his upcoming contract. Now we're doing it again with CJ. SOJ?

6. GasedAndConfused

leonard was a solid player who wanted elite money at a position we were stacked at. we just signed rankins, curry and lawson for less money then williams is getting per year. plus we have Q, JFM, foley, Shepard. he just wanted too much money for his performance and the jets already had replacements so didn't make sense

7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Kyle Juszczyk ran a 4.71 and is smaller so I’d say, yeah.

8. KingRoach

I agree the Texans are trash. On paper they have 2 winnable games this year, the Jags and the Jags

On paper the Lions have 2 winnable games, the Bengals and the Eagles.

It’s going to be an exciting race to the bottom this year.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

wouldn't surprise me if the lions take a QB with their 1st pick

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You just made your own dumb ass point. He's much slower.

Go watch his college highlight tape. It probably has every single catch he's ever made. He couldn't outrun Jace Amaro if Jace was chasing him with a knife.

twown likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Oh I'm not disputing that he might have some value in that role. What I'm disputing is dopey trying to sell him as having any speed at all.

12. GasedAndConfused

yeah most TEs run around a 4.7. the faster ones around a 4.6. wesco is pretty slow. he's a blocker only pretty much

13. KingRoach

I thought (based on the conversation) we were talking about the possibility of converting him to fullback. I forgot you don’t like “details” or “following a conversation”.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

You said he has the speed to be a fullback. What sort of scale are you using for that? He's capable of being the slowest non-lineman on the field? He's slow and incredibly robotic which is the end point, cockroach.

I do not really anticipate he'll make the roster unless he proves to be some sort of godly blocker. Which he sucked at last year and whiffed several times almost leading to sacks in pass protection.

#134 Jonathan_Vilma, May 5, 2021
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
    patleahy likes this.
  15. KingRoach

I didn’t originally suggest it, Jessica. I was simply being positive and exploring possibilities.

He wouldn’t be the slowest FB in the nfl but he’d be one of the biggest.

What’s with you and not paying attention? Is reading that difficult for you? Has staying on topic always been a problem for you?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

kind of shows the problem with big free agency spending, huh? Probably backfired at least as much as it succeeds

Mac loved to make the splash play and pay huge dollars for past performance

I like JDs approach this year better...pay good money where necessary, but do it for younger players coming into their prime at more critical positions....sure you’re not going to hit on every one, but you have to have the upside...

NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  17. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Not going to lie, i strong disagree. When Macc spent all that money in 2015 we almost made the playoffs at 10-6. Our 2009 and 2010 runs were fueled by Tannenbaum spending big in FA, sometimes overspending. It makes sense to overspend when you hit the contender window. We aren't there yet. Of course, can you get to a contender state if you don't spend anything in FA? You can but you have to draft really well.

I like spending big in FA, having these odd years the Jets make runs and then letting the cap situation cool down. I would have much rather spent the last decade enjoying 2 years of competitive jets, 2 years of cap-crunched bad jets on and off instead of nearly 10 years of pitiful football pulling out my hair.

Some of the worst times were under Idzik when he had all that money to spend and sat on it. Macc spent big at first and then sat back until his seat was on fire.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  18. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

To add on this, look at JD's 2020 free agent class.

Brashad Perriman, Greg Van Roten, George Fant, Alex Lewis, Connor Mcgovern, Brian Poole.

Poole was the only good signing and even he has a limited impact and is not on the roster now. I mean, the above is just sad to look at. I like Joe Douglas and what he's done alot, but I'm not a fan of his Free Agent approach. Imagine if we had the draft we did and we got Joe Thuney, Corey Linsley, William Jackson, and Smith-Schuster. This team would legitimately have playoff potential.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

JD is only going to spend big on FAs when they're young and still ascending. You won't see any contracts like Mac gave Mosely or Trumaine Johnson. The contracts last year were for stop-gap OL, re-signing Poole, and a cheap contract on Perriman. That's smart handling of FA. He said that he was not going to pay 2nd tier FAs 1st tier money and way over pay. He will never do that. He also wasn't sure that there would even be a season last year due to Covid, so wasn't going to shell out a lot of money for a season that might never happen. I think he also knew that Gase and Sam both needed to go, so there was no sense shelling out a lot of money last year to prop them up, and rolled it over til this season where he signed a LOT of good players who will help this team.

You're wrong. McGovern was very good the second half of the season. I guess you think it doesn't matter to have almost a completely new OL (4 of 5 players), not OTAs, no mini-camp, a weird TC, and no preseaon. If so, then you need to re-think your position. The OL was bad at first, but got much better the 2nd half of the season.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yep, free agency appears to be Douglas' weakness. I think his strength is getting value in trades. Drafting is still TBD, despite the praise given on this website.

He values the offensive line though, which is something we haven't had since Mangini so that's a positive