Jets should sign Alex Smith asap (RETIRED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Unexciting football would be a massive improvement from last season lol

stinkyB likes this.
  2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

LOL it’s true but I’d rather sink or swim with an unknown and possibly be completely awful than slightly better with the most boring/ limited QB in the league

3. BacktoQueens

If Morgan or Wilson were better options they’d have no problem beating out what you refer to as “checkdown ball” no?
    Why is everyone afraid of making QBs earn the starting spot?

4. King Koopa

He might look OK in practice and a rookie coach might go with the vet because that’s what they do. Add a pass rush in real action and it gets real ugly real quick. Go watch the Redskins games from last year...he’s toast

5. BacktoQueens

So we are gonna draft a guy #2 overall, and we traded up in the 4th for Morgan.....but you aren’t confident that either guy could beat out someone you consider toast?

I’m not confident either QB should start week 1 unless they are ready.
    A guy like Smith they could learn a lot from whether he initially starts or provides support as a backup.
    They need that.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Nah I mean it's the right thing to do. Even if it's a fraudulent quarterback competition, the right move is to bring someone in, whether it's Smith or one of the other shmoes. I just can't stand watching him throw two three yard passes after a first down run for three and a punt.

In some ways I think it'll stunt the growth of the rest of the offense as far as development goes.

Maybe JD feels good about Morgan flinging the ball around or is going to sink or swim the rookie.

King Koopa and BacktoQueens like this.
  7. King Koopa

I would just go with Mullins then. I’m not against what you’re saying, I’m just specifically against Smith (unless he was a 3rd stringer specifically to mentor them, not to actually play).

Im confident that both players would be better options than Smith, but not as confident that the coaching staff wouldn’t just go the “safe” route, because NFL teams are not nearly aggressive or free thinking enough.

Washington got rid of him because he stinks. He’s a great comeback story but he shouldn’t be playing anymore.

8. BacktoQueens

I can’t see JD being too confident in Morgan when they didn’t even consider starting him last year. Would be amazing if he took a massive step forward of course.

I think he goes sink or swim on the rookie.
    That to me has more potential to stunt the rest of the offense, and maybe the rookie himself if not ready.

We’ve been down this road before. I hope they do a MUCH better job at developing these young QBs this time.
    It starts with a guy like McCown or Smith in your corner (and not a Flacco).

9. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I hope we find a back up like Josh was. Someone who is known to be a film rat.

A guy that will eat film for 12 hours a day and push the new kid who ever it is. Someone who helps put the work in.

If it's Alex Smith or Jeff driskal. It's almost impossible to know who that person would be if your not in the business.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good Lord with the start the rookie now desires “ to see what we have” Are we ever going to learn from our mistakes of the past that you don’t start a rookie QB until he has a chance to develop properly under the OC schemes and be ready for NFL play. Haven’t we fucked up enough candidates already? I will take a senior game manager that is uninspiring over destroying a rookie candidate out of the gate before he is ready.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

FWIW remember mahomes sat behind alex smith for a season and people are calling wilson mormon mahomes ;)

LAJet likes this.
  12. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I fully co-sign this. Alex would be a perfect guy to pair with a rookie

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Alex smith isn't a very talented QB. the reaosn he's had such a good career and was drafted over aaron rodgers was because his intangibles are perfect. he's loved and respected by every player and executive in the NFL. he's a hard worker, film buff, perfect teammate, a leader, very team 1st. just exactly the type of people you want in your locker room. I mean he could have retired at 35 after almost losing his leg but instead busted his ass for 2 years to play football again for an at best average team who had drafted his replacement. nobody can question alex smith's work ethic.

NCJetsfan, Pepsiguy5 and RochesterJet like this.
  14. King Koopa

There’s no set way to go about it...Plenty of QBs end up succeeding after playing as rookies, and some that are benched early on never make it.

Darnold was doomed because we decided to hire a terrible coach, and gave him horrible protection with no weapons. Who even knows if he’s good enough anyway.

We now have a competent coaching staff with a solid amount of weapons and a better oline. We still need to upgrade the guard and rb positions, and I would expect that we do in the draft coming up.

I’m not saying we have to start the rookie right out of the gate, but it shouldn’t be off the table.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. ramjets29

ramjets29 Member

Pickings are slim out there: Alex Smith, Nick Mullens, Blake Bortles, Brian Hoyer, Blain Gabbert, etc. (link attached). Is there anyone out there we can trade for or expected to be cut beside Bridgewater? Mariota agreed to a pay cut so he's out. Considering how important the back-up QB position is, especially with a rookie QB expected to be our savior, this might be our highest priority right now. Obviously Sam didn't work out but having McCown back him up year 1 was monumental. After today's trade we have ~$24.8mm in cap space. Assume ~$12mm held for our rookie class. Doesn't leave much but JD needs to get this right.

16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

We need someone other than Alex Smith. If he were actually healthy, he would be a fantastic option, but if we're looking at going the route of having a veteran stopgap start while Wilson gets ready on the bench, then it can't be someone who has that kind of physical limitations, which could cause the plan to fall apart at a moment's notice.

17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I love this board.
    Alex Smith was Comeback player of the year. He helped a complete dog shit team make it to the playoffs, and has led several squads into the playoffs.
    Started 6 games and had a 5-1 record with a team who was 2-8 otherwise.
    He completed 67% of his passes and really only had 1 truly bad game against San Fran.

No one wants to sign Alex Smith for the future, but to bring competition to the position and to have an experienced veteran who has played with winners and know how to win is worth more than signing a Mullens or Gabbard.

Yet people here think signing him would be a bad idea, probably the same people who were jizzing over Flacco’s horrible performances last year.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Nick Mullens is where I would turn my head too. Familiar with the system and a vet presence.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No, it shouldn't be off the table, but surely you agree we need to go after a solid vet to add to the squad to insure we have a starter if the rookie needs help.

ColoradoContrails and King Koopa like this.
  20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I dont think anyone is against Alex Smith the player. He physically still could be at risk with one bad hit. I'd bring him in as backup but he'd basically be a mentor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.