Joe Douglas screwed up by trading up

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Apr 30, 2021.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We don't need Darrisaw, what part of he is a left tackle and we have one already is hard to understand?

@legler82 @KurtTheJetsFan and somebody else couldn't have given Wyatt Davis a bigger thumbs down as a guard and oddly he dropped from a potential 1st rounder to a third-round pick? That isn't a great look, is it?

Also, I have never heard one person extol the skills of Adebo, so I am sure I will learn to get on without him tbh.

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. K'OB

Why did he fall and keep on falling?

3. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

It is ironic, and very Jets-like, that a trade for a player like Vera-Tucker results in Darrisaw and Davis being available at the picks we gave up. But this argument can always be made. I recall the anguish over selecting D'Brick at 4 in 2006 instead of waiting to pick Marcus McNeil from Auburn in the second round. While McNeil was very good, he was out of the league due to injuries after 5 years and the D'brick selection stood the test of time.

So, in essence it becomes a question of a (perceived) sure thing vs a less than sure thing. Jets really needed a guard. Vera-Tucker was by far the best guard candidate. HIs stock rose during the draft process. Davis started out high and dropped big time. Vera-Tucker was the right move, on paper, right now. Why should they have waited for him? Ask the Giants how that worked out with regard to Devonta Smith.

By the way, by all accounts, the Jets also really wanted Elijah Moore and they figured out a way to get both.
    Jets were never going to take Darrisaw at 23.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why would we have drafted an LT? Makes no sense.

PJ4Ever, cval and K'OB like this.
  5. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

That narrative won't sit well with the we gave up two thirds to draft a guard gang

Yankjetfan and K'OB like this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Davis is a great zone scheme run blocker but his pass blocking is ass. Fields could withstand those hits from his missed blocking assignments but I don’t think you want test if Wilson can. We must do whatever we can to protect the golden labrum.

Brook! and K'OB like this.
  7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think you have it backwards, the probability that Davis is better than Vera Tucker is really fucking low.
    More than probably any position in the NFL high prospect guards and centers are usually correct, even more so than Tackles.

Attackett, themorey and K'OB like this.
  8. HC of the NYJ

HC of the NYJ Member

Medical flags and was terrible during interview process according to Tony P.

Brook! and K'OB like this.
  9. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I'm okay with trading up to get AVT. Putting him next to Beckton will help protect Wilson. Great move IMO. That's why you get draft capital, so you can use your chips to get bigger chips. JD and his team of coaches are making the right choices to get the players that will fit the culture they are trying to create. In JD I TRUST.

10. K'OB

I liked him early on but was put off by some reports by posters on here that I mentioned earlier, it would seem picking him with the #34 would have been a huge leap lol

11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Some of you really need to learn how to evaluate offensive linemen. It's not as simple as "Pick the best OL and put them where you need them".

Some guys, like Becton, can play great at LT, at lower level at RT, and a much lower level at OG, and likely not at an acceptable level at all at C. There is Louisville film of him playing LT and RT, he's much better at LT. Not because he can't run block--likely because he's not as strong with his non-dominant hand/foot so guys can get inside of his blocks more easily. He's still a monster, but the difference between LT Becton and RT Becton is clear.
    Darrisaw has that exact same profile--he is a pure LT. You might look at his size and think he could fit right in at RT or RG--- but he's far better at pass blocking than run blocking. I don't see him driving guys to the second level. This guy is a LT only, and he's nowhere close to Becton (who is also basically an LT only), so how does he help us?

I see lots of comments about how we could have had Wyatt Davis instead of AVT. Okay. Davis is unrefined but has lots of potential to develop. There is certainly a possibility that in the long run he will end up being a great player, probably at RG. He can be plugged in as a plus run blocker and serviceable pass blocker right away. We just spend the #2 overall on a rookie QB. Do you want a super high floor guy with refined technique who is a dominant pass blocker and plus run blocker or do you want a raw run blocker who can kind of pass block? If Davis ends up being better than AVT five years down the road, good for him and good for Minnesota. The Jets should be in the business of developing their QB, not their OGs.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Douglas got 3 guys in the top 25 on his board. Stop crying.

13. K'OB

and that is all that matters.

Sec124DieHard, Cman68 and Brook! like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I like Darrisaw, but for us he is a back up to Becton. According the Jets brass, if we didn't trade up, AVT almost certainly be gone and we would draft Moore. We ended up getting Moore anyway. The way I feel about this is that we got blue chip player at the position of need in exchange for one solid player at the position where we already have Becton and one high risk project. Don't forget that we still have a 4th round pick from them. Is Wyatt going to be better than someone we already have, like say McDermott or Clark, whom we also recently drafted? Is he even going to be better than the guy we will draft with their 4th rounder?

The questions will really be answered next year, as it is hard to say if Mills/Davis will be better than the back-ups we already have and even the 4th round pick we got in exchange. At the same time I feel that AVT will be at the very least a good starter right away at the position of need. And given that we were able to get Moore, who we targeted at 23 anyway, I feel pretty good right now about what JD has done.

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You would want to protect ANY QB, not just Wilson. You make it sound like if we drafted Fields, Davis would be an ok pick because Fields can take a beating

PJ4Ever and patleahy like this.
  16. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Because you can throw the ball while laying on your back. If Sam's years don't show you why we need an oline.....

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If we drafted him, it'd be a vote of confidence that he can play right tackle.

18. K'OB

Well, we didn't, so it wasn't and that is pretty much the answer as it stands, we didn't draft him, it looks like we had no desire to draft him or we would have by trading up to take him.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Long night, Kenny O?

This is a thread of what ifs. ;)

20. K'OB

Life is full of what ifs my friend lol