Grade Darnold Trade for Jets (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 5, 2021.

?

How would you grade the Jets Darnold Trade

1. A

44.7%
  2. B

36.6%
  3. C

9.9%
  4. Below C

8.7%
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Think of it this way. If you had the 2020 cowboys 18th pick and 3rd round pick wanted to trade back to pick in the 2021and 2022 drafts how much would you have gotten in return. With Lamb on the board we likely could have gotten a late 2020 1st and a 2021 1st. Then if you wanted to trade that late 2020 1st back to equal the seattle 2021 1st what could you have got? At least a 2nd in 2020and a 2021 1st. Already with not very good trades you have 2 2021 1sts and a 2nd. The 2020 cowboys 3rd is equal to the 2022 seahawks 1st. Even with bad trades and not getting fair value the 1st and 3rd from 2020 would get you a whole lot more trading back a year then what we got from Seattle which is why the trade value chart discounts future years picks. That being said and JD might have mistimed the trade and screwed up in his evaluation of Adams he did make the most of a bad situation and got good value at the time. In hindsight he could have gotten a lot more.

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The Seattle GM Schneider said in 2017 that every team uses a revised chart that is based off the same principal as the the JJ chart but just adds in that comp picks can now be traded. Other than that it is still all the same. I would also add in this nice 2011 article as it has a nice graph that shows value in trades align almost perfectly with the trade value chart.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I give the trade an A, JD just has to do the business now with the draft picks.

We can all say Sam may develop into this or that, but it seems that Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh have made up their minds and have decided to start again at Q/B - and they are the people that make the decisions.

K'OB likes this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

.500 is too much

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The old JJ draft value chart says a "next year pick" is worth one round lower than a current year pick, right?

So, effectively, we got a 3rd, a 5th and a 6th. I say that's not very good. Kind of pathetic, actually.

If it had been a current year 2nd and 4th, and a next year 6th, that would have been excellent.

James Hasty likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is still a ridiculous way to work it out, I don't care what anybody says, a 2nd rounder is a 2nd rounder, it is not a 3rd rounder and when we come to spend it, it will be a 2nd rounder on a 2nd round bit of talent, not a 3rd round talent, that is why it is a 2nd round pick.

That chart is utter bollocks, like saying a 2023 1st is = to a 2021 3rd, I'd take 3 of them right now and spend them on 1st round talents when the time comes in 23, still better than 90% of the picks you could have made with a 21 3rd round selection.

NCJetsfan and jonnyd like this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

We would have been lucky to get a bag of deflated balls (courtesy of Tom Brady) and a bag of dirty laundry! This is a win!

#107 bicketybam, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    K'OB likes this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This graphic made me spit out my drink.

James Hasty and Ralebird like this.
  9. K'OB

Oh we knew that, it was mentioned in one of these 20 threads the other day/week by a Darnold fan, it is a fair point it has to be said but meh it is over now, time to move on with whoever JD has lined up for the #2 and Mullens or A N Other VET

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I knew we sucked w/o him; I didn’t realize it was that bad.

K'OB likes this.
  11. K'OB

We sucked bad, Gase level bad

12. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

The thing a lot of people in here are missing is the value of the time between the relinquishing of your asset in the trade, and the maturity of the one you acquired.

A 2nd round pick is absolutely a 2nd round pick at the time of the draft it's in. But picks further out have less present day value because their practical utility is almost nil. 2021 draft picks will have the potential to impact the team on the field for this entire coming season. In this scenario the Jets would have loved to receive draft capital this year, but the Panthers were unwilling to surrender that value. So, based on his 6 year contract and the present expectations for the Jets in 2021, Douglas decided to take the asset hit this season in order to maximize the return for the future.

I love the move to get a higher pick than was offered in in discussions for a 2021 draft return, but there is still a cost here - the Jets get almost zero utility from the asset they gave up for a full calendar year.

TwoHeadedMonster and K'OB like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What decision do you see them making in naming a starting QB in September?

14. K'OB

But ultimately and let's talk best-case scenarios, a 1 st round pick of high quality say a Pitts or Toney even who is likely to be there at #23 is still likely to be better than a 21 3rd round selection unless you knock the ball out of the park, of course, there are good talents to be had but I'd still prefer to wait and select the from the top table in another year, you will always need to and you never know what you would do if you had 2 picks in round 1 down the line, fuck I'd love a 3rd round 1 this year that's for sure, it is stacked with needs lol

Snatch Catch likes this.
  15. K'OB

Not Sam Darnold.

Pass me the prize money :p

I am going to say not who they draft, so a VET picked up, I could see Teddy back tbh but only for a low draft or none if they have the balls to wait until he is released, I also wouldn't mind Minshew but I don't think it would be good to create to much friction/competition, Mullens knows the system so you'd think he would be favourite then there is Gabbert who also knows the system.

16. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

I voted. It’s an “A” for me.

Wish the young man greener pastures. The GM and coaching was putrid when he got here and never improved. At times he seemed immature inexperienced and inconsistent.

I screamed “Go Sammy” at plenty of games. Will never forget him connecting with Robby right in front of me in the end zone.

Next...

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

effectively yes. but remember there are 2 types of teams in the NFL. win now and win later. we are win later. win now teams will trade future stuff for immediate impact to win now. that helps the win later teams get better and the win now teams fizzle and turn into win later teams and the win later teams become win now teams. it's a never ending cycle. for a win later team future picks are good. we already have 10 picks this year. we'll have 11 next year now. premium picks are rounds 1-3 and we have 10 of them in the next 2 years. that's enough to replace half our starters with good picks in the next few years.

There is also the factor darnold was on his final year. he had to decide to let him walk or pay him 18 mil next year. now we save that 18 mil, get more then we would have letting him walk, and save 5 mil this year. it's good value considering the situation for us

18. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Sorry for the silence lately guys--haven't posted much since we beat the Rams and Browns. I voted B--think it definitely superseded expectations, but wish the higher picks were this year of course.

It's been tough for me to be as enthusiastic about the process as much this year after those franchise altering wins--

The way this played out was what I was afraid of--after Lawrence there is truly no consensus on the next best QB prospect. I was a critic of Fields before it was popular on this board and some of you guys battled me, including my friend @NCJetsfan ;)

Wilson is my pick at #2 just based on his accuracy and ability, but I think he comes with a low floor--could be Drew Brees could be Kyle Boller, think Manziel comp is stupid. I think the system we run helps his chances.

It will take him playing well to ever forgive our ownership for allowing us to get beat out by the Jags for the best prospect since Luck--especially since the intention was wanting to move on from Sam. Just sit the kid and start Morgan.

Slowly but surely I hope to post more again....miss you guys

FOF

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i don't see him similar to the 2. I'd say his ceiling is rodgers and his floor is darnold. all 3 are similar players. boller had a cannon but not much else. brees has a noodle but every intangible, smart and accurate.

Noam likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Welcome back. I understand. Sorry if I gave you a hard time. I actually think it's a plus that there's not a consensus after Lawrence. I favor Wilson, but I think either Wilson or Fields could be very good for us. I do disagree that Wilson's floor is low, but that's ok.

If things had worked out differently and JD had decided to roll with Sam and had traded down like Miami did, I'd have been gone and turned in my Jets' fan card by now. That could still happen if he suffers vapor lock and does something dumb like drafting Sewell or DeVonta Smith at #2, or trading down during the draft and doesn't take one of Wilson/Fields.

#120 NCJetsfan, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.