Grade Darnold Trade for Jets (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 5, 2021.

?

How would you grade the Jets Darnold Trade

1. A

44.7%
  2. B

36.6%
  3. C

9.9%
  4. Below C

8.7%
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

sometimes the path isn't clear and the draft is a crapshoot. remember i said stay at 6 and draft josh allen or trade down get extra picks and lamaar jackson. everyone here said I was an idiot and that both of them were busts. meanwhile both QBs led their teams to playoffs, made pro bowls, and jackson won an MVP and allen was in the top 3 for MVP votes this year. meanwhile we traded off sam already and baker has been average on a stacked team. of course mac gave away 3 2nd rounders to trade up leaving us to take sam or baker. which is why we are back here. if JD was to trade back and take fields or lance you just have to trust it sometimes.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There are no guarantees of finding a trade partner after we accepted the Cowboys' picks, and it's just more hassle than Adams was worth. IMO it's best to take the best offer you get and move on.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

The thing is if you’ve been a Jet fan for any length of time you’ve seen this movie before. A number of times. And the ending is always the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

JD should have traded Sam last offseason when he decided he wanted to move on from Sam Sam was coming off a nice little run and would have gotten a 1st and 2 nd . JD instead decided to give him no help at all and crush his trade value. Yes JD got good value for Sam on 04/05/21, where his value was at an all-time low. However 1 yr ago, 6 months ago Sam had much more value and if JD was on it then was the time to trade him.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

he hadn't decided that until after wilsons pro day.

6. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Yes, as you press the general rule to it's edges it's faulty for sure; it's very susceptible to reductio ad absurdum arguments. It's also why I think you rarely see trades that actually push the guideline to it's limits - it simply doesn't hold up outside of one round and one year extrapolation for the most part. Like you're saying, nobody was going to give them a 2024 1st for Darnold instead simply because it's that much further away.

In the situation the Jets are in, where no one was going to give them what they want this year, they chose to take a loss for a whole year in order to get the return to a draft round they wanted to touch. Douglas could take the approach of sacrificing present day value because they're not a "present day team", if you will - they're rebuilding.

Immediacy in building sports teams is a MOTHERF*CKER, and it goes both ways. Sometimes a team that has a high degree of immediacy will trade high-end prospects/picks who are far away, for a solid contributor that takes them to the next level of winning. Other times they trade Fernando Tatis, Jr. for James Shields. Sometimes a team refuses to part with any future draft picks or prospects, despite needing that solid roster addition, misses out on opening a window, and ends up never ascending despite having had a promising future.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I wanted to stay put and take BAP (Quinton Nelson or Bradley Chubb would have been fine by me).

Everyone thought I was nuts.

Section 336 likes this.
  8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

For the most part, good GMs trade down not up.
    Giving up assets especially when you are in a prime position to get a high caliber player is usually not a good idea.

NCJetsfan, REVISion and Snatch Catch like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

nelson would have been nice but we still wouldn't have had a QB and we needed one badly

10. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I think that they will bring in a Vet Q/B to play until whomever we pick is ready.

I wouldn't want to be the one making the choice of Q/B, as they all have their shortcomings, but that is why JD is paid the big bucks.

K'OB likes this.
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The stats with him aren't much better.

REVISion likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Agreed. The rebuilding process could've started sooner as well. When they traded their best defensive player to Seattle, saw their second best defensive player opt-out, and let their top receiver walk in FA, they knew they were being cheap and it was going to be a rough year.

Shoulda cashed in on Darnold then. Not only would we have gotten more but the rebuild would be further along by now.

The Jets always "half-ass" things, thats why they haven't won anything in my entire lifetime

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Who was giving a 1st and a 2nd?

The mythical mad GM that people think was out there just waiting to chuck picks at us for Sam. :rolleyes:

14. NCJetsfan

and

OTOH, if the Jets had traded Sam last year and begun the rebuild process, we'd still probably have Gase at HC, the Johnsons would still have been making decisions regarding the team, would have the same org chart, and unless a top ten team traded us their 1st round pick for Sam (which is highly unlikely) the Jets would have been drafting at #11 and somewhere again lower, so we would have had no shot at Burrow, Herbert or Tagovailoa. Would we have taken Becton, or would we have traded down and taken Jalen Hurts? With Gase as HC, it probabl wouldn't have mattered who we drafted, and we'd probably have been stuck with him for at least a couple of more years.

So far the timing has worked out perfectly for us. We got the best GM we've had in a long time because of bad timing/decision by Chris Johnson. We got a haul of draft picks for Adams due to a bad decision by Mac. We're drafting #2 and have a chance to get our FQB without having to burn a lot of draft capital because we had Gase as HC. Either Wilson or Fields could wind up being better than Lawrence in the NFL, maybe both.

Rather than focusing on the mistakes or "shouldas" and "couldas," we should focus on what is going right with the team and the great position we're in now.

15. NCJetsfan

and

Even if we had drafted Allen or traded down and taken Jackson, do you think either would have developed with Bowles/Bates and then switching to Gase? I don't Jackson would have gotten seriously injured trying to run the ball. Allen would have been run out of town due to his inaccuracy. There are no guarantees that if JD traded back that he would still get one of Fields or Lance. The team we traded down with could take one of them, and another team ahead of where we traded down to could take the other or another team could trade up and take the other. The best thing to do was stay put at #2 and take the QB that JD wants.

If we had taken Nelson or Chubb, their impact would have been minimal and we probably still wouldn't have a QB or he'd be someone only marginally better than Sam or maybe even worse. Nelson would have been one great OG on a bad OL, and when surrounded by lousy players, he may not have looked nearly as great. With no one else supplying pressure, Chubb likely wouldn't have had much success.

One always has to take the chance to get a FQB when one is close to the top 5. It hurts when one misses, but in order to build a consistent winner, one has to have a topnotch QB. One doens't find them lower in the draft very often.

16. GasedAndConfused

the problem is the path isn't linear. if we draft allen maybe we don't hire gase. maybe we don't fire bowles. maybe we hire someone else. it changes all the events after it.
    at the end of the day everything that happened has led us to JD and saleh and a fresh start at QB with wilson. tons of picks and cap room and a solid young core to build around. I feel like we are in a good spot now. which we need badly after 10+ years without a playoff appearance

Snatch Catch likes this.
  17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Jackson is/was a unique prospect that required specific catering. Him aside, I think Bates would have been good for Allen. He was good for Darnold. Since his departure, Darnold mechanically and mentally has gotten progressively worse. IMO provided all things are equal, as a GM you can’t draft an inferior talent out of fear your CS is incapable of developing said talent. In that scenario you fire the CS not the pass on the talent. Lastly,
    I would say that Allen had poor CMP% stats but was never an inaccurate passer at least not anymore than his draft peers. Accuracy & CMP% are not one in the same. If he was ran out of town on that basis, then we would truly be a clueless organization and/or fan base which I don’t believe is the case.

18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

A. It was def better than I expected.

19. GasedAndConfused

darnolds mechanics and decision making was always an issue. he made up for it with arm talent but that only gets you so far in the NFL. He still has the arm talent but hasn't improved in any other part of his game in 3 years. That's a big failure on the part of the jets and darnold gets blame too of course. hopefully in carolina he can turn it around. seeing sam chuck bombs to robby again will be exciting.

20. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I wanted to keep Sam and have him as backup or even start a few games if Wilson isn't ready. We would have gotten more for Sam as soon as the first starting QB got injured in the league.

Ralebird likes this.