Grade Darnold Trade for Jets (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 5, 2021.

?

How would you grade the Jets Darnold Trade

1. A

44.7%
  2. B

36.6%
  3. C

9.9%
  4. Below C

8.7%
  1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

@BuffaloBills06 why the fuck are you even voting but with your below C grade I now know it was a good trade for the Jets.

dawinner127 likes this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

So we gave up:

Sixth overall pick
    Three second round picks

We got:
    Second round pick
    Fourth round pick
    Sixth round pick

Unless we are flipping the Carolina picks to move up for Lawrence it seems we have used our draft capital to enrich the Colts and the Panthers at our expense.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Timing was awful on this trade. JD possibly could have gotten more but waited too long to make this deal. Watson/Wilson/Fields were all indicators the Jets were going to trade Darnold. Once the market dried up, JD had no choice but to get what he could for Darnold and move on. Maybe the Jets were asking too much initially. JD got what he could, but I can't shake the feeling if he had pulled the trigger earlier he could have gotten more. Nice salvage job though.

Footballgod214, Noam and Brook! like this.
  4. K'OB

Do you not think there are circumstances?

Maybe no interest in Sam by anybody, it seems the Panthers have only come out of the woodwork because they were looking at Watson but his pecker has fucked that (excuse the pun)

We have got a 2nd a 4th and a 6th, what do you think he could have bettered that with?

An actual first?

If somebody offered a 1st at any point since he said he would take calls then Sam would have been gone a lot earlier.

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Eh it's not like Darnold was ever anyone's FIRST choice between Watson, Russell Wilson and trading up for one of the drafted QB's out there. It was always gonna come down to what the market was after the other options went off the board.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. K'OB

You just can't think of it like that, you could second sight yourself to death with how badly we have drafted in the last 10 years but you can't hang JD out for previous trades, it is the one thing JD looks highly competent at.

Not sure how we have enriched the Panthers out of your example either tbh?

We have just taken 3 picks off them for statistically the worst QB in the league.

Jets81, Jets79, Leicester Jet and 4 others like this.
  7. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I'm confused how you think we could have gotten more value from the Adams trade....we received 2 1st round picks!

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I would give it a "B" for now. Could go to an "A+" or an "F". We all will look at who the Jets take at #2. Most likely Wilson but the real interesting part is what JD does with the rest of this draft and next years draft. How he builds the team around Wilson (most likely him) will determine what the grade is for this trade an JD's overall job performance.

Cman68 and boozer32 like this.
  9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The only real difference between Darnold and Wilson I can see is that Darnold has to get paid sooner.

As many teams picking QBs in the top 10 have learned it is really a crapshoot expecting a college QB to transition to success in the NFL.

Both guys have strong arms, mobility, and looked great coming out of college.

At 23 years old it is a bit too early to have pulled the plug on Darnold.

Just like when I told you guys that giving up three second rounders was a bad idea then I am telling you that using the second overall pick to take something we already had is a bad idea.

papapump likes this.
  10. K'OB

You didn't tell me anything James, I wanted Barkley ;) I never really like Darnold either until his really good pro day, so that was a lesson learned there.

But the difference between Sam and Wilson is the latter hasn't failed, 23yo or not he has been ruined by Gase and needed really to go and sit behind somebody for a season and relearn what he has forgotten, work on his happy feet and ghost vision and come back stronger as a 25yo but he is going straight into the #1 spot at the Panthers and getting a chance to take stock on what went wrong.

I am not a Wilson fan either, I wanted a trade-down and take Lance as late as possible but that looks unlikely on many fronts now, Lance's stock went up and so has his likely draft position.

Sam was done here, an interception in the first game and the fans would have been howling for his blood, that would have been just cruel to the lad tbh.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The Cowboy offer of a 1st and 3rd in 2020 draft picks was much greater in trade value points than the Seahawks trade (of 2021 and 2022 draft picks) we eventually accepted. The Cowboys offer was more than double the value in trade value points. Again given the circumstances at the time the Seahawk trade was good value but like the Darnold trade the timing was poor and we got less in value because we traded late.

#71 Noam, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  12. K'OB

Does that then not show how stupid that draft trade value chart is then?

Sec124DieHard and cval like this.
  13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

To go from the 3rd draft choice overall n have given up 3 #2 for him is surely a huge drop IMHO :mad:

James Hasty likes this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We were lucky that Gase was so bad he could be viewed as the primary point of failure for Darnold, if we had had a halfway decent OC and Darnold still looked as bad, we might only be getting the 6th rounder for him.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

No it just shows how the NFL values present picks over future picks. If the Jets took the Cowboys 2020 1st and third and traded for future picks with them and got anything close to fair value they would have accumulated more than double the value of the Seahawks trade. Although, I agree with you that long term a team is better off by trading back future years or taking later year draft picks then less this year. I believe Baltimore and NE are both proponents of this philosophy. But o many FOs have the job security to act that rational and think long term. One of the most refreshing things I have seen in Douglas was his ability to calmly move around and manipulate the draft last year. It is the first time I have seen a Jet FO do so and it really makes me excited about this years draft.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So do we start Wilson asap? have trial by fire or have him sit a season with a Vet starting in 2021??

Mahomes Rogers Brady all sat and learned a bit...I know you've posted on "where is our Vet QB signing"...thoughts?

17. K'OB

I'd rather have 2 1st round talent players even if it is a late-round 1st, it just gives you so many options, like the #23 this season it can enable us to snatch somebody that we would seriously have no chance of snagging, even more so if the teams above go QB crazy, there could very well be a top 12 talent dropping down to us at #23.

Who wouldn't trade a right now third for that scenario the following season, it just seems a no brainer to me tbh, you can never have enough first-round picks, it isn't like they will never be useful lol

cval likes this.
  18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You need to add "Third overall pick" the the We Got side. Not sure how you forgot that.

19. K'OB

Probably because that is Sam who has now left.

I did think about posting what you said as well tbh lol

20. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

JD has proven he is patient & calculated in trades.....Mac would have given back a 3rd.....

Jets79 likes this.