PFF: Why It Might Be A Huge Mistake For Jets To Draft Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by IIMeanDeanII, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's not the point. I agree that he will use more of the field in the NFL. He'll have to in order to get on the field. However like other Jets QB's of recent vintage he's going to find that the picks are very predictable when he's doing that.

There's no evidence on his college tape that he will be any more successful than Sanchez or Darnold at managing that transition. Both of those guys played in a modified WCO in college. Wilson has never played in a WCO in his life.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Brook!, Lon Chaney, Rockinz and 3 others like this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Did the article compare him to Sanchez?

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I get you feel this way about the injury. It's just not good enough for me. If he wasn't healthy enough, he shouldn't have been on the field. Watching that 2019 tape. To me, it wasn't an Injury issue, it was a mental issue. It's just too much of a risk for me to take this kid with that kind of tape out there, to play so we'll against such bad competition doesn't do it for me. We've been through too much at that position and It's irresponsible to me to even consider this kid for the NYJ.

The epilepsy concerns for Fields also give me pause, however, his tape looked much better and much more consistent over his career. Against much better competition. His potential Is through the roof. So, It's not biased, It's that I truly think he's hands down the better option.

I really really like Trey Lance too.

My QB rankings are:

Trevor Lawrence
    Justin Fields
    Trey Lance
    Zach Wilson
    Mac Jones

In that order.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Someone else commented on Sanchez.

Is this all you got from my opinion based post? I’m not doing this with you, when you build a SB winning team as a GM then I will give you credit for anything you say about a player in particular a QB.

You have literally turned into Junc with regard to your replies on anything related to Wilson.

REVISion and bicketybam like this.
  6. Jason MacIsaac

You speak of tape...how much tape have you seen in Lance to rate him ahead of Wilson?

In this video Warner explains why he has Lance ranked 5th, what does he know.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this is a pretty good video highlighting the positives and negatives

8. GasedAndConfused

that is the exact mind frame I had years ago when I leaned rosen over allen as the "safe pick" despite my eyes telling me allen was way too talented to pass up on. I just couldn't imagine 3 years later having to do it again. we we took darnold and he we are 3 years later anyway. I've learned from that mistake and feel the boom or bust guy is fine when the talent jumps out at me. fields talent doens't jump. he feels safe, somewhat efficient. big resume did what was asked but I don't see the high ceiling on him. I see the low floor as a mobile RPO QB. but i don't see the guy winning championships. wilson could bust, he has his flags too. but I see a guy with way more talent then fields and a better scheme fit.

At the end of the day, it comes down to whether you trust JD or not. regardless who JD picks i'll trust him. he's the best GM we've had in a long time. let the man build his team and give him the benefit of the doubt to see if it works

Brook! likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, good job Dean finding this in-depth analysis! It certainly accomplishes what it set out to do: "prove" that drafting Wilson would be a big mistake. And they make a compelling case, but as I've said so often, simply using stats to prove something is faulty logic because they can be used in all sorts of ways, both pro and con, and even prove the opposite. In fact, the posts countering the PFF take here by Rockinz, Jason Macisaac, Red Menace, in particular, given rational opposing takes on these stats. And as several of them said, the offense that Zach will be running for the Jets will not be the same as what these stats are based on. Even if these stats "proved" that Wilson struggles with some throws, surely Douglas & Co. would make sure to minimize these in whatever offense they create, at least until Zach proved he could make them.

I'm glad you posted this Dean because I do want to have the most complete picture I can have, but I still think Wilson is the best pick for the Jets.

Brook! likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Since when is playing when injured a negative? That's ridiculous! Even at 75% he was a better QB than the other BYU QBs. So BYU's HC was supposed to go with a lesser QB?

I'm not asking you to change your mind or take any risk. I was just pointing out the many flaws in this article, and it is clearly biased. I disagree with your comment that it's irresponsible to even consider Wilson. That's absurd! It is height of irresponbility to NOT consider him.

I disagree also that Fields' tape looks much better. I guess if you like seeing a QB stand there holding the ball too long with no sense of pressure, taking needles sacks, running the ball too much, and when he does throw it, has a slow windup and release, then you loved Fields. I truly am at the point where I don't like Field very much at all.

My QB rankings are Zach Wilson, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Mac Jones, and if the Jets had a decent veteran QB, and I didn't want Wilson, I'd go with Lance over Fields.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

we don't often agree lol but yeah I agree here. you can say fields is bigger, stronger, faster, more accomplished, longer resume, safer etc. but nobody can look at the film and think he's actually a more talented QB. his intangibles flat out suck compared to other QBs. he's a great college QB but I don't see it transitioning into the NFL all that great

12. IIMeanDeanII

I've watched all of his 2020 tape.. Does that count? lol

Kidding.

