Possible 53-Man Roster for 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, May 4, 2021.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

2019 he was injured, you can’t fault him for that.

2020 was a unique situation which is why the NFLPA and league agreed to basically call it a mulligan.

He was only given money he was owed and I stand by my earlier statement, it’s a good thing he didn’t play and help the Jets get some more wins. JD is a stand up guy so I say in jest, “If JD was smart he’d have quietly suggested CJ sit out the year”

Seeing how the Jets rolled over $20mm from last years cap, the $10mm didn’t prevent us from signing anyone last year so that argument is false.

Because of the opt out, his cap hit is $10mm less this year. So if adding FA talent to the team is your goal you too should be happy he opted out.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Or something when wrong with the team that traded the 1st round pick to us! Kinda like Miami got the Texans #1, then Watson got banged up and the team sucked, so Miami ended up with a 3rd overall. If you had asked the Fish what they expected the pick to be when they made the trade they'd probably have side 'somewhere in the twenties'!

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he was the only jet to opt out and the only big FA signing by a team to opt out. when you sign a contract like that you have expectations. It was a poor move from him IMO.
    just because we rolled over cap doesn't mean anything. the point is we've still paid him 29 million so far for 0 production. He was brought in to lead the defense and be a leader and instead he bailed and took a 10 million dollar roster bonus to not play. it's the way the contract was structured. had that 10 million be a salary he wouldn't have gotten it.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Watson got banged up last year?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Huh? Are you being facetious, or what are you saying?

6. NCJetsfan

Didn't know that about you. In what sport were you a professional athlete? How long was your Army career? What did you do in the Army?

7. NCJetsfan

I could be wrong, but don't see Mosely as that type of player/person.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Meanwhile Marcus Maye played his balls off for second round contract peanuts, among others while taking the "risk" during the Covid year.

Players were probably the safest being at the facilities with all of the testing, NFL enforced protocols, temperature checks, etc. as compared to being out and about at even common places such as grocery stores or restaurants.

Mosely grabbed the bag and enjoyed a paid year off. It is what it is and I don't blame him for doing it, although if he were my colleague I wouldn't exactly be thrilled with him in the locker room.

Jets79 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I understand your thoughts and feelings on this, and do agree to some extent, but as several posters have pointed out before, one can hardly blame him. It was a business decision. Why risk his health when so little was known about Covid and its long-term effects on one's health (aside from dying)? It's not like he had been here for years and felt a strong allegiance to his teammates and CS. Yes, he had signed a huge contract, but he could still deliver on that contract following the pandemic. The optic isn't good, and it definitely hurt that he didn't play last year, but I can't blame him for not wanting to play for Gase and it was a smart business decision for him. That's the bottom line for me.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I didn't either but after missing a year on injury and signing that big deal, opting out just seemed wrong to me.
    exactly my thoughts. maye has been such a pro. he really deserves a real contract

easy when you get paid 10 mil

Jets79 likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

year b4? i forget! My point was it would be fantastic to already have our FQB, a good team, AND top picks in the 2022 draft, however that happens! With all those high picks it would be a GM's dream job.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

We can always hope the Seahawks trade Wilson!! That pick goes from a low-mid 20’s pick to potentially a top 10 one!

13. Footballgod214

Ya it's kinda scary...if our new O clicks, our 2022 pick could come AFTER the Hawks pick!

I wonder if the hawks have any regrets for trading TWO top pics? They still don't have Jamal under contract. He was good last year, but not THAT much better than the safety they traded to us. At least not 2 first round picks better. When the Seahawks GM was justifying their draft, he said "I consider Jamal our fist round pick" which is tru and all, but they have to be second guessing themselves. Especially next draft when they're without a 1st AGAIN!

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

You might be thinking of his rookie season when he went down during practice. I would love to get a high pick next year and land a stud Edge prospect, but after that, I hope we're picking in the late teens or lower. Good teams don't need to rely on top 5 picks year after year. We should strive to reach that level.

PJ4Ever and Footballgod214 like this.
  15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'm fine with Morgan as the backup. It's not like we are on the cusp and need a veteran to hold the fort down if Wilson misses time.

16. Lon Chaney

Almost 100 posts in this thread and I'm still waiting for @NCJetsfan to give me credit for the Perine to FB idea o_O

17. Footballgod214

Oh I agree. Think of the HAUL JD could get trading down from 3 to say 10 or even 15. And then again in the 2,3,4 round!

18. Footballgod214

EXCELLENT IDEA!!! Rex Ryan would be jealous!

19. NCJetsfan

Sorry, initially I didn't think much about the idea one way or the other. Then the idea started growing on me, and I meant to go back and look to see who first posited the idea, but forgot. My apologies! I didn't realize that my affirmation meant that much to you. LOL

I did say something to the effect that the poster who posted that had a great idea. Where (in what thread did you post it)? I just looked back through this thread and it isn't here.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  20. Lon Chaney

I'm only messing with you (but it's post #1918 in the FA thread - not that I know or anything hahaha) It's an outside the box idea and I don't the Jets try it, but Wesco doesn't do it for me as far as FBs go.

NCJetsfan likes this.