Grade Darnold Trade for Jets (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 5, 2021.

?

How would you grade the Jets Darnold Trade

1. A

44.7%
  2. B

36.6%
  3. C

9.9%
  4. Below C

8.7%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Now that the trade is in the books, how would you grade this trade?

Jets get below picks

2021 6th Rounder
    2022 2nd Rounder
    2022 4th Rounder

To me, this is above what I was expecting. I give this A to be honest.

Jojo, Frenbar, azhar80 and 4 others like this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Not only did he get a 2nd when the hysterics were claiming he blew the trade market for Sam, he got two additional picks to boot. If that ain’t an A I don’t know what the grade scale is we are talking about. Maybe he could have gotten hand jobs thrown in for season ticket holders and NFL package subscribers, but that’s probably asking too much.

3. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

He got a 2nd rounder for him. A friggin' second. We have 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds next year. Honestly...it's fucking genius. Anyone who wants to put JD on the clock for this needs to lighten up. Six high round picks next year?? That's unbelievable!

#3 Linebacker712, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I give it a solid B...because Sam could turn out great