2021 NFL Draft - Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Brought to you by Express for Men slim fit.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree that Buffalo went defense too much with their capital from Mahomes. But they had the type of QB with Allen that could survive that. Even still, look how long he took to develop that way. Most QBs, including WIlson, are not the type of QB that can survive that. They went off plan for a year and they paid for it. I admit that Buffalo didn't bring Allen in with enough talent, but they did use the Mahomes trade to start acquiring all pros before they drafted Allen. They didn't simply rush into another top 10 QB pick before acquiring a foundation.

The dolphins have done it on plan correctly and will be a top team for much longer then the Bills will be, even if Allen remains way better then Tua. Right now we aren't even doing it the way the Bills did it, and are a long ways off the tradition a 3 year rebuild plan. We are on the 2000s Cleveland Browns rebuild plan - by assuming having draft picks means we already have a good team while rushing a savior QB into a bad situation. This was not the draft to take a QB, especially considering the rebuild value of the #2. This was the draft to stock up on capital and all pros. We wont have this chance again for years.

We are cobbling together a team which may make a WC run in a few years. The only way we overcome that is if we hit on multiple lower round picks over the next two years, while still having our higher round picks pan out. In our current plan that is the only way we become a SB contender, and not just a WC hopeful.

#82 ouchy, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

So what is everyone’s offer to the pack for Rodgers.....less than 2 hours before selecting.

4. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

at least you didn;t go the lazy route and make a crack about him buying that suit in the "boys/jr. men's" section, Legler....:(

legler82 likes this.
  5. legler82

I leave the lazy humor for Bickety.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Don't you think it's kind of premature to say we aren't doing it the way they did? Even now, our offense is a lot better than anything Darnold had during his career so I'd say that's a step in the right direction. Should we be ok with where it is now? Absolutely not and I think JD understands that.

There's multiple ways to build a championship contender. You're clearly in the camp that you HAVE to stock up on quality players and only then make a play for your FQB. Which has worked. Other ways have worked too though and the Bills are a great example of that.

We have 2 1st's this year and next year. 3 2's and 3 3's over the next 2 years. We have plenty of draft capital to make some moves to set ourselves up with a very good, young core going forward so I disagree with your assertion that we're gonna have to hit on multiple late round picks to be successful. I'm not saying that I disagree totally with your "cobbling together a team which may make a WC run in a few years comment" but again, that's a little premature to say IMO.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Zuniga, Perine, Wesco, and a bag of oven roasted nuts.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you can throw in a ryan griffin and a greg van roten too

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I personally want Wilson, and the pre-draft rumors of the Jets taking him seem overwhelming, I just have a strange feeling that they're going to take Fields. I think SF knew that and traded up to #3. If it goes down that way, I wouldn't jump off the roof because I do believe Fields will be a damn good (at least) QB in the NFL.

KY Jets Fan and Brook! like this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Buffalo traded out a QB pick and drafted all pros the year before they drafted Allen. This gave the a core to build on. How many all pros do we have on our team? We can agree to disagree on this but the fact is we are off plan, and the second pick had championship team building written all over it. I hope it works, but I'm not encouraged that we are off plan so far. That is not what I was expecting from JD.

11. GasedAndConfused

I trust JD. if he picks fields i'm ok with that. fields feels "safe" low floor due to his athletic ability. shouldn't be awful or a bust. worse case a colin keapernick. I just don't see him as a best case rodgers, mahomes, etc type player.
    But every report says it's wilson so i highly doubt it isn't. JD couldn't help but be giddy when wilson is brought up.

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

OMG the NY Zack Exchange.

13. legler82

“safe” < > low floor

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Is 21 picks over the next two years not enough? If after that, we have no core in place, we'll need a new GM.

15. GasedAndConfused

not really.

buffalo traded out of the 10 spot to 27 for extra picks and then drafted a CB. then in the 2nd round drafted a bust WR and a an OT who has been solid so that's 1 thing that helps (but we drafted becton last year so same position) they only had 3 picks left after that all late rounders and took 2 defensive players and a QB who is out of the league already. In short they only took 1 player to help a young QB in dawkins.

then in 2018 they traded away 2 2nd rounders to move up for allen. then with their other 1st they got in trading down the year before they traded up yet again to draft a LBer. then their 3rd and 4th round picks were spent on defense as well.

then in 2019 they used their 1st rounder on defense. their next 3 picks were offense but none really done much

finally in 2020 they traded their 1st for diggs and signed some free agents to get more around him and he had a pro bowl year.

For the jets we already have the LT drafted the year prior. we can take wilson and will still have 4 picks in rounds 1-3 after that to build around him. we started building the o-line last year and can add to it. we signed 2 Wrs and drafted 1 last year in the 2nd. we got a new coach and new OC who has a QB friendly system and is good at developing QBs. us picking a QB now is equivalent to when the bills took allen during their rebuild

16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Welcome to the dark side CC. From your lips to Joe D's ears. Fields baby.

ouchy likes this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I hope so. I just hope everything goes better then expected this draft. The time for making my point is about passed and the time to just accept and root for what we are doing is here. I really hope we clean up this weekend.

18. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

So Ian Rappaport just said now the Niners might be leaning towards Trey Lance. I think the fan base doesn't want Mac Jones and were ready to riot. Or I wonder if they take Trey Lance thinking that GB might prefer him if they were to trade Rodgers.

19. legler82

[​IMG]

KY Jets Fan, ouchy and Brook! like this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we take Fields this board is going to be hilariously in chaos.