Grade Darnold Trade for Jets (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 5, 2021.

?

How would you grade the Jets Darnold Trade

1. A

44.7%
  2. B

36.6%
  3. C

9.9%
  4. Below C

8.7%
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's it? Somehow I was expecting something a bit more specific considering the "A" grade you gave.

2. Ralebird

Yeah. I don't see any of these as better options than Darnold though; and that was nothing special.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That may well be true but the crux is, he can't have Darnold and his draft selection fighting it out for the #1 spot, even if it is played out as Darnold is taking the reins on week one and the plan is to sit Wilson or whoever we draft for the season, 1 INT by Sam and it will turn to hell, conversely if Sam then becomes inspired by an actual decent set of coaches and play-calling to suit him then JD will only then look the huge cunt for pissing up the #2 pick on an unneeded QB.

So these other guys are only ever to be looked at as 1, Rentals or 2, Starting QB to then step into the #2 role in due course and continue on being a career backup.

Tbh Minshew has pissed all over Darnold and he was either a low draft pick or UDFA

Edit 6th rounder in fact.

4. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Maybe but I think we got a very fair deal for him, we got what most likely will be a high or middle second, a fourth (which can be good) and a sixth (camp body). He had only showed the most brief flashes of the greatness that was expected of him. I doubt we could have gotten more.

Yankee6 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree regarding Jackson needing an offense designed around him. Bates may have been good for Allen, but I don't think we'd have seen the development that he made under Daboll, but even if so, with Bowles and Bates leaving and Gase coming in, it would probably have been all over.

No one suggested drafting an inferior talent out of fear your CS is incapable of developing said talent. I agree in that scenario that you fire the CS, but as you know, JD didn't have that option. He was hired after the fact, and Gase was his peer, not subordinate.

I agree that completion percentage and accuracy aren't the same, but I disagree that Allen's accuracy was no worse than his peers. That's patently not true.

#145 NCJetsfan, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Jets79 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That 6th round pick could be a backup or core STer, and not just a camp body.

7. Ralebird

I've never been concerned about healthy competition and anyone but a prima donna should understand that. Every single one of these guys has had to deal with competing for a position since they were kids. It also gives the flexibility that serves the team best, not mollycoddling some guy's sense of entitlement. Darnold has exhibited nothing that indicates he is anything but a career backup, quite possibly with a short career at that. If it is revealed that he is actually more than that I would have preferred it happened here.

8. K'OB

My post never suggested anything of the kind?

My example was from JD's point of view only not a QB v QB point of view as a likely reason why he has not kept Sam at the club as the vet presence, even though the FA Vets are rather lacking in quality.

9. Ralebird

Well, you did say that Douglas can't have Darnold and the draftee fighting it out and that's precisely where we disagree. Once the Watson possibility was off the table I was looking forward to allowing the competition to play out and the greater options it would have given the team for the upcoming season and longer into the future. At least we agree on what kind of quality we can expect from the new placeholder.

10. K'OB

He can't have them fighting it out because of Sam won he looks a cunt, I did say that in the OP.
    It isn't my own opinion just my reasoning to the question why did he let Sam go when the FA vets look shit.
    I didn't think it was that complicated a suggestion tbh but you're giving it a good go mate
    But on this latest point I don't really disagree but then my job isn't on the line, so JD has swung the bat and gone all in on a new coach and staff and a QB that Saleh must want.
    Here's to our future success be it Wilson or Fields

11. Ralebird

Yes, you said that and I disagree. I don't care what anyone looks like, I care about building a team and winning games and I don't know why Douglas made the dubious decision he did in making the trade. If he had a succession plan in place, it seems like we would have heard of it almost immediately.

Just Wilson or Fields? Or Jones, or Trask, or even Lawrence if Wilson continues to get better by the hour?

12. K'OB

Are you still misunderstanding me?
    It isn't what I think but what I think JD is thinking and the reason he may have traded Sam away.

Again I agree on the succession comment, It is hard to believe he hasn't got a vet in place but I guess if he did get a vet in before trading Sam we would have got a 4th for Sam as JD would have tipped his hand but he hard balled that trade to the end.
    We will just have to wait and see what occurs between now and the draft.

13. Ralebird

I don't think I'm misunderstanding at all, just not agreeing. You seem very concerned about someone looking like a cunt and I don't care about that in the slightest and would decry anyone who makes business decisions based on such considerations.

K'OB likes this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think JD was on the fence about trading Sam up until he traded Sam. Back when the market for QB's was a lot hotter than this week, JD maybe scores an additional 1st. along with a big package. He did well to trade Darnold in a down market, but again he may have overplayed his hand like he did with Robbie underestimating the market. What's that old saying about "striking while the iron is hot".

#154 Cman68, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    K'OB, papapump and James Hasty like this.
  15. Ralebird

Why do I have the feeling that we'll all be better off just laughing at whoever the Jets pick up as the fill in rather than getting pissed off?

Unless they pay way too much instead of just too much.

16. K'OB

Hardly concerned tbf no need to stretch the truth for no reason.
    Concerned you weren't understanding though given your replies.

17. K'OB

Always a possibility but some times the market may just have never been there from the beginning, something we will never know now. As for Robby I still feel Gase got at him and said don't over pay for this one trick pony, he is no use to me, sigh Gase.

Cman68 and Ralebird like this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

you know it’s typical Jets, but I 100% believe that if we had drafted either Allen or Jackson they would both still suck and we’d be in the same spot, and had Darnold landed on Baltimore he’d have had them in the playoffs too.

I truly believe that this team, with those coaches and with that GM refusing to build an offense, would have crushed whoever the draft pick was.

K'OB likes this.
  19. K'OB

No QB out of that class would have survived here, maybe not even Mahomes as he got to sit behind a decent QB with an excellent coach helping him, the only one that might have made it was Watson as that Texans OL was as bad as ours, he might have kept Bowles in a job and then we would have had no Gase, just Sliding doors (film) again, sigh.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We traded the worst QB in the league (statistically speaking) for some draft picks. Perhaps Douglas could have gotten more with better timing. Comparing the Darnold pick to what we have now it’s a huge loss, but the Darnold pick isn’t on Douglas. I commend him for making a move to get his own guy behind center.

Got his coach and he’ll soon have his QB.

I lost the most in this deal because I own a Darnold jersey. F without a doubt.

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.