Discussion for the 23rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 5, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Hopefully, this is just another example of dumb Jets fans or stupid media hacks thinking that's what the Jets should do, and not something that JD is even remotely considering.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I would honestly quit believing in JD if we draft a LB at 23rd.

That is possibly our lowest need and LBs are not difference maker and we looked decent at LB last year with a bunch of UDFA and practise squad option. That would be terrible asset management.

Brook!, Red Menace, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is we’re I think he needs to put a high priority on protecting his most important asset, err in the side of caution, and target OL and key offensive weapons early.

4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Jets have tried this strategy for two decades and have failed miserably.

I'm in the "draft a RB with #34" camp. One of Etienne, Harris or Williams should be available. Opposing defenses world have someone they actually need to game plan against.

Brook!, Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I must admit Javonte Williams is very intriguing to me at 34 but I think his teammates might be just as good although not as impressive physically and could be available in the 3rd. It all depends on what is available at 34 to be honest.

6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

If the Jets trade 23rd pick, I wouldn’t be opposed to it, if they can exchange for a late 1st rd pick and obtain a 2nd rd pick in this year s draft. Is that doable?

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's certainly doable, and I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas does that.

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The ideal situation would be for maybe 2 or 3 players JD really likes still being there at #23 ( regardless of position ). JD then trades down maybe 3 spots with a team who likes a different player and gets another second round pick out of it. The chances would be good that at least one of the players he likes is still on the board when #26 or #27 comes up for him. That would really be ideal...

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I can’t get a sense on what they will do but I’ve gathered a few things. RB will be addressed. Seems like they love Khalil Herbert, the VT RB and I was VERY impressed with him this year. Call him a poor mans Saquon. Would be ideal to get him in round 3, especially with the Seattle Pick.

2-Zac Wilson

23-Best IOL available. Personally, I like Fant and RT is not a huge need. I’d go after Humphrey, Wyatt David, Vera, Slater etc here. Name that’s been thrown around in round 2 is Landon Dickerson. Think we get Alina Vera Tucker here.

34-Rondale Moore has had multiple interviews with the Jets. I could see them going after him here. Don’t love the pick but read this.

3-2. Would love to get the OSU center here. Josh Meyers.
    3-Sea. Khalil Hebert. Would be a great pick.

hope the draft shakes out in this manner. All o

Wilson
    Herbert
    Davis/Mims/Moore
    Becton/McGovern/Meyers/Tucker/Fant

mrjet80 likes this.
  10. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I am certainly leaning towards trading the 23rd pick only if they exchange a late first rd pick and and get a 2nd round pick. I would hate it if he gets a 3rd and a 5th round for example. Otherwise get your best position player at 23.

mrjet80 likes this.
  11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

It's more likely they obtain a third rounder if they move a few spots back in the first. For example, trading the #23 to the Browns for #26 and #91. Or #23 to NO for #28 and #98.

Or, if you're looking to pick up an additional second, you'd probably have to move down a little further. The #23 to Miami for #36 and #50. The Jets may have to throw in a late rounder to make that happen.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Or not trade down, get the talented player that’s available at 23.

Can we also please stop saying RT is not a huge need, Buccaneers drafted a RT, Tristan Wirfs with their 13th pick and he helped team win a Super Bowl. They didn’t wait till the 4th round to select a garbage offensive lineman that may or may not be average at best!

Stop minimizing the offensive line.

#132 Red Menace, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Lon Chaney and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

23 and 34 are tough to predict. At 23 a cb or ol could fall that would be worth the pick or the ones the Jets like could be picked and might be worth it to trade down to get more. The more I look at it I see 23 possibly being traded to get more picks. I don't think we'll know until we're on the clock. 34 I think we keep as someone who they like will be there unless a team really wants a player and offers quite a bit. If someone like Trask is there I could see a team trading up for him. Time will tell. Little more than two weeks away. Definitely be fun. So many ways to go and either way we'll get at least 5 new players in the first three rounds that could help us now and in the future.

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think there will be a trade down at 23 or 34. Its not really based on anything, as I have no clue of JDs board or who is available. Its just a hunch. Part of me thinks that he wants to load up on picks for next year just in case he wants to make a move for a WR (think Diggs for Buffalo).

AJT73 likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's not about the quality of the player currently. it's about the resources we've dumped into those positions. whether they work out or not is different. we could draft another 1st round o-line and they could bust. no college player has done anything in the NFL either. it's about the resources spent already all on a couple positions and ignoring the rest. which has always been our issue. we complained how mac ignored the o-line. now we want to ignore other positions? it's ass backwards

16. NCJetsfan

The only thing that is important IS the quality of the players. It doesn't matter how many resources one has dumped into a position. One has to keep trying until one gets it right, just like at QB. How many 1st and 2nd round QBs have we taken in the last 20 years? When a GM signs stop gap FAs and structures their contracts so that he can dump them after a season with little or no cap consequences, that means those players really don't matter. Their simply placeholders until he can draft someone better.

No, your thinking is what is ass backwards. You prove that time and time again.

17. GasedAndConfused

well since we don't know the quality of any draft pick or the quality of clark it's a non argument then since we don't have the data if that's how you want to spin it.

18. NCJetsfan

I'm not spinning anything, but you just proved my point. We don't know how JD rates his present players on the team and those in the draft class. GMs say a lot of things positive about their players, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything, and doesn't mean that the GM is a hypocrite if he takes a different action later. He spoke highly of Morgan and Mike White the other day. Do you really think that he's going into the season with a Wilson/Fields, Morgan and White at QB? He spoke highly of Sam, yet he traded him. Was he a hypocrite for doing that?

NONE of us knows what JD is thinking or what he's going to do in the draft. That's my point, so you should stop pretending like you do.

19. GasedAndConfused

my only point was we shouldn't ignore whole groups of a position while dumping every resource into only 1 position. LBer position right now is by far the weakest and it's an important group to the defense saleh wants to install and we are transitioning from 3-4 to 4-3 and already addressed the d-line with rankings and lawson and has quite a few good players there for depth but the Lber group is beyond pitiful and nothing has been done for it really.

as far as JD goes, his previous actions tell a tale. like anyone. he likes high character good locker room players. fant fits it to a T. he was solid last year and hardly the weak link. he's better at RT then lewis or GVR are at OG. replacing him now makes no sense and doens't follow JDs MO. every GM has a MO

20. NCJetsfan

We haven't "dumped every resource into one position" and JD hasn't ignored any position group, so that is completely irrelevant. The LB group is not the weakest. It's not nearly as important as you think it is.

KY Jets Fan likes this.