Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Chris Simms explains why he feel Fields will slide. Thinks he has a problem with throwing motion, which is hard to fix:

Start at 17m15s

2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Simms is one of those guys/analysts who seems to take himself AND his opinion waaaaaaaay too seriously. He kind of transformed himself into an "expert" by acting like an "expert" until all those around him believed he was an expert in all things QB-related....instead of being just another talking head on tv who had a mediocre, shortened NFL career. In spite of his pedigree and recruiting ranking, he could never even totally beat out Major Applewhite when they were both at Texas together, as I recall.

K'OB likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not necessarily. had drew brees not blown a shoulder out his final year in SD they would have kept him and traded rivers to us. rumor is that was gonna happen for a 1st and a 3rd. if sam blows it up they could trade the QB they draft for assets

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Simms has a pretty good run going on picking the under-appreciated QB's in the draft.

That said, it is not unusual for a talking head to get lucky over a period of time and look better than they are. Most of them (as with us) fall back to the pack over time because really nobody is smart enough to sort out all the variables in play in the NFL. If you're not Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck those variables make it very hard to predict performance over time.

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Depends who they trade with. I like fields enough I don't want to see him on the pats with bellichick coaching him. the man who made brady and who won 7 games with broke down awful cam newton and 9 opt outs last year.

6. patleahy

I agree, Br4d. My critique of Simms was mainly a critique of his personality and ego. I guess I just don't care for him. I would much prefer to listen to a guy like Kurt Warner.

K'OB likes this.
  7. patleahy

I feel like this whole "Fields is dropping like a lead weight" narrative is another overhyped, media driven predraft narrative. Has he dropped a little? sure, but there is no way he drops out of the top 10. no way.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  8. Br4d

I wouldn't mind any of these guys other than Lawrence on the Pats. Belichik hasn't done a good job of picking QB's except the guy who dropped in his lap at #199 and then got catastrophe'd on the field for him.

I guess the nightmare is they pick Lance and then he sits behind Newton for a couple of years and turns into a very good QB.

NCJetsfan and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t Fields classify as falling in his lap also?

patleahy likes this.
  10. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Nope but NE/others are putting it in the media to make him drop like a stone if they can.

It's awful but part of the games this lot play a week before.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

patleahy likes this.
  11. Br4d

I know you love Fields and I see him as high upside/low floor also. That said he probably has a 35% chance of working out, particularly if he gets on the field early on. That's not a bad thing outside the top 10 but it is nothing to pin your hopes on either.

I'd be pretty happy if he slipped down the 1st round and the Jets traded up a few slots to get back into the 1st and took him. However if they had no plan to keep him off the field next season most of the happiness with the pick would evaporate.

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I could see putting Fields in front of Wilson but to put him in front of Lawrence is click bait. It just is. Lance in front of Wilson is a joke though.. no way can he come to that conclusion by watching the tape only. There’s just no way... I really respect and follow JT but that vid is pure click bait IMO

Noam likes this.
  13. patleahy

true, apjbfc. very true.

14. patleahy

@legler82 if you had to guess, how far do you say right now, Fields drops on Thursday night? what does your gut tell you...when do you think he gets snatched up? Legit question, not being snarky.

Noam likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I've spent as much time evaluating the WRs this draft as most have spent on QBs.

Chase is very talented but you've really over estimated him. Chase is not great over the middle or on mid range routes in general. His route running is fair to borderline poor and not very smooth (meaning he loses too much speed in his cuts). He thrives on both long and short passes, usually outside the hash marks. He is almost a strictly Z receiver.

Not only does he not require double and triple teams, one good corner can usually shut his game down for the most part, as shown by Igbnoghene, Motley, Surtain Jr., and CJ Henderson. Chase largely thrived in 2019 against #2 corners while Jefferson usually faced the #1. This is part of why Jefferson was under rated and a sign that Chase is probably a little over rated.

I rank the WRs

Smith
    Waddle
    Chase

If interested I posted a full comparison between Smith and Chase here:
    https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/wr-chase-vs-smith-comparison.95207/

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  16. Br4d

The Jets haven't had a great homegrown WR since Keyshawn and he was a possession receiver.

NCJetsfan, patleahy and ouchy like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The only thing needed to be successful is for people to listen to him and stay tuned. He doesn’t have to be right, or wrong. He needs an audience to succeed. 500 people that think he is an idiot but continue to listen to him or respond to his tweets is better for his rating than 1000 that actually believe he is a guru but don’t follow him on tweeter or live. He fires for effect in his analysis.

ColoradoContrails and patleahy like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The only reason why Chase might not have shown that he's not as good over the middle or mid range routes is because there's not a lot of tape on him doing it. He was so explosive and did so much for the LSU offense by dominating deep that he never really ran a full route tree.

But to your point - that creates a risk because he doesn't have a lot of varying experience. I'd still bet on him and draft him because he's a fucking bulldog when the balls in the air. I've warmed up to Smith despite the 170 pound frame. He's super smooth and will likely get bigger.

19. legler82

If Fields ends up in NE, who will be the best QB in the AFC East in 2-3 years?

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. legler82

I am really confident in identifying potential successful QBs at the top of the draft but have no confidence in trying to predict what the NFL would do. If it was up to me, Fields wouldn’t drop at all. I have no idea where he ends up. I defer to Simms in that department.

ouchy and patleahy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.