Repeat of Brick and Mangold (Jenkins and Humphrey)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AJT73, Apr 16, 2021.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

It's just less than two weeks until round one. Rumors will run wild over the next few weeks. I heard today the Jets are very interested in Jenkins and Humphrey. Not sure Jenkins makes it to 23 at this point but if he does I think the Jets would rush the card up. Same goes for 34 and Humphrey. Hearing the Jets have a ton of interest.

I know there are other positions and players where the Jets could go but if they did this would definitely remind me of when the Jets drafted Brick and Mangold. Set the line up for 10 years and lead to long term success. With Wilson, Jenkins, Humphrey and Becton could lead to a foundation that sets us up for many years. Knowing the past I would love this and look forward to seeing how the offensive line gels. Time will tell but if history repeats itself here I think it'd be good for the Jets.

Noam, mrjet80, Kryoptix and 8 others like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

3. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if JD went this route and I’m all for it!

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Granted only 3 or 4 responses to the post and the friends who are Jet fans who I speak to like the idea as well. We were spoiled with Brick and Mangold and that line of Moore, Woody, Fanaca, and anyone else I forgot. Amazes me that in the last ten years we didn't address the line again. Shows you how inept our gms have been and how right Parcells was in saying that the game is won in the trenches. Agree JD will address it. Be interested to see if he goes oline back to back if the right ones are there this early.

Kryoptix, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could easily see JD doing this, and I'm really hoping that Jenkins is there at #23, and that this is what happens. IMO it would be the smartest use of those two picks, as it would set the tone for our team and our identity, would give Wilson the best opportunity to succeed, and give our offense the best chance to be successful, as it would help both the passing and rushing attacks. Humphrey could play OG for a couple of years until McGovern's contract is up and Jenkins could play RG for a couple of years until Fant's contract is up, then both could move to their natural positions. Fant and McGovern could be allowed to walk in FA, and hopefully, the following year, we'd get comp picks for each.

Then draft Brevin Jordan in the 3rd, a RB in the 4th-5th area range, a WR like D'Wayne Eskridge or Shi Smith who would add excellent speed to our WR corps and double as our PR, and our offense could be set to make some noise sooner rather than later.

#6 NCJetsfan, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    LAJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Unless you didn't like the specific prospect, it's hard to complain about going OL-OL. That'd be exciting to me If those were the picks though, wonder who would play OG in this scenario.
    IMO this draft should be heavy on offense - set Wilson up for success.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Sign me up as a huge fan of this. I’m not sure it happens, both Jenkins at 23 and Creed at 34, but if they’re there, it’s a no-brainer IMO.

I know a lot of us want to take a CB and I wouldn’t hate that pick but like some have said in this thread, this draft needs to be offense-heavy. Whoever we draft at 2 is already coming into a better situation than Sam had but it’s still not great. We can’t fall into the same trap we did with Sam where we draft a QB and expect him to carry the offense in his first few years. Hopefully down the line they will but we can’t expect that to happen in year one.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I love this idea. I don't know as much about the OL prospects as some here but Humphrey lit up his pro day apparently. I'll be pretty surprised if we don't use at least one of 23+34 on OL and I wouldn't be opposed to using both of them on it.

I think at the very least we should go offense with both picks. Either OL+OL, OL+WR or OL+RB (34 being the RB).

Noam and Kryoptix like this.
  10. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'd be more than happy with these two picks - I'm sure I saw this in a 2 round mock last week, but I can't find it now.

With a rookie Q/B we need to give him as much time as possible when he first starts, as everything will be happening so much faster than he is used to.

#10 Leicester Jet, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Even if those two specific guys aren't there at 23 and 34, if JD uses them on the best OL available I'll be happy. These would make a much bigger impact than ANY "D" player. Not saying the defense - especially CB - doesn't need help, but it's far ahead of the offense at this point after almost 15 years of lining up first at the trough. Way past time to give the "O" some love, but more importantly support our new QB.

REVISion and Kryoptix like this.
  12. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I would love that too!
    Perfect draft for me!!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You got my vote. Sign me up. It would the best foundation for our team moving forward. But if Jenkins is not there I think JD goes CB.

mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I would like this as well even though my prediction is a CB at 23. But adding Jenkins and Humphrey would turn this OL around very quickly .... and maybe JD (unlike some other GMs) wants to actually protect his investment.

15. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I think Jenkins stock has gone down the last few weeks due to back injury which may or could be chronic scaring teams.

I have no issue with taking Back to back OLs but I think Saleh is going to want a defense here especially they didn’t addressed CBs in the FAs. Or better yet trade 23 and exchange for a late 1st rd pick and get a 2nd rounder giving them more flexibility to get OLs and CBs within the first 3 rounds.

16. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

I love it. We do not need a CB. The Jets DL will be so overpowering the opposing QB will have only 2.5 seconds to throw. So I HOPE.

17. Kryoptix

I have read everywhere that Jenkins stock was trending up?

Any source on that injury, I am curious?

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The crazy thing is this is one of the deepest OL drafts of all time. There are a lot of quality players. I think we need to be smart here and take playmakers at pick 2/23/34 and then use both our 3rd rounders on the OL.

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

20. Kryoptix

Ok that's a very old report related to the draft. Things have changed since his pro day (probable he was cleared by doctors) as far as the latest news from this week many teams between 15 to 20 were/are highly interested. I doubt he makes it to 23. His value accross all boards has been trending up significantly.

I would be shocked if he gets past the 1st round.

NCJetsfan likes this.