Discussion for the 23rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 5, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

whats wrong with ty, adams, and coleman?
    coleman ran this offense in SF already. ty is perfect for it, adams averaged 5.4YPC last season and we re-signed him.

plus a guy like this in the 6th is perfect for

it's not about having my heels dug in, it's about the fact that bell cow backs aren't much of a thing anymore save for a few exceptions and we have way more pressing need then RB. all this system requires is a 1 cut back with vision and speed and having a few to rotate out and be fresh.

joelip and Rockinz like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I don’t evaluate prospects on a 3 minute highlight real but he has breakaway speed. The only troubling thing I saw is that he only had roughly 800 yards rushing and half were on the home runs in a 3 minutes highlight real...

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They played 8 games this year. He averages 111 per game for his career. He's not someone to invest a high pick on I don't think but late 4th/5th/6th makes sense given the fact that he's fast as fuck and ran the one cut system to a T.

Their passing game is also very ugly. Malik Cunningham is a great athlete but good lord the amount of short screens and such he throws really bumps his already lackluster numbers.

joelip and GasedAndConfused like this.
  4. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I understand wanting to give Ty a chance after showing some serious flashes last year and I think Coleman still has something left in the tank. And I certainly understand (and frankly agree) with addressing more pressing holes on the roster.

However, please do not equate the 49ers' lack of a high draft pick at RB in recent years with not valuing the position.

Per OverTheCap's positional spending charts, the 49ers spent $12.65 million at the RB position last year, the third highest total in the NFL. In 2019, they spent $14.58 million, highest in the NFL. In 2018, they spent $8.31 million at the position, 7th highest in the NFL.

Lon Chaney and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

because they spent it on a group of T2 guys going 3 and 4 deep and not 1 bell cow. that was the point. not about not spending on a RB the point is to have a group of fast fresh guys who fit the system over 1 bell cow 3 down back.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Taking a DE at #23 would be the worst possible thing we could do. Our DL is very deep and has a lot of talent. We do not need to take another DE this year. We have glaring needs on the OL, at CB, RB, TE, LB, and probably could use a true SS.

Leicester Jet and joelip like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

He isn't that overlooked. I read something today that said he could very well be the 2nd OT taken in the draft. At any rate, I agree. If he's there at #23, he needs to be the pick. He can play RG for a year or two and then take over at RT when Fant's contract expires.

8. NCJetsfan

It's not often that we disagree, but this is one of those times. We have plenty of picks next year (11 or 12). At #23 we can get a starting OG or a #1 CB prospect. I can see trading down a few spots, but not totally out of the round. This is too good a draft with too many good players. I don't know about next year's draft. It could be a slimmer draft, and then those picks would be wasted. I wish we could trade some of next year's picks for this year. I'd rather have the #23 pick, than another 2nd or 3rd this year and another #1 next year.

Leicester Jet and Brook! like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Jordan will most likely go in the 3rd round. He and Pitts are the fastest TEs in the draft. This offense wants a fast TE that can get down the seams. Tremble is a very good, maybe great prospect and Long is a good prospect, but not very fast.

We definitely need to look to take a TE.

joelip likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Guy, you're making yourself look ridiculous with this claim that you keep repeating. GVR, Lewis, Feeny, Kroft, and Ty Johnson were meh FA signings. Clark hasn't done anything in the NFL yet. Wesco was a meh draft picks, and he's basically only a blocker. Fant is pretty solid in pass pro, but isn't very good in run blocking and RT could be upgraded pretty easily.

11. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Yes I've read that too. It seems like he is never falling out of top 20. I am crazy to think we should consider trading down and collect more draft capitals?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

How can you put G at the bottom with TE, and have Edge #4 when JD signed to Edge rushers in FA, and added two last year via the draft. That is absolutely NOT a need. If Herndon bounces back, he's the only real receiving threat we have at TE, and TEs are a big part of this offensive scheme. RB is a need, but not the 2nd need. SMH

13. Kryoptix

Not to mention that there are many very good RB this year. I have no doubt we can get a very good starting RB in the 4th or even 5th round.

joelip and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

No, but if he goes that route, I'd hope that JD would make the trade down conditional on Jenkins not being there at #23. If he's there, the trade down is off, and we take Jenkins; otherwise, we trade down a few spots and add another 3rd round pick.

Even if Jenkins isn't there, if AVT is there or Jaycee Horn, then I wouldn't want JD to trade down there, either, but instead take one of them.

15. Kryoptix

Yes I've been doing plenty of mock draft scenarios lately based on the big board of all various sources. I have identified many players worth it at 23 and other scenarios worth to trade down. I have Jenkins, Farley, Horn, Darrisaw, Philipps, AVT, Surtain, Slater, Smith, Sewell, Chase, Pitts, that's it, if not trade down.

I don't even want any LB with the 23rd, even Parsons or JOK or Collins or Davis.

In the end, we need to fulfill with the best pure talents. There are 4 positions that I find there are so much depth through the draft that even after the 3rd round and even later we might still find decent starters: RB, WR, CB, S

I think OT has not as much depth (at least for top end talent) I expect few to remain after the 2nd round as many teams will select them there. We need to use our 23rd or 34th pick for one that's for sure.

The position with the less depth are TE, OG, Guard is so bad that other than the OT/OG/C tweener I don't have any top 2 round talent.

Overall I would love to grab another top 90 pick by trading down and adding one more starter.

I also think DE is not a priority and unless a big time talent drop it might not be worth it before the 3rd round. Phillips being the exception I think he is a future pro bowler.

#115 Kryoptix, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't take a DE at all in this draft, unless no one else I liked at other positions was there. I don't think there are any big-time talents at DE in this draft, but there will be next year. I think we need to see what we have in Huff and Zuniga and Lawson before we draft another DE. Then if we need one, we have two 1st round picks next year and two 2nd round picks, we could trade up if necessary and get one of the top DEs.

#116 NCJetsfan, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and joelip like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

May be not a popular choice, but I read a lot of mock drafts where the Jets go LB with the 23 pick and OG with the second rounder.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Interior offensive line, cornerback, and QB are the three biggest holes on this team.

blackssmagic and KY Jets Fan like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Ideally, I want them to take an OL or WR/TE with #23, then again at #34. We absolutely HAVE to upgrade the offense for this new QB! There is no more critical need than that. Sure, do we need a CB or a LB? Yes, but in comparison to what the offense needs I'd call these "wants". Later in the 3rd or 4th, I'd look for a RB, but at this point in time, this falls into the "want" category.

Let's not make the same mistake they've made over and over again. Give the new QB receivers who can be depended upon to get some separation, win contested balls, and catch them, and give him an OL that can provide decent protection and support a strong running game to take the pressure off him. If they do that, the new QB stands a chance of being successful. If they don't, if JD gets starry eyed about some "can't miss" "D" player and uses a prime pick for him, he risks doing what all the other failed Jets GMs have done before.

REVISion, Kryoptix and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

If JD does this it will be a colossal mistake imo. He's making the same mistake that Mac made, but that's what happens when your hire a damn former defensive coordinator as HC.

#120 NCJetsfan, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.