How do we stack within the division?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cval, May 5, 2021.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You listen to the pundits and what expectations the Jets should have but where do we stack?

The Bills are clearly the best team in the division but I am not sold on the Dolphins or the Patriots. Patriots get the love because of Belicheat and Tua did not look like an NFL Qb last season.

Do not get me wrong we are clearly the worst team in the division going in but if the running game actually works and Zach plays well for a rookie and D-line lives up to it's potential we have a shot of not being last.

I am always optimistic in May.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Really tough to say because the Dolphins, Pats and Jets have all added a lot of talent to their rosters this offseason. Ultimately I think it will all come down to the QB's. Allen is clearly the current leader there. Tua looked mediocre last year and Wilson/Jones are unknowns but it's safe to say Wilson has a higher ceiling than Jones and probably a higher ceiling than Tua.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think we're returning to the early 2000's to 2005-2006ish era of the division in terms of competitiveness minus all the Patriots SB wins.

I think the Bills take a step back. They somewhat overachieved and won a lot of games down the stretch even without any real running game. That's not the norm.

As far as I know they are returning the same offensive line and same runningbacks.

azhar80 likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Agree with the Bills taking a step back. They were 5-1 in one score games last season and close game records tend to experience strong mean reversion. All of the AFCE teams had pretty hard schedules last year so that's a bit of a wash.

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Last year the 49ers D was hit hard with injuries but Saleh still got them to perform at a high level. I remember reading their players would run thru a wall for him and that he was a real leader who they would follow. Obviously we have to see how this plays out but I think he will do for the Jets what McDermott has done for the Bills and that's change the culture from losing to winning. I think the Jets will be competitive because I think Saleh will have the D playing tough and keeping us in games. Lets hope Wilson can do in his rookie year what Herbert did in his or even Burrow before the injury. But there will be some growing pains with a rookie QB. Plus new coach and coaching staff along with new system/schemes to learn. This year they probably finish last or maybe 3rd but I just want to see things heading in the right direction for once.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

realistically we are still last by quite a bit

1) bills (estimated 10-12 wins)
    they are the top team in the division at this point. they have the best QB, a really good D and an explosive enough offense.

2) NE (estimated 9-11 wins)
    I know most may put miami at 2 but I won't. bellichick won 7 games with broken cam newton at QB one game where he threw for 69 yards. he had 8 opt outs in 2020 half of which are pro bowlers. the D is going to be much improved form last year. mac jones should be an improvement over cam. their offense will still not be great. they lack WRs and RBs. but the o-line is good, jones is smart and bill is too good of a coach and will have a nasty defense

3) Mia (estimated 7-9 wins)
    miami had a good offseason and won 10 games last year so why the slide? many of their games were won due to fitzpatrick. tua got pulled a few times on games he started and also only started 9 games. he's technically 6-3 but again fitz came in and saved a couple of them. he should have been 4-5 in his 9 starts. fitz was 4-3 in his starts. I think that'll cause a slideback. they did a great job in the draft to help tua and build on an already solid team but i've never been sold on tua and he'll have to prove me wrong

4) NYJ (estimated 6-8 wins)
    I think we'll make a big step in the right direction but we are a 2 win team with a new coach, new offensive system, new defensive system (switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3) in the middle of a rebuild with a rookie QB. we'll be watchable thankfully but a tough schedule and too many unknowns. I'd be happy with 6 wins. 2022 is the year we can really compete but this division is going to be brutal once again. no bad teams in it by 2022

Jets79, Leicester Jet, Poeman and 3 others like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with this 100%. The "wild card" is that intra-divisional games tend to not run to form - even when we were shitty we beat the all three teams even though they were better than us. Not saying it will always happen, but the incentive of beating a division rival is strong.

Still, I agree that 6 wins is a reasonable number to expect, but I'm secretly hoping that Wilson and the new weapons and CS give us 2-3 more wins.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. tubby

tubby Active Member

Bills likely take a step back. Nothing major, they're still the best team in the division but it's unrealistic to think their offense plays at that level again IMO.

Miami has a good looking defense. I'm bearish on Tua and they probably rise/fall on him.

Pats will probably be better than they were last year.

