Grade Darnold Trade for Jets (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 5, 2021.

?

How would you grade the Jets Darnold Trade

1. A

44.7%
  2. B

36.6%
  3. C

9.9%
  4. Below C

8.7%
  1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Based on the patterns we have seen, I don’t think LaFluer and Saleh will put Fields and Wilson as Game 1 starter when NFL season starts especially if they are cutting back pre-season games. I would be very surprised if Wilson or Fields starts game 1.
    That’s just my opinion. Why we need a solid veteran QB. It will be interesting to see if it will be Alex Smith, Mullens or JD trades for a veteran.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We don't have it anymore.

Carolina has the player taken with that pick.

3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m going to say a B just because the 2nd and 4th are next year and those assets we could of used this year to help Wilson develop. But it’s a good trade for us

TwoHeadedMonster and boozer32 like this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

But who won the only games last year? Including the Rams on the road with all world A-A ron Donald. It cost the Jets TL but nonetheless a win on the road. I couldn't take another 0-16 season. Just too embarrassing.

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

B sounds about right for the moment. But it might be a few years before the total impact of this trade is graded

6. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

The return itself is OK, but I personally would have traded down (even twice if possible) for a ton of quality picks and gambled on Sam being able to turn it around with an improved team and coaching staff.

We’ll see who is right, and I hope it’s not me.

James Hasty likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO there are no really good options left in FA. Alex Smith is there, but I doubt that he wants to play for us, and even if he did, don't think we could fit him under the cap without cutting players. Nick Mullens (formerly of the Niners) knows the offense. He may be the best option available; otherwise, the FAs available are Colt McCoy, RG III, AJ McCarron, Matt Barkley, Nate Sudfeld, Ryan Griffin, 80-year old Josh McCown, Geno Smith, Blaine Gabbert, Brian Hoyer, Blake Bortles, Brett Hundley, Sean Mannion, Jake Ruddock, Joshua Dobbs, Kurt Benkert, and Joe Webb. None of those sound appealing to me.

Do any of those sound appealing? If so, whom?

8. NCJetsfan

I disagree. I don't think most teams use that trade chart any more. I'd rather receive two 1st round picks and a 3rd than just one 1st round pick and a 3rd. In addition, Adams wanted to go to the Cowboys. Trading him to the Cowboys should never have even been a consideration after the way Adams acted. I would have accepted even less from another team rather than trade him to the Cowboys.

9. NCJetsfan

We're glad that you aren't the GM. We'd have been looking for a QB again, and if JD continued to build the team via the draft, we'd have had few realistic chances of getting a topnotch QB in 2022 and 2023. We'd have been stuck with JAGS or a mediocre QB that we drafted.

10. James Hasty

Cowboys had a great draft and looked to be a serious team last year.

If we had known their first rounder would be # 10 overall instead of them making the playoffs we would have told the Seahawks to pound salt.

No way we could have known the Cowboys would be bad enough not to win the weakest division in the NFL.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

They are still assets that we can use to help Wilson develop. It may have been better to get them this year, but we wouldn't have gotten as much, and the assets can be used next year very nicely.

12. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Hey we’ll see who was right when Sam plays in Carolina this year and I guess how Wilson progresses if he even plays this season.

There’s no point in arguing Sam anymore, he will either prove some of us right or some of us wrong this season.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

So they got our failed pick. Good for them

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The trade is awful. We got a second rounder for a 3rd overall pick. With that being said with what Sam has put on tape we got a steal. Potential gets coaches fired Sam is still potential. Sam gets a fresh start and looks like he will start. No more excuses for the kid he has to perform. He has the physical skills to be successful.

15. bicketybam

The first 0-16 season was rough on you?

16. James Hasty

He is a 23 year old QB that is likely taking Carolina to the playoffs next year.

What failed pick?

17. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I haven't done the math so I'll assume you have, but I'd much rather have 2 1sts than an immediate 1st and 3rd since we aren't a win now team and we were able to be patient. In the long run, 2 1sts are better, especially when you stack all these picks at the same time with now a QB on a rookie deal.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. bicketybam

Riiiiiight.

Leicester Jet and REVISion like this.
  19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i graded it a B, and agree with your backup suggestions.

hope the team NEVER drafts a qb from usc and ohio state ever again!

joe needs to come out of this draft with a hit on a center, guard, and right tackle.

envision fant sliding over to guard, and conner sliding over to guard also.

as buddy ryan said ( in the 1972 jets-colts shootout) :' go tell those guys in the huddle to protect joe, and if they don't, then don't get on the bus after the game. just keep on walking.'

#99 mr nyjet, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  20. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

mc coy, mc carron, mullens( who would be best choice)

NCJetsfan likes this.