Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 2)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 1, 2021.

?

What do you pick?

1. Fields

15.8%
  2. Wilson

50.0%
  3. Darnold

17.5%
  4. Other - Explain

7.0%
  5. Watson - Up to 3 1st's.

9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What player?

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the real though, how often is there a general consensus among GM's that is legitimate? There's very little open information available to make that statement. And you're using a tweet from a guy that hasn't been employed in the league since 2005 after he ruined David Carr's career as a basis for this.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I was replying to Red Menace who was implying that consensus among GM's leads to them all being wrong more often than not. I just find that to be a preposterous notion. There are idiotic GM's for sure, as we Jet fans know all too well. It's still a collection of 32 of the best football scouts in the world, though.

Consensus can generally be inferred from first overall picks. They almost never outright bust, or at least they do so at far lower rates than any other pick. They don't always play up to expectation but the outright bust rate is very low.

I agree we aren't usually privy to the consensus. The Casserly tweet is a rare peek behind the curtain, though.

If the best retort against it is "he's wrong, lying, full of shit" etc then I really don't know what to say. It's an incredibly lazy comeback and reeks of grasping at straws.

It couldn't possibly be that 23 GM's disagree with a few TGG posters about Wilson, right?! Must just be a load of BS.

#1903 REVISion, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Man I wanted Reggie. Justin Miller and his pesky kick off returns cost us the ability to pick him. I think his career might have gone differently here. He would have definitely got more touches. He just had to hold up. We had nothing that year.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, all good

legler82 likes this.
  6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

See if Johnny Lawrence had Miyagi as his coach he would be the greatest of all time...instead he got screwed in the wrong system

LeonNYJ and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Delete - I'm being a dick. Corrected.

K'OB likes this.
  8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Fields having a 2nd pro day now with Lynch and Shanahan in attendance among other teams.

Fields probably realized its worth having another one to make the Niners think hard. I think it will work in his favor. Maybe JD attends with Saleh and Lafleur too

K'OB likes this.
  9. legler82

That was the plan all along since his first pro day.

[​IMG]

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Uhhh. Ok.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

So Urban M who coached OU and knows a thing or two about the system came back out of retirement to coach TL and not jump all over the boy wonder from his alma matter. Go figure

12. legler82

JT O’Sullivan REAL top 5

1. Fields
    2. Lawrence
    3. Wilson
    4. Lance
    5. Mond
    Honorable mention: Jones

26:30

IIMeanDeanII and Borat like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. One thing that's encouraging for the Jets is that JT said there is not much separation between top 3 guys, can't go wrong with either one, and he loves all 3. I do put a lot of weight into JT's opinion, and it's good to know he thinks we can't go wrong with top 3 of these, since there is about 100% chance we will get one of them.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

"likes throwing off platform a little too much"

legler82 likes this.
  15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Interesting lol, I strongly disagree. I’m not sure how you can watch Zach Wilson filmed and come away thinking he’s a dink & dunker..

16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

this makes no sense. the first pick is still only one teams decision ... and there are 250+ more picks in every draft. what general consensus are you inferring from those picks?

if the media had any type of handle on the general consensus, their mock drafts wouldnt be as inaccurate as they are
    the months before the draft is called the nfls "silly season" for a reason ... GMs have no incentive to be honest with the media

here are some recent examples of the "general consensus" from GMs, according to the media

2020 - tua over herbert
    2019 - haskins over jones
    2018 - darnold over the entire class

either the media or GMs are getting it wrong ... either way, reports like casserly's are worthless

legler82 likes this.
  17. legler82

He sees it too.

Zach Wilson Pro Day. Special on NFL network at 1 PM ET
    Post by: legler82, Mar 26, 2021 in forum: Draft

abyzmul likes this.
  18. legler82

I think his arm strength is just a little bit stronger than Darnold’s. It’s not in the upper tier class of the Mahomes, Allen, Stafford...etc. He just has a quick effortless motion and able to generate more torque you can expect w/o using his lower body. People seem to really really really really really like that. I simply just like it.

19. legler82

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I agree his arm is not top tier like those you mention but it’s top of the next tier for sure. I just don’t see how anyone would consider him a dink and dunker, kid is always looking to make plays downfield. I see his play style as extremely dynamic for the QB position.

Personally I prefer Justin Fields but I do think there is probably a reason I don’t know about that he isn’t as highly thought of in nfl circles, if in fact he’s not and he doesn’t go in top 3.

Honestly I just feel fortunate that there are multiple QBs worth picking in a year that the Jets own a top pick. There won’t be any question whether or not JD got his top choice, only if it is the right choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.