2021 NFL Draft - Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that's fine but IDK how you can look at our back 7 and think the D doesn't need serious help. especially after we just spent our last 3 1st rounders on offense, our last 2nd rounder on offense. traded 2 3rds to move up for one of those offensive players. plus signed 4 lineman 2 to big contracts, signed 2 WRs 1 to a big contract.
    so far between last year and round 1 of this year we've invested 3 1sts, a 2nd, and 2 3rds all on offense

James Hasty likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

his size is fine for a 4-3 MLB. he's about the size of vilma. it's his tackling that's been an issue.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why even take a chance? There are better players to be had.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

agree, Jets just need to nail these 1st 3 picks with starters+...

Can’t afford to pick a bust. Team has too many holes. I do like JOK’s college tape.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But college isn't the NFL - how many Heisman QBs succeeded in the NFL? BIG difference.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The ironic thing about this is that the Jets draft that year had a theme. It was about leadership with like half the players selected being team captains on their college teams.

What the Jets forgot that year is that leadership is a quality far separated from actual talent. They also forgot that players with major injury histories generally have those histories because they don't know how to avoid injury.

Idzik thought injuries were random events that just happened to people. Maybe this is generally true but once you've been randomly whacked a few times it's not.

7. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I don’t remember you being this insufferable years ago. Guess you just leaned into it?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I can be a lot more insufferable. :)

Everything about this draft rubs me the wrong way so far. I've seen this crap come and go now for about 20 years and it is no accident we're where we are right now.

Hotshot QB prospect with not enough experience to make a call taken in the top 5? Check.

Trade up for a sure thing that we really need at the expense of depth? Check.

Seeing real players at the position we traded out of? Check.

It's just the same MO we've always seen all over again. In the past I'd have been all rah rah about the picks and lets get behind our guys and such. However given that this is the 3rd iteration of the same old crap I decided just to go with what I really felt instead.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah it's what I always remember about that. Literally all those guys were team captains. Idzik forgot to watch the tape though, he probably just asked for their transcripts.

Br4d likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's shocking! With Mosley's contract and Maye being tagged and the new FAs, I would have bet my life that the D was being paid more. Thanks for the correction.

Still, even though I was wrong about how much each unit had been paid (I had no idea they had a page that showed this info), the point still stands that prior to this draft, the defense was way ahead of the offense. So far in this draft, the gap has been closed considerably.

11. NCJetsfan

I didn't say that it didn't need help. I said that help can wait until later rounds or next year. HUGE difference!!!

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Tell us who these "real players" are at 23 who you wanted? Tell us who you wanted in rounds 2 and 3, then tell us who you want in rounds 4, 5 & 6. We can then compare how your depth approach fared with the trade up to 14 to get a "sure thing." Oh, and who is the QB you wanted? We can compare that too.

KingRoach and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

For those of you wondering why JOK fell, I saw two reasons today. One, they discovered that he had a heart condition.

Two, in the SI article that someone posted regarding how the Jets decided on taking Wilson, it cited the Cardinal's problems with finding a way to use Simmons on D last year concerned other teams. Simmons only played about 35% of the D snaps las year.

GasedAndConfused likes this.