2021 NFL Draft - Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

they need an edge rusher badly. paye was on the board. they took a WR who wasn't even the best one avilable. they also paid out the butt for golliday, slayton is emerging and shepard is a solid WR3. and they have barkley, enrgam, and rudolph. the pick shold have been paye or at least bateman if they wanted a WR. toney is tavon austin 2.0

2. GasedAndConfused

in hindsight jenkins will be there at 34 if JD wants

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

raiders were gonna take him at 17 but settled on a reach with leatherwood instead. rumor was vikings could have taken him at 14 as well if they stayed put

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Exactly what is required, without it we will be left wandering in loserville again and again.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If he gets Jenkins with the #34 will all the haters crown him a draft genius or just a lucky punk :rolleyes:

NCJetsfan and GasedAndConfused like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

a little overated by EPSN. he's a 20ish prospect would be a steal at 34 and a good MLB for us. I originally mocked him at 23 to us but he is raw and misses a lot of tackles but has tons of talent and upside and athletism

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Completely disagree on the player. He needs some more route seasoning but his sudden ness in creating space from defensive backs reminds me a lot of Stefon Diggs.

Austin was 5'8", 170 coming out. Toney is 6' 190.

Shepherd is going to be 28 with a slew of concussions and injuries in his playing career. Slayton and Golladay on the outside, Toney in the slot. Engram is OK and has a drops problem and Rudolph is merely a red zone target/in-line blocker.

The Giants defense was not the problem last year, but I get the argument for a defensive player there. But I don't think the player himself is a bad selection.

8. GasedAndConfused

giants are pretty solid in the secondary and on the d-line but have no edge rushers. their offense is satcked. your also forgetting barkley in there as a RB and receiver out of the backfield. plus they paid a ton of money to soldier and drafted an OT top 5 last year. their biggest needs were IOL and EDGE but they took a WR they could have gotten in the 2nd likely. but again that's gettlemans MO. remember when he took kelvin benjamin 4 rounds early? toney doesn't stand out to me at all. he brings nothing guys like eskridge, atwell, or shi smith can do later in the draft. if they were dead set at WR bateman, marshall jr, and moore were options and all better prospects.

It reminds me of when all these teams passed on metcalf for way lesser WRs and he fell to seattle at 64.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Had nothing to do with not moving up. Had everything to do with not selecting NFL-caliber players with the picks he made.

REVISion likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

IMO they aren't good because they're stable so much as they're stable because they're good.

NCJetsfan and GasedAndConfused like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t dream of speaking for JD, but I’m sure he is looking at his responsibility to improve the entire team very seriously. He will not over reach to draft one side versus the other. He looks for top value across the board. He is painfully aware CB and edge are still a need on the defense for starters. I do believe it boils down to how comfortable they feel with the OL as of now. They might reach for depth later or they might bite the bullet one more time early.

12. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I want Jenkins at 34 too, but this is 100% false.

Obviously this can change once accounting for draft picks and post-draft cuts, but in terms of positional spending, the Jets were 7th in cap allocated to offense entering the draft and that's with having the lowest cap percentage at QB. Of the 14 guys with cap numbers over $4 million entering the draft, 8 are on offense.

https://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

major33 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It is NOT 100% false. If you think there's more talent on offense than defense, then I don't know what to tell you. There may be a few more players on offense making $4 million or more per year, but I'll bet if you add the salaries up for each unit, the D has more money tied up in it.

14. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Oy vey. It's almost as if you haven't been reading what I've been saying and stuck on the mantra, protect Zach Wilson protect Zach Wilson protect Zach Wilson. Which actually you just admitted that you are. Huh? How does that help build a well-rounded team?

Ok when did I say that I did not want to take an OL? We have a TON of picks! Just because I wanted to go defense at 23 if one of the top 5 is GONE, doesn't mean I don't want an OL. Remember now because I keep having to remind you even though you already know this, I was the one who originally said to TRADE UP to grab one of the top 5 OL instead of sitting around waiting for the player you like to fall. YOU & everyone else killed me for wanting to trade up & then a month later you're starting a thread to trade up. I mean seriously, you can't make this up.

As for BPA, how the hell is my draft BPA when you know I'm all about the scheme fit. What are you doing to me? You're completely misrepresenting everything I'm about when it comes to the draft and building a team. Why would I trade back at 34 then if I'm about BPA??????????????

