What to do with CJ Mosley

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 5, 2021.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

So I just want to lay out the situation with CJ Mosley, and give a few thoughts. This is probably Mac's worst ever contract btw.

Mosley signed a 5 year contract in 2019 with a ton of guarantees:

2019: Base Salary Guaranteed 100%
    2020: Base Salary Guaranteed 100%
    2021: Base Salary Guaranteed 50%, but if he is on the roster to start 2020, 2021 Becomes Guaranteed 100%

The Opt out essentially transforms 2020 and 2021 into 2021 and 2022. So:

2021: Base Salary Guaranteed 100%
    2022: Base Salary Guaranteed 50%, but if he is on the roster to start 2021, 2022 Becomes Guaranteed 100%

You may have noticed, Mosley was on the roster to start 2021, making 2022 fully guaranteed.

Now, Mosley got $10 Million of 2020 as a roster bonus before the pandemic, so he only earns $6 million in new money this year, although technically he already earned $10 million for this upcoming year of play. Including prorated bonus, his cap hit appears as $7.5 Million this year, since the other $10 million hit the cap while he was opted out.

So in 2022, he now is set to earn $16 million fully guaranteed, for a total cap hit of $17.5 million.

The question is not whether the Jets can afford him, but why the hell would they want to for that price. He will turn 30 before that season. He is uncuttable, so the best option is a trade. I would hope to weasel another team into taking him during training camp if he looks healthy and good in preseason. But honestly, I would take literally anything in trade compensation, even a conditional pick to get that ridiculous contract off the Jets this year.

In my opinion you have to do it now, when there is a chance he could be good or suck. If he stays on the Jets in 2021, and isn't good, there is 0% chance of trading him after this year. As a rebuilding team, I'd rather move on and not take the risk that he sucks.

Ship him to the Giants, maybe Dave Gettleman will get greedy when he sees he would only have a $6 million cap hit on the Giants for 2021.

2. MaximusD163

I'll say this, I have nothing against Mosley as a person or player. I'm just looking at it from a team building perspective. If you can get Mosley out the door for literally anything, you pull the trigger.

ColoradoContrails and Losmeister like this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

While I agree largely with getting rid of him, I also think he is going to be a huge part of this defense and is a huge help in the locker room with the young guys.

This team is very young. Having guys like him and a guy like Sherman would be a big help with the rookies and team as a whole.

I wish it were not so expensive but trading a guy who was injured two years ago and took off an entire year last year, is not going to be easy. Especially with that contract

Lon Chaney and themorey like this.
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Send Moseley and a late round pick to another team. Get nothing in return. Good job Mac!

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

If he's engaged to play with us, we may as well use him. We can afford him and he might be a useful piece on D.

Alternately, if anyone is prepared to give us a sixth-rounder to eat his contract, I'd ship him off. He played a fine two quarters in a Jets uniform but missing the next 126 didn't help us any.

6. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The thing is, will he be any good after nearly 2 years off and at that price just makes the risk of playing him even worse?

If he turns up at camp and under performs or is ok in camp and then blows cold in the opening games we have got this guy for the rest of his huge contract, a great 2 1/4's and what looked like a very good player, obviously overpaid but it all boils down to whether he is shot after so long out, ie like Bell

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I feel very torn on the CJ Mosley front. If he can get back anywhere close to what he showed us in that first game against the Bills, I'd say keep him. We're already paper thin at LB with only Mosley, Davis, and Cashman as "true LBs".

However, if someone gets crazy and offers up a 4th? That might be too tempting for JD to pass up.

Would someone offer that? I highly doubt it but you never know.

9. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

This is where I am. Another team would have to be plain stupid to trade for Mosley's bloated contract when they know we are "paper thin" at linebacker. They'd have to know that if he were any good anymore we would have to keep him and that we have the cap space to do it. There are only a few teams that have the cap space to take on the contract anyway. Generally, it seems to me that trading Mosley is a pipe dream.

So, I'm down to hoping against hope that Saleh's and Cashman's reports are on the money:

"Mosley has made his way back to the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center, though, and has already met his new head coach, Robert Saleh. While speaking to reporters last week, Saleh said he got the chance to chat with Mosley for the first time since becoming the Jets head man.

“He came by, said hello,” Saleh said. “It was awesome to get to meet him. Not going to get into details of our conversation, but to be honest, my expectation is no different than any other player that’s here, and that’s for C.J. to continue to be the pro that he’s been since the day that he was drafted and the leader that he’s been and find ways to get better every single day. And C.J. definitely has that mindset, and [it’s] just a pleasure to have gotten a chance to meet him.”

Blake Cashman worked out with Mosley back in January and said he was “looking better and more ready than ever.” Jets eager to get C.J. Mosley back in 2021 after COVID-19 opt-out (usatoday.com)

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I do not think he'd still be on the roster if we received that offer. But you make a good point - we have operated the off-season under the notion that he'll be here. So now we're relatively stuck with him.

Disappointed we didn't bring Hewitt back. He's decent enough to be depth and what not.

11. MaximusD163

I understand the reservations, just remember this thread when Mosley has a substantial injury around week 3, and you suddenly realize that the Jets are on the hook for $16 million next year with no way out.

12. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I think Douglass will use Preseason as a showcase for Mosley and by the end of it he’ll be traded for the best offer

#12 Get me the Damn Ball, May 5, 2021
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
  13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

If hes good enough that another team would trade for him Id rather keep him

No one is dumb enough to trade for him with the unknowns and guarantees as is so we better just hope for the best

Get me the Damn Ball likes this.
  14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Something not quite right about the language used here. It smacks of “we feel good about Sam as our QB”

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I got the same vibe.

TwoHeadedMonster, REVISion and Jets79 like this.
  16. MaximusD163

Same here

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

he still is a FA, just looks like there’s not much of a market...not sure what’s going on there. I just remember Hewitt getting stuck chasing TE’s and WR’s down the deep middle, like he’s athletic, I just think he got caught in some bad positions last season, I liked Hewitt.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

If anyone can re-inspire him it's Saleh. I think he comes back strong. You need vets and he's still below 30. Don't see the harm by keeping him to lock down MLB, a very important position, for 3 years here.

19. MaximusD163

I don’t think Mosley is uninspired, that’s not the issue. He is under 30, only for this season. By the time the season starts, he will not have played a full game of football for almost 1,000 days. Not even joking. About 980 days, over 2 and a half years. That’s going to be a major shock to the system. I do not trust him to be healthy all season.

With $22 million still fully guaranteed, I would accept any offer to mitigate that kind of risk.

20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Maybe just maybe we have a HC and GM in lockstep, and money be damned the Mosely decision will be based upon Coach Saleh's observations about his play in the new defense and whether or not they think the team can legitimately compete in '21 and '22. Because Mosely will be effective SOMEWHERE.

BacktoQueens and nycarl like this.