2021 NFL Draft - Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2021.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Can't keep making this same mistake

2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

We can, and probably will.

King Koopa and JetFanInPA like this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If JD does this, then he’s closer to his predecessors than I originally thought. Might as well have Todd McShay running our draft.

ouchy and Get me the Damn Ball like this.
  4. Jason MacIsaac

The Jets have to have an open mind going into the 23rd pick. You can't blankly offer whatever it takes to move up and draft a guard, as much as I hate that ideal. They can't blindly pick an OT at 23 if there was a run early. Go into the pick with an open mind, this draft is very heavy on OTs that could shift inside and be very good starters right away. If the Jets have Farley as a top 10 on their board and he is available at 23, pick the damn CB. Don't take the 27th player on your board who is an OT.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I am so down for Etienne in round 1 if he's there.

I am 100% not convinced to take a RB in round 1 but if he's there at 23, with a new QB drafted and the new offense, take him

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Here's how I know Etienne at 23 would be a great move.

7. legler82

[​IMG]

8. BroadwayAaron

This this and this. At some point we will learn that developing the QB is the highest priority. A game-changing RB that can play 3 downs and play them at a high level helps a young QB just as much as an offensive lineman. And the main point for me with this year in particular is that you'll find starting caliber OL at 34. It's not like you have to choose between one or the other. Why not take the elite player at 23 at a position you need and also draft a starter at 34 at another position of need?

It's not necessarily the Niners that make me think this way, it's the offense in general. It's never been about having a bell cow. Could that change as LaFleur kind of makes the Shanahan offense his own? Hopefully. But the other thing that makes me hesitate is that we've already got a full RB room. Coleman figures to be the lead back with Tyler Johnson and Josh Adams working into the committee as well. Perine is as good as gone... downhill runner that doesn't have the speed to succeed in an outside zone scheme. Are they going to use a huge asset to add another player to that room? Who knows. Maybe the "Johnson and Adams are perfect fits" thing is just fan fiction. Lord knows it won't be the first time Jets fans have convinced themselves of something that isn't true at all.

King Koopa likes this.
  9. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

You go Oline or Corner at 23. I would pass on Etienne. He stayed in school for an extra year. That’s a lot of mileage for a 1st round running back.

10. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Pretty sweet that we already have two.

Falco21 and jilozzo like this.
  11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I like Harris better but RB’s don’t last much past 30 anyway. It’s probably better off to keep landing a stud RB every 4-5 years and maybe getting them an extra few seasons after their rookie contract depending on the situation.

I don’t think we need anything at 23, but after the 3rd round I would like atleast one RB, Olineman (maybe 2) and either a TE or WR if possible.

I wouldn’t take anyone on defense unless we trade down for more picks...Not because I don’t think we need the help, but because I think it’s way more important to set up the rookie QB with all the help he can get.

You can use free agency and next year’s draft to upgrade the defense as we are not a win now team. Why would it matter how well the defense plays next season if we aren’t doing everything we can possible to help the QB’s development?

12. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I agree. I think Oline is clearly the best option for this team at this point - there's ten-year tackle talent available at 23. If he lasts, I could see Etienne at 34 maybe, but even that's unlikely in my eyes - and I really like Travis as a player.

REVISion likes this.
  13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If the Jets have to take a RB early, I think I'd rather go OL/CB/WR/Pass Rusher with 23 and take Javonte Williams with 34, or after a trade back.

Ideally, I'm not taking a RB in round one or two without picking up an additional pick.

14. BroadwayAaron

Is the OL drop off from 23 to 34 that big though? Is there one at all unless Vera-Tucker slips? I don't think there is. To me the falloff between Harris/Etienne and Williams is steep although I know plenty would disagree.

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I wouldn't hate it. Probably wouldn't love it but I could get on board with having a stud back for Wilson for the next 4-5 years.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We can get good production from a Javonte Williams, Kenny Gainwell, or Chuba Hubbard.

17. legler82

+ the current RB depth chart. Etienne is who you draft if you are playing Madden.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I would love Javonte WIlliams and would love the type of offense that he would thrive in. However, that is not the type of offense we appear to be building. We need an agile speedster to scamper around crazy zone run plays. Were building a version of SFs offense not a version of Tennessee's, which is odd because the modern niners offense was never anything that spectacular.

19. BroadwayAaron

Javonte Williams doesn't really seem like a scheme fit here. I think he's talented enough to be a good fit in general in the NFL but I don't see him as a guy that's getting outside and taking off. Chuba Hubbard also isn't much of a pass-catcher... he'd be good in a rotation but I can't recall many Shanahan RBs that aren't a factor in the passing game. Gainwell I won't even pretend to know much about. I'm confident in saying Harris and Etienne are leaps and bounds better than all three of these guys and would help Wilson just as much as the OL they'd take at 23.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I've been saying for months that next draft is going to be the deepest draft in years. By trading down in the top 10 this season we could have set our selves up to clean up the next draft. Everything about our situation said trade the #2 pick. Not doing that is going to cost us in the long run. It was the difference between building a champion and cobbling together a run at a wildcard appearance.

patleahy likes this.