Just because Kurt Warner says something, must be true then, right?

I've seen almost all of his games, I will have all his games watched by tomorrow. I feel comfortable rating him ahead of Zach Wilson.

You want to go back and forth and break down the why's?

I'm not relying on what Kurt Warner says, just so we are both on the same page. I also assume you have done film study on both as well then? Otherwise, not sure why you are attacking me.

themorey and Rockinz like this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Lance is the hardest evaluation I’ve had in a long time because there is so little to actually evaluate... he’s the type of prospect I could see falling in love with seeing him throw live but that wasn’t possible.. his 19 tape was pretty good he reminds me a lot of Fields to be honest. It just sucks he only played in 1 super weird game this year where I felt he tried too much and took a while to settle in.

Brook! likes this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

This Is easy.

IF the injury was keeping him from being productive. If you are going to constantly use his injury as an excuse for why he sucked. For why the team sucked. Then he should not have been In the line up. Period. I will not excuse his shit showing In 2019 against much better competition. Absolutely not.

Fields played hurt. He wasn't the reason for OSU losing against Alabama. He definitely wasn't hurting that team against Clemson.

It's not biased, NC. I have given my reasons several times. I can break It down even further than that If needed.

I do not like Zach Wilson for a lot of reason. That isn't biased. Justin Fields isn't even my number one rated QB In this draft. Stop with the biased talk, It gets really, really old.

I don't like watching a QB like Zach Wilson sit In a comfortable pocket all day and Isn't tested at all against pressure during a cupcake scheduled 2020 season. At least I know that Justin Fields can take a hit, he can still be productive, takes care of the football, and still Is a top tier passer against top competition to boot. He wasn't even close to running the ball too much, the stats definitely doesn't back that up. I don't think he has a slow release, I'm still waiting to see that stat. When I watch him, he has a unique throwing motion, I don't think It hinders him at all though. At all.

You can dislike him all you want. It's not personal.

Zach Wilson Is fool's gold to me. Without a doubt In my mind, he is the wrong QB at #2.

Time will tell. I'm very comfortable In my conclusion of this kid. I don't dislike him as a person, I don't know him.

I promise you. It's not biased and I've done the work to have the opinion I do. I'm good though. Anybody can think what they may.

Brook!, themorey, legler82 and 2 others like this.
  15. Rockinz

Dean I love that approach. Watch for yourself and make your own decision on how you feel right or wrong

16. Rockinz

Hey Dean off topic but do you know why Chris Olave didn’t declare? Kinda a big risk not entering the draft this year when I felt he was a first maybe 2nd round prospect. Now he has to improve that stock without Fields and a rookie QB?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

you can have your opinion biased or not. everyone is entitled to that. but can you really say you aren't biased when you are clearly a college football fan and on top of that an OSU fan?
    all the talk about competition and such is pointless. even the best colleges can't compare to the worst NFL defenses.

18. IIMeanDeanII

OIave has a chance to make a lot more money by staying In school. He can be a top 10 pick next year. I'm sure he wants to win a championship with OSU as well.

OSU has one of the best, if not the best, WR groups In all of college football. On top of that OSU has done serious recruiting at the QB position and will have 3- 5star QB's vying for the starting role following Justin Fields departure. It's a good time to be an offensive player for OSU.

I think the only real risk for Olave staying In school Is the obvious injury factor. God forbid It, but, I think that's the only thing that stops him from being a top 10 pick next year.

Rockinz likes this.
  19. IIMeanDeanII

I don't know how many different ways I can say It before It's no longer a dumbass excuse to try to discredit my opinion and stance.

Your other point.

Competition Is still extremely valid. At any level. At anything. It's not pointless.

If your playing against a scrub, you will likely beat that scrub. You will probably feel good about it, think you are really good at whatever It is you are playing that scrub at. You think you are top tier, you just can't believe how badass you are. Until someone that Is actually good plays against you, those bad habits show and those skills all of a sudden are lacking. They don't look so good anymore.. Then you start blaming all these other factors for why you sucked against someone better, without actually considering that you just got beat because you weren't as good as you thought. Then the patterns, bad habits, and mental disfunction start.. Down hill from there.

Point Is. That shit will expose you. As far as I'm concerned. Better competition has definitely exposed Zach Wilson In college.

Everyone wants to make excuses for It apparently, but, It's there.

So, you can think what you will, again though, I'm comfortable where I'm sitting.

themorey and legler82 like this.
  20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Just a little more than 48 Hours to go! Exciting times!

REVISion likes this.