The Jets have certainly improved. But not sure how realistic it is to have a rookie QB, rookie HC, and overall young roster to make a big statement this year. Pretty bullish on our future which is much more than I can say in recent years.

9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We stack 4th.

It stands to reason that Saleh will make a bunch of inexperienced players competitive, just like the 49ers in 2020, and we get to 5-6 wins. Anything else is a bonus.

Br4d, legler82, cval and 1 other person like this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We are still a last place team, but hopefully one headed in the right direction.

stinkyB likes this.
  11. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Bills were 13-3 and really 14-2 but for hail Murray. I can’t see them winning that many games again, although the AFCE theoretically does have an easier schedule.

I look at Allen’s stats from last year. Not many QBs have ever put up the numbers he did. Of the ones that did, they generally did not repeat the same numbers 2 years in a row (a few exceptions though). He’s a great QB but I just can’t see the same numbers again, perhaps that’s just the negative bills fan in me though.

The division was an easy 6 wins for us last year, there’s no way that happens again with the improvement the pats and dolphins made. I expect to split with both.

I still see at least 10 wins, I just can’t see the same 13-3/14-2 year they up last year. Again, stats aren’t favorable for repeated records like that two years in a row.

PJ4Ever and Brook! like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is a pretty fair assessment. I don't think Buffalo will be as hot as last year. We are going to have a much more effective D in my opinion, We are not going to be blown out on every game like last year. Not to mention the loss to the Raiders was a self inflicted disgrace.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

well they won 13 last year so me saying 10-12 with an extra game is a little bit of a slide back

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good point. I forgot that we are going to 17. I have a funny feeling Buffalo and NE will be nose to nose for the division, hovering around 10 wins.

15. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

At this point there is no point on speculating. So much of it depends on Wilson and the rest of the rookie class. Should know more in training camp.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

it's possible.

all i want this year is a watchable product. the jets were just hard to watch the past 2 years. hopefully the revamped o-line and with a healthy mims, and davis, and moore, and carter, and a real OC we'll actually have a decent offense

17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The real issue is where do they pick in the 2022 draft with all those picks. 2nd / 3rd / 4th doesn't matter as much as getting a top pick next year while developing their FQB. I want to see a positive change in this franchise. The last two coaches were grossly incompetent. I want to see a competent staff that steals a win or 3 and shows that this team is a force to be reckoned with in the future and with high picks they will be.

18. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I really believe all of that stuff does not matter right now. We aren't winning the Super Bowl next season, so at the end of the year, the big question will be are we heading in the right direction as a franchise? If the answer is yes, then that is all we can hope for heading into an offseason where we can hopefully continue to trend in the right direction. Keep moving on up and not worrying about everyone else. In order to be the best, you have to beat the best. I never care about the other teams, only us.

Look at the NFC East, they are all shit. If you finish first at 8-9 are you still considered a good team?

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  19. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

We're last and it's not even close. This season is all about Wilson. If he even shows some semblance of being a FQB then we have someone to build around and we'll be in the mix sooner than later. If he's not the guy (not saying we'll know 100% after this season either way) we could be in the basement for awhile.
    Bills are the best team with a young FQB
    Pats have Bill, drafted a QB rd 1, got their opt out players back, and just spent the most FA money ever
    Dolphins seem to have a real solid front office (actually the entire division seems to be solid in the FO), they have a good young team that just won 10 games with a young QB. If Tua isn't the guy they have A TON of draft picks to make moves for a QB or to continue building around Tua
    Honestly it's the dolphins that makes me feel the most disheartened.. They're a rebuilding team like us but they're years ahead of us already and have made all the savvy moves to have the draft capital to catch up much quicker than the Jets.
    Zach HAS to be the guy we need

Bellys Lies likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We're the only team in the division adding an entirely new Coaching Staff plus and entirely new offense and defense. Plus a ship load of new, young, rookie players, including our QB1. We're starting from absolute zero.

Bill, Fish, and Pats have excellent and established coaching staffs and experienced players in the most important positions.

Clearly we're starting behind the heard. It will be interesting to watch our growth from the 1st game to the 17th!

But next season IT WILL BE ON!!!!

This will be us overtaking the Bills mid-season: