Panthers trade for Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 5, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's accurate enough in the sense that dollars and draft picks have more value the sooner they are received, all else being equal.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

True, some of these guys will not have played for 20 months or so, a lot to risk your reputation and a first-round draft pick on.

LAJet likes this.
  3. K'OB

Well we could go on forever tbh we won't agree, a first will always beat a third for me, even if we have to wait 2 seasons for it.

I concede that I wouldn't wait 3 years for a 100k cheque if I could get one tomorrow.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Lamaar was best year 1 though. came in to a 4-5 team and went 6-1 and led them to a division title while getting 11TDs to only 3 INTs

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What did Baker ever do to you? :p

6. K'OB

Careful, I made that joke and I am now on ignore :D:D:D:D

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

lol

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

no your not lol. i just chose to ignore your nonsense and told you that you were on ignore so you wouldn't poop up the boards with nonsense until you got over it ;)

9. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Allen looks dynamic.

Jackson needs to find some rythum with WRs.

However out of the three, Baker is the one I would feel uncomfortable extending at this time. It was baker, Josh roseand Sam that people loved and looks like Allen and Jackson are the diamonds.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Losmeister likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Seems like this thread has come off topic, but it is interesting to look back on that draft. They are all crapshoots. If anything is clear, it’s that there are very few truly “can’t miss / generational” QB prospects. Offhand I would say it would be Luck, Peyton, and Elway. They were sure fire can’t miss guaranteed prospects and lived up to that. Lawrence is the next one.

outside of those guys, they are all crapshoots for one reason or another.

going back, Baker has been pretty good but not in that league...he’s benefitted from a great defense and running game.

Darnold we all know...there is a healthy debate about how much of the blame is on the team and how much is on him....each one has their own opinion, but I would say he came into the worst situation of all of these QBs by far. Even the Browns and Cardinals had better talent than we did, and then there’s Gase

I think a lot of people liked Allen’s raw talent but there were significant questions around his accuracy which he is working through

rosen I’m surprised he flopped as bad as he did...I thought he’d do better so don’t know why he has been a total whitewash

Jackson I’m still not really sold on...he’s been great really only because if his extraordinary running ability, combined with the fact he went to one of the best run franchises in the league. Great organization, great coaching, etc, and they built an offense specifically for him. He’s got raw talent but he hits throws over the top when defenses collapse on his running game.

Interesting

As to this class, I think Fields Wilson and Lance all have questions that are valid, and all have talent.

I hope we choose the right guy...

azhar80, cval, MDJets and 1 other person like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

he wasn't inaccurate. it was a myth. he was inconsistent due to poor mechanics. he fixed them and his completion % in the NFL went up.

legler82 likes this.
  12. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

However if you are a great draft GM , a guy that can recognize talent, on a yr with limited games played you should be able to school GMs that are old school and or cap GM guys. JD is supposed to be a draft guru, this is the ultimate yr for him

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This a great example. Passing on Sapp due to perceived issues for TE Kyle Brady killed us.

Royal Tee likes this.
  14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

After one year, most people on this board wanted Josh Allen over Quinnen Williams. Too early. Really need to give it 3 years to see what these guys are. At least 2.

chandler likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

definitely true that a draft takes a couple of years to really show what it is in most cases. Some players shine early, some late.

but to that specific question, it’s more than just the player himself. It’s also about team building.

in that draft, we already had a pretty good DT in Leo. What we really needed was an edge rusher. Allen showed his potential on a good DL in Jacksonville. The proper way to build that DL was to take the edge and pair him with Leo. That would have helped both players. While Q has shown ability and was a good pick in and of himself, it really made Leo redundant, and that’s why JD traded him. Q didn’t help Leo, and Leo didn’t help Q. They were too similar in how they attack an offense. They were not complementary players.

so all we did is waste a 3rd overall pick on Leo since we just replaced him with another 3rd overall pick. Had we taken the edge, we’d now have two overall 3rd picks who would actually be helping each other succeed.

this was a waste of high resources and is a great example of why we had so many top picks and yet never improved. Most of the time, we blew the picks outright, but even in the rare cases where we got a good player at the pick, they were ABSOLUTELY the WRONG player.

same with Adams. Sixth overall. Great player...all pro. Personally I prefer my all pro safeties to be ball hawks and pick machines like Ed Reed, but still, Adams was disruptive and sad to say, he was the best pass rusher we had. Still. Absolutely the wrong pick. That pick should have been either Mahomes or Watson. Period. And that’s not hindsight. I think most of us said it at the time. We knew better than Mac.

he was just clueless in how to build a team. Wasted draft picks. Going safety back to back one year. At least they were both good players. He went receiver back to back and blew both of those picks in Stewart and Hanson.

in five drafts he drafted 3 OL, one in the third round and two in the fifth.

There is no doubt that he was a clueless imbecile when it came to team building. Just horrible. And that was after two years of Idzik and his idiocy.

HomeoftheJets, cval and PJ4Ever like this.
  16. K'OB

Hanson got some game time with Watson last season and got a 100-yard game and only didn't catch two attempts that came his way, he was another player that had some promise that the OC didn't bother with in the passing game, only targeting their favourites, him and Stewart barely got a chance tbh.

Jets79 likes this.
  17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We'll see on Quinnen. He still needs to prove himself further. Furthermore like I said it doesn't take years to know when you pass on impact guys. Several of those Douglas passed on in the draft.

He needs to do much better this draft cycle. Has to.

18. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Quinnen Williams has been special last year, what are you watching? I am willing to bet he is a pro bowler next year.

PJ4Ever, K'OB and cval like this.
  19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Special? No. Better than his 1st year, yeah. Let's see if you're around in January to back up your pro bowl claim. We'll see.

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

2018 draft class will go down as overhyped. None of the QBs will be great. Maybe Allen and Jackson will be solid career starters. Although Jackson will have to evolve his game if he wants a long career. Running QBs either learn to become pocket passers or they either end up injured or if they escape that they lose their speed over time along with their luster.