Grade Darnold Trade for Jets (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 5, 2021.

?

How would you grade the Jets Darnold Trade

1. A

44.7%
  2. B

36.6%
  3. C

9.9%
  4. Below C

8.7%
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I look at that side of my closet like a graveyard. All those soldiers that never made it off the beach.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and Jets81 like this.
  2. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I feel your pain in regards to buying a jersey. Currently I only purchase the generic Jets tee shirts.

NCJetsfan and Jets81 like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That's why I bought a new jersey with a throwback name and number..

papapump, NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Sensible tactic for a Jets fan imo

papapump and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think they would’ve gotten more if traded once the new season started. It’s been reported that the Panthers kept upping their offer until it got serious at Fields pro day which was also a couple days after SF traded to 3.

It’s also been reported that SF and WFT checked in once FA started but I don’t think either team offered a 1st for Stafford even, I seriously doubt they were for Darnold. Darnold wasn’t any teams first choice.

Obviously the proof will be in the pudding and we’ll see how Wilson does and how JD builds around him but so far he’s handled this situation pretty darn well and at least got some quality value back for Darnold.

dmw, NCJetsfan, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  6. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I gave the Trade an A grade as i think it was a good return for the 32nd rated Q/B. What else do you think we were going to get for him? Most commentators suggested that we were going to get far less

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It's true that not every move has been genius, but he still gets an A in my book. He clearly has a plan and doesn't draft or sign players haphazardly. He makes moves with the reputation of the organization in mind. E.g. - he made sure to trade Darnold to a team that would put Darnold in position to succeed. His first draft is already successful, with at least 3 likely long-term starters. He never says anything negative about players. He has gotten excellent value in trades and as a result has stockpiled many draft picks.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. I'm undecided. We really don't have enough information on this.

Also, I think many of us (me included) thought that with his background, JD would come in and do almost everything right and quickly. I think we're seeing that's not who he is. He is more slow and deliberate, like Mac. He wants to gather as much information as possible before making a decision. He's trying not to make mistakes, but I think in his slow, deliberate process and having to get consensus, he winds up making mistakes. I think this may be part of a learning process for him, and we're going to have to be patient with him, just as we are with rookie players who may take 1-3 years to develop. We need to remember that while he had some input on personnel decisions with the Eagles, he may not have with the Bears or Ravens. Even if so, having input and making the decisions one's self with the accompanying pressure are very different. He may also allow his feelings for players to get in the way. He may have waited because he likes Sam, and secretly hoped that at the end of the process he would think that Sam was the best option and that neither Fields nor Wilson were better than Sam. IMO if that is accurate, then he needs to get past that. IMO it should have been very clear to him from the get-go that the team needed to move on from Sam for all the reasons that have been mentioned, and then work to get the best offer he could and then take it. Along with that, he could have decided upon which FA QB he was going to sign. I think if he goes with Wilson/Fields, Morgan and White, it's a mistake. I think he needs a veteran QB. Neither Beathard nor Mullens are keepers, but they know the system and could have helped the offense and would have kept pressure off of Wilson/Fields. He can still sign Mullens, and I think it will be a mistake if he doesn't. I won't kill him for that or be ready to see him fired, but I think we are going to have to be more patient with him than we want or expected.

9. NCJetsfan

You may be right, but I don't think so. I don't think Darnold would have had Baltimore in the playoffs. He would have been better than he has been with us, but if they didn't fix his footwork and ability to read Ds, and make good decisions, he'd have only been marginally better.

I also think that both Mahomes and Watson would have survived here. They probably wouldn't be as good as they are now, but both were more confident, had fewer issues than Sam coming out of college, especially with regards to mechanics and accuracy, and seeing the field. I do think Jackson would have been crushed both mentally and physically if he had tried to run as much here as he has in Baltimore. Allen it's hard to say. He was used to playing with no talent at Wyoming. Things may have been similar here as they were in Buffalo his rookie season. He probably wouldn't have made the leap he did if he was here playing for Gase, but if he had played well enough his rookie season, Bowles and Bates may still be here.

10. NCJetsfan

I'm not sure that he traded Darnold to a team that will put Darnold in a position to succeed. If he's starting this year, then I doubt if he will succeed. If so, it will probably take 2-3 years. I think he would be much better served to sit for a year and focus on his issues.

I agree with all the rest.

11. NCJetsfan

Smart man!

papapump likes this.
  12. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Really? There were rumblings during the season that it might be better if Sam goes elsewhere. He got 3 picks for Sam. That's good value. These picks can also be used to move up in this draft or next. JD was never getting a 1st because right now Sam is not worth it.

More picks are at least great value for Darnold. JD did an excellent job with the trade and he didn't let it drag on.

The market for good QBs was hotter. A 5th tier guy like Darnold commanding a 3-pick haul will get us someone good.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Agreed. It seems that once that Wilson's and Fields' Pro Days were over, he made his decision to move on, and then did so quickly. He didn't let it drag on, but the fact that it took him so long to come to that conclusion seems to indicate that his mind wasn't made up, and he didn't want to make a rash decision.

PJ4Ever and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

He did flat out say if we were picking a little later we would have kept sam

dmw and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Exactly! Good point. I had forgotten about that.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Point taken. Let me revise that. He has put Darnold in a good situation: a chance to start on a good team as opposed to a lousy team or a team where Darnold would be a guaranteed backup.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't think he was on the fence. He said in a press conference that they would have kept Sam as the starter if their 1st round pick was a bit later. The only conclusion is that the QBs that will be available at #2 presented a better risk than keeping Sam.

Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

As I said in my own response, the actual price is in the ballpark but the problem it has created with a backup/interim QB for the time it takes the new guy to be ready, if ever, may be costly. All things considered, I find it barely acceptable with the uncertainty being larger than it need be and options for the season fewer.

19. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Well, it might seem long but in actuality, it really wasn't. There was no need to move him until the pro-days were complete. He really had no choice but to wait since other teams had to finish their QB evaluations. So I think the waiting was more on the other teams than it was JD. Plenty of time before the draft to plan and strategize how best to use these 3 picks.

I like the draft flexibility JD has created with all of these picks. We now have enough picks to move around the draft and select the players we want. I feel like we're in control of this draft. Rarely have I felt this confident about a Jets draft. ha ha

20. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I learned my lesson. The only 3 that I cherish now are Namath, Martin, and Vinnie.

NCJetsfan likes this.