Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think Meyer is going to last very long, and I don't think that will hinge on his success. He wears his welcome out and quickly looks for the next best thing. I also don't believe NFL players will like his style.

Lawrence is used to to the God stuff. You have to buy into it at Clemson it you're going to play for Dabo. Maybe Urban and his pastor will hold a special service to infuse more motivation into T-Law.

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It was an innocuous comment about him having two bad Pro days take it at face value and in the context it was delivered.

I feel recently whatever I say you want to turn into a huge back and forth and frankly the comment was meant as a slightly amusing quip and not worth the hassle of an afternoon getting neither of us anywhere.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

People are sure are making out Fields to be a big victim here. There was one BS report from anonymous sources about character/work ethics, which Orlovsky retracted right away after reaching out to his coaches. Similar BS report from anonymous sources came out on Wilson, except no one retracted it, and Coaches and players had to speak up themselves. A lot of this BS is misinformation, and easy to see, and I don't see Fields victimized any more than Wilson for example. TL is a golden boy, so perhaps he does get preferential treatment, but while he is being praised by some for this, some don't like it also. I haven't read the full article, but would like to hear his take if someone asks if his comments mean he is not competitive enough.

REVISion likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

The difference is that the murmurs about Wilson's character was never discussed in the main stream in the slightest. Whether that's by design or because it was so early in the draft process and came from a website is anyone's guess.

I have various sports shows on in the background at work all day (ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS - by the way they all suck) and Fields' reports have been brought up regardless if Orlovsky retracted.

I don't see it as him being a victim though and I don't think he does either. It's just interesting seeing things like Mac Jones DUI being buried by the media and Lawrence's comments about not wanting to be the best or win a Super Bowl being praised. Meanwhile, black quarterbacks are stigmatized as being slow processors and all thrown in the same basket. Example below.

There was another criticism of him that wasn't a joke for "dressing like a thug" because of his outfit at a gas station but I can't find the tweet.

#685 Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That is a particularly awful attempt at an April fools joke tbh I don't often find much hilarity in attempted murder arrest reports myself.

Brook! and Poeman like this.
  7. Strongly disagree.Every aspect of the evaluation process has significant meaning

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

The problem is perception.

The perception after the championship game is/was that Justin Fields is/was a slam dunk 2nd overall pick that could even maybe challenge TL. That we have seen him dominate for 2 years. He was the name on every mock draft for 2 years straight.

Then reports started to came out that many teams have Zach Wilson ahead of Justin Fields and that started trigerring the mases. How can a White QB from Utah playing a cupcake schedule who was a nobody the year prior be better than the glorious Fields who played on national tv and championship game. This is simply because he is black. It has no rational.

Then came other reports that Mac Jones might be prefered over Justin Fields the same Mac Jones that have a DUI and had the same concerns as Fields which is playing for an overpowered team then it was clear for many people that the sole reason Fields is not 2nd or 3rd it's because he is black and solely because of prejudice about black QB.

I am not buying the skin color argumentation about Fields.

For once, there are plenty of evidence that black QBs have been selected very high in the draft in the past.

Furthermore, we are in 2021 and we have seen many great black QB become superstar and win Super Bowl and I don't believe any team would have prejudice toward selecting a black QB when their job is on the line and drafting a franchise QB is way more important than the skin color of their player.

Finally I don't see anybody questionning why Trey Lance could be drafted ahead of Fields? Why no question about him? Of yes, because it does not fit the narative of skin colors. Obviously if Trey Lance is (assuming) selected 2nd overall nobody could turn that into a racism issue.

IMO it's just pure coincidence that Fields might 'drop'. I mean becoming a potential top 5 selection is not I would personally call a big drop in the grand scheme but apparently it looks like it because 4 QBs might be selected ahead of him it is only because of racism.

As mentionned many time it does matter much if you are drafted 6th overall instead of 2nd overall. What matter is after the draft and the results on the field. As pointed out, there was no major reasons why Rodgers dropped in his draft but he did and he proved that many teams were wrong in doing so. That should be the goal of Justin proving the teams wrong.

#688 Kryoptix, Apr 15, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's not true at all. Wilson was killed as "entitled" for being a rich kid.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Really, “killed”?

[​IMG]

11. Jonathan_Vilma

By who exactly? People on this message board, sure, but that report never really came to the media. There were puff pieces immediately written with no mention of it to counter said reports without mentioning it.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. legler82

TGG is more powerful than the media. :D

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Two thoughts about that TL report:

1. What if Wilson had said this? He's already been labeled as a "spoiled rich kid". Draft "deaht sentence".

2. Maybe this is Lawrence's way of getting Jacksonville (and the Jets?) to pass on him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Kryoptix

Walter football have put a comment during the season concerning Zach Wilson

"Weaknesses:
    • Aspects of poor football character"

"Someone will grab him in the first. I doubt he gets to the second, because once the third quarterback goes after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concern, rich kid who is an entitled brat -uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all."

Unnamed source. Obviously.

Samething about the captancy concerns. People are also digging dirt on Zach Wilson too.

15. legler82

1. Did that entitlement narrative hit the mainstream sport media networks like ESPN & NFLN?

2. Nah he is just being honest which is refreshing.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. Kryoptix

Would that really matter to you? I have seen countless of videos on ESPN questionning Zach Wilson too. People truly believe it's a love affair between Zach and the media...which is further from the truth.

I would even add. That when they (Mel, Todd McShay) mention Zach Wilson ahead of Justin Fields. They never take it as their own opinion. They say I havd been told that Zach Wilson will be drafted 2nd overall. Samething with Mac Jones to be honest on the report of him being ahead of Justin too. They always say "I have been told".

If you look at the face and comment of all ESPN panalyst it's more shock and disbelief than love affairs regarding Mac Jones and Zach Wilson. They truly love Justin Fields on ESPN.

#696 Kryoptix, Apr 15, 2021
  17. legler82

They question his “desire to be great” or work ethic?

18. Kryoptix

They!? That was Dan Orlovsky and he did many interviews after that fiasco debunking his same comments.

He even did a video yesterday breaking down Justin Fields amazing process on plays. He has apologised and he is making it up to it now regarding Fields and it seems pretty obvious too.

19. legler82

Athletic 6-3 230 QBs that run 4.4 40s complete close to 70% of their passes in the collegiate career while throwing for 67 TDs to just 9 INTs against major 5 opponents are normally not 5th in their class. There just might be a bit of overthinking going on. Time will tell.

#699 legler82, Apr 15, 2021
    NYJFOREVER and Brook! like this.
  20. legler82

So the answer is no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.