Grade Darnold Trade for Jets (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 5, 2021.

?

How would you grade the Jets Darnold Trade

1. A

44.7%
  2. B

36.6%
  3. C

9.9%
  4. Below C

8.7%
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean by that barometer, Christian Ponder, Bortles, Bradford, Winston, Mariota, Trubisky, etc. were in a similar spot too.

dawinner127, Poeman, JetBlue and 2 others like this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Another difference is rookie contracts were 6 years long when Aikman played.

stinkyB likes this.
  3. The return is fine.

The optics are an all too familiar stench of failure..

But hey lets not beat a dead horse. Nothing to see here.Heres a shiny new QB prospect w one good year at a G5 school!

Worst offseason since LAST offseason

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Kurt, let's make a deal: When Zach Wilson lights up the NFL and the Jets start winning, I want you to enjoy it. Don't feel bad because you were totally against it the whole off-season.

And on the other hand: if he somehow flops, take solace in your QB prospect and overall football knowledge and then maybe we can pick a new team to cheer for. :)

barfolomew likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If JD had gotten conditional draft pick(s) based on Sam's performance I think we woulda gotten more in the end. But gotta take what he could get now and move on.

I'm glad JD got 2022 picks, when he'll have a lot more info on the players he drafts. Also, it spreads out our rebuild. We won't have 15 players needing a new contract at the same time.

Overall, good job.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. I didn't really think that JD would ever be so foolish as to roll with Sam, but stranger things have happened. It's great news for me, but maybe not for posters here on this site! LOL You're all stuck with me now.

7. Im just about there my friend..just about there.
    Said i wouldnt ruin other people’s joy & i meant it.

But i dont relate to the joy.This time around i dont understand the draft consensus at ALL.I really couldnt disagree more.And for this to be a start of a new era?

0/10 on the excitement meter.I dont care about being right but i also would like to be alittle excited about the direction considering actual wins are out of the question.JD & what fans want have lost me...

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Lousy coaching has nothing to do with his lousy footwork, inability to see the field, TOs, and lousy decision making. We all know not to take sacks, run out of bounds instead of throwing the ball away, and not to throw into double and triple coverage. Sam should have known that since high school, or at least college. The excuse making for Sam is ridiculous and dumb.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  9. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Forget about drafting a QB with a 2nd draft pick which will obviously going to happen but focus on the picks following the 2nd pick this year and next year with the first 3 rounds is phenomenal and can build with OL, TE and RB. Think back when we drafted Darnold. The Jets had no follow up to build around Darnold losing out with THREE 2nd round picks. They tried with 3rd round picks but didn’t get any good returns of investments. Now of the 7 picks this year and next year within the first 3 rounds the Jets could nab at least 3 or maybe 4 high end Offensive players around the #2 pick! Huge difference

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Excuses? Do you remember who the coach was? Start there. How did the other QB's look when Sam wasn't playing. The Jets had trash talent also...trash. Actually, that might be an insult to trash. Twenty to thirty years of bad drafting will get you to this point we are at.

11. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Yeah Gase sucks. We all know that. I am not blaming Darnol but he is supposed to be a better QB than he is now especially giving up 3 2nd picks. It just didn’t work out. Moving on we get the a better opportunity and extra picks to build around with the next QB which is fortunately in better predicament with 6 picks after the #2 pick within 3 RDS in 21 and 22. And the next QB will be better running QB that we lack the last few decades.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am excited, but your concern does worry me. You know your stuff. I just hope Joe Douglas does too. You make a great point too on starting a new era. You want to start off on the right foot. If they get the QB wrong, it will be tough.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Actually, old washed up Flacco coming off injury looked better than Sam last year...

Jets81, barfolomew and REVISion like this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I gave it a "C" not because the value doesn't seem to be okay, but for creating another problem that will probably cost more to deal with now. We all know what Darnold has been but we have no idea what the draftee will be like in week one, week seven or week seventeen. We also don't know if the new regime would have enabled Darnold to untap that value that many in the league believe he may still have. Darnold was a cheap stopgap who could have kept the boat in the channel while it was being discovered what the new guy could do. Now, the Jets have to find a new guy to be the old guy and the pickings are slim and probably more expensive than Darnold.

papapump and barfolomew like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's the thing with Darnold, the cheap stop gaps, even like Smith and Mullens started for multiple games and outperformed Sam last year. So, yeah, he could have been a stopgap, but we don't even know if he would be better Smith and Mullens, who I doubt will cost more than 4 mil we saved on Darnold, and they are actually more familiar with West Coast Offense. We got real value in return here, something I admittedly didn't expect, and there are QBs on FA market who started and played better than Sam, and are more familiar with our offense. This cannot be a C.

The only thing we lose is ability to evaluate him one more time, and if he plays great, franchise tag him next year, but I think we were more than appropriately compensated for that.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I ascribe almost no value to a sixth rounder, better guys show up every year the day after the draft ends. Fourth rounders don't thrill me and even the second rounder must be discounted heavily because it will take another year to be realized. You call it "real value" and I shrug - I'll probably like it better in 2022 when the second rounder is palpable. The fact that I wasn't looking for the Jets to excite on the field or in the standings this year makes me not care too much about the QB but I can definitely see more expense and less stability without Darnold. I would also hate to see this become a reason to force a new guy onto the field before he is ready.

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you right now. I respect you as a poster and I am glad I'm not the only one feeling the things I am right now.

I feel like I'm crazy and missing something major... I just don't think I am.

Not a fan of how uneasy I feel about things right now.

papapump and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  18. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Whatever you think of the trade we already started next season 0-1 cause there's no way we're beating Carolina, the football gods love sticking it to us.

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Excuses, excuses, excuses, glad he's gone....new era in Jets Football, a competent GM, new Coach, new rookie QB, new identity

Leicester Jet, Borat and Brook! like this.
  20. Viiiiilma51

Viiiiilma51 Member

First time posting in over 15 years:

Sam Darnold has the lowest QBR in all the NFL for any QB with a minimum number of starts since he entered the league.

Now, it’s easy to say, “Sure, but he had an awful offensive line and few weapons.”

While both true, he also has the lowest QBR in the entire NFL since 2018 “from a clean pocket.” His “clean pocket QBR” since he entered the NFL is 58. That is atrocious! That means that even when his offensive line did not fail him, and he had clean passing lanes, he was still the worst starting QB in the NFL since 2018.

Enough excuses for him. He failed and we got a return for him. Good luck to him! I wish him success. He seems like a good kid. But a good QB he was not.