My favorite wildcard player is Koromoah. He is sitting there now along with Jenkins. However, if JD trades back because he gets offered a king's ransom for the valuable #34 pick, then I have no problem with that. Although, Koromoah would look incredible in a Saleh scheme on D. There has never really been a player like him, and he doesn't really fit too many defensive schemes besides ours, which is one reason he probably fell. It could be the same reason why Jenkins fell. Just not a scheme fit for those looking to draft OT. You on the other hand would get incredibly angry if we stayed at 34 and went D if Jenkins is still there. I would be ok if we stayed at 34 and took either one because I'm a big Jenkins fan too. So really, it is you who is rigid since you just admitted it in your post above. If it were up to you, after Wilson, every pick would be OL.

As for the #23 & me saying you can't pass on Phillips. First of all, that is a HUGE position of need in our SCHEME & a dominant player. A type of player we most likely won't get a chance to draft next year. Once again, remember, I had no idea JD was willing to trade up that high. I thought if he traded up the highest it would be is 16 with Arizona since they needed picks and that spot was perfect. How many times have I said #16 is the pick to trade up to????? It turned out, JD did one better, he upped me and went to 14. Everyone killed me on the trade up to 16. No no no you have to trade back blah blah blah. I said no, you trade up from 23 to get the player you want, and then at 34, you trade back to recoup the picks where we could have taken 2 OL if we went D with our 2nd first rounder. But again, I had no idea we would be able to get that high to grab AVT who I thought would go somewhere around 14-16.

Oh, and you went BPA at #2 with your selection. You're so rigid in your thinking. Why not shake it up and take Lance? Oh because Zach Wilson fits our scheme and what our team is trying to do at the moment. Same thinking as me. So we agreed there.

So am I supposed to get on you for thinking that Jenkins was the better fit than AVT? Now, there's nothing wrong with your thought process because I like Jenkins too, but I have always thought AVT was a better fit on the inside & our biggest need on the OL.

To me, it seems like you're the one who is rigid because your only focus is O-Line. Oh and remember I'm the person that doesn't like to take a CB in the first round because of the high bust potential. We had no chance at Horn or Surtain, so CB in the first was never something I considered. Actually, CB is something I keep saying to take next year, right? I said next year we will have 2 first round picks where we can get a top CB & WR if that's what we need.

One last thing, please don't talk down to people. It's something you constantly do on here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on how to build the team. But to tell me I don't understand or don't know what I'm talking about is condescending, plus you completely either misinterpreted or are intentionally misrepresenting my opinions. I still love ya but come on let's have a well-rounded debate and respect everyone's opinion no matter if you believe they are ludicrous or not. Who cares? We're here to debate & I don't even mind if you disagree or say that I'm wrong. Everyone is always going to be wrong about players, including many NFL GMs. Just look at the Raiders drafting Leathernuts so high. Are you going to call them up today and ask to speak with Gruden for not knowing what he's doing? I'm kidding, but I really wish you would have realized that I was fully focused on the OL. It didn't have to be at 23 if the top 5 weren't going to be there.

Ok onto rounds 2 and 3. Should be fun...

15. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

The money spent claim is 100% false, take a look at the first link I sent. The talent on defense is ahead of the offense, but that speaks more to how embarrassingly bad the offense was a year ago.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

There was no way we were rostering all 12 guys. If there was ever a time to move up to get a perfect fit, that was the draft. Quality over quantity.

That was only one issue of many tho, the biggest being the selection of one dimensional players with bad attitudes of course.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

I think there is more talent on offense at this point.
    we just got a new QB
    we have 2 1st round pick o-lineman in back to back years and a highly paid FA center in year 2 of his deal
    we signed corey davis, drafted mims in the 2nd, crowder is a good slot WR and we signed cole as a WR4
    we have herndon who can be good if he's rookie herndon and not coming off a year of injury herndon

on defense we have a great d-line and great safety that's about it.
    our top 3 CBs are 2 6th round picks and a UDFA. 2 going into year 2 and 1 into year 3
    our other safeties are a 1 year FA cheap and a 3rd rounder last year
    our LBers are a guy who hasn't played in 2 years and never played in this system, a former 1st round bust FA signing, and a 5th round pick who has missed more then half his games in his 1st 2 years.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Those are the models I think Douglas is using in creating his own - at least I think/hope he is. Having a "blueprint" and then getting the best players that fit that blueprint is the way to go.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Too small IMO.

NCJetsfan likes this.