Jets culture is so different then it has been in the past

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The all gas, no brake thing is lame if you dissect it. How do you go around a curve without brakes in the rain?

All teams have lame mantras like that though. If you get the locker room and fan base to buy in, it works well. Similar to the buy-in Ron Rivera got from Cam Newton and the whole organization/fan base on the Keep Pounding mantra.

azhar80 and ouchy like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

When I was a kid, we had a Wimpey (a UK Mac D's kinda) and they served you a burger with a knife and fork :D:D:D

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Geez, all I said was our whole staff are rookies so I don't know what we have yet.

Catch phrases don't win games. Herm had some good ones, and Rex, and Eric, and Todd. Rookie HC coaches last about as long with us as generals do with Darth Vader. I hope its different this time. We hope that every time.

PJ4Ever and patleahy like this.
  4. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

lol I was just joshin' ya, Ouchy. I understand what you are saying.

mrjet80 and ouchy like this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Nothing will ever be more clever or effective than Do Your Job. The world just wants to be Patriots fans.

6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I’m with this 100%. Everyone slobbering Salehs knob before he’s done shit. The one thing that concerns me is that always talks about their system and putting the guys into his system. Sure, every coach has a general system, but there also needs to be an ability to mold your system around the players.

ouchy likes this.
  7. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, I really do like the Saleh hire but he hasn’t proven a thing and neither has any of his coordinators

8. abyzmul

Apparently you did not get the memo bro. This is the new golden age of Jets football.

You don't want to be that guy that is muttering and kicking stones while the foundations of greatness are being laid, do you? You don't want to be bitter old Bernie from Cocoon, holding his dead wife in the swimming pool after all the magic is gone?

Be Don Ameche, the old guy that started getting boners again. There's still time to pledge your life to the Young Savior.

K'OB, Ptflea2, NYGANGGREEN and 2 others like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Don't worry. Before opening day I'll come on and predict 10-7 and wildcard. Tha'ts when my desperate hope leads me astray.

All Gas No Shake and REVISion like this.
  10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure the following won us 5 games, 3 minimum:

patleahy and ouchy like this.
  11. abyzmul

Nothing like opening day to temporarily erase the memories of a lifetime of embarrassing failures, eh?

ouchy and legler82 like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I convinced myself by opening day last year that the continuity of keeping Gase would improve upon a strong finish against a cupcake schedule the prior year. That's just how excited we get as opening day nears.

cval likes this.
  13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’m disappointed we seem to be replacing “you play to win the game”.

Ralebird and RIPJimLeonhard like this.
  14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Kensil and Walton were the problems on those 80s teams. If O’Brien wasn’t getting sacked 76 times a year and had decent blockers those teams may have won a championship one of those years. Instead O’Brien was physically and mentally damaged and it became time for another rebuild.......Walton was a decent OC but HC was slightly beyond his capabilities. Kensil was a paper pusher.

ConcordeChops and patleahy like this.
  15. mrjet80

Giving up the two 3rd round picks to move up in the first round is par for the course. JD obviously had his heart set on Tucker and pulled the trigger. I get the Jets could use all the early picks they have but Tucker should be a solid starter for years to come...Ouchy will come around. LOL

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

lol you know your Jets history, MrJet80.....I just romanticize that period in Jets history because I loved those teams and it is when I first became an NFL fan.

mrjet80 likes this.
  17. mrjet80

I don’t know if you remember Walt Michaels but he was the one they should have stuck with ........

cval and Jets79 like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

LOL. Priceless observation

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have a damned good feeling that the JD/RS leadership combo is going to bring lots of excitement to this organization for years to come. We are not going to be an instant 10 win team obviously in this tough division, probably not for a year or two. But we will be far more competitive, fun to watch and well prepared.. I'm not going to spend one second dwelling in past history but rather look forward to watch this team slowly evolve into a long term winner. There is one big fucking difference IMO from years past. JD and RS know their craft, are both NFL savvy, come from a winning culture and above all know how to work together to build a team with a common long term vision. We haven't had anything like that since time memorial.

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You get 2 demerits for being too optimistic!!!

cval, Brook! and LAJet like this.