Jets should sign Alex Smith asap (RETIRED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

You do know who was the starting QB for Chargers before Hebert?

and we have seen some guys who started right away and didn’t pan out to well.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the plan was to be super competitive this upcoming season. I'd rather have a losing record and develop the rookie QB properly than to throw the rookie out there like we did with Sam. My biggest concern for the Jets opening day QB is that he is a guy that the rookie can learn from.

K'OB likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Burrow and Herbert were older, more experienced and played multiple years against high competition. Wilson you can't say the same. Murray is different because of his path with baseball

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, if Fields is the pick are 2, are you still singing the same tune with him having him sit?

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is a yes from me, some garbage time plays would also be good, keep the pressure off them for as long as possible.

6. BrowningNagle

probably. He struggles to read defenses and I think it will result in him holding onto the ball for too long.

dawinner127 likes this.
  7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

It’s still just football...Players don’t need to be coddled. If Wilson or Fields wins the job they should play.

Recent rookies have been fine playing the QB position, we just need to obviously upgrade the oline some more to give whoever the QB is a fighting chance.

REVISion likes this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sit or not a veteran presence in the QB room helps the rookie. I like the sit for the first half start the second half ala Baker, Herbert, Tua etc.

9. BrowningNagle

the big thing is that they are not used to playing 16 games. They top out at 10-12 in a given year. Zach Wilson has a small frame and recent shoulder surgery, needing him to play 16 as a rookie is stupid IMO

LAJet likes this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It also takes time for an oline to gel especially with new faces and new coaching staff new offense of scheme. Let the vet get beat up and put in the rook a few games down the road.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we're looking for someone to start the season, say, play until the by, then you are correct. Mccown's ship has sailed.

But, if Saleh is planning on starting (Wilson) day 1 and wants a good bench/mentor for his young rookie, then I can't think of anyone better than Mccown. Can you really?

12. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Nick Mullens would make the most sense in this scenario. He played in this offense for the last few seasons and isn’t completely awful. He’s not good, but he can make some plays and give the team a chance.

I would assume that we go in that direction but I guess we’ll see

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you literally described smith. WFT was 2-6 without smith. he came in and went 5-3 and won them the division.

14. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

nick mullens....:D

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Have you forgotten?

2018:
    Sam Darnold started right off the bat.

Enough said.

LAJet likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If you want to hire him as QB coach, I would be onboard, except we already have a QB coach. We need a vet who can play too. Even Alex Smith is a better choice than 42 year old Josh, who hasn't really played in 2 years and hasn't practiced last year. If he makes it to the Jets somehow, it will be as some sort of coach, not a back-up QB.

17. Ralebird

Yeah, I did - he's the guy with his foot on backwards and his birth certificate crumbling. The "beloved" nonsense means zero to me; I'm not looking for a mentor for anyone - that's why NFL teams have dozens of coaches who don't count against the cap or cost multi-millions. He had a decent half a year with a decent team. I am not impressed.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Sam's first season wasn't that bad for a rookie. Yeah, he was still bottom 3, but he got experience, his confidence was not broken, and he had some good moments. After the first season everyone was still hopeful. There are plenty of examples where good QBs sat first year, played first year, etc... The bottom line is you need to protect him and if he wins the starting job fair and square, he can start. If he doesn't and needs to sit a bit, he can sit for some time too.

19. Ralebird

Not that bad is not that good. Darnold wasn't ready for the NFL in September 2018. No good purpose was played by starting him that soon. There is no reason to believe that any draftee will be ready for the NFL in September 2021, especially if he has come from the Cupcake Conference.

20. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

Smith needs to go home and be a family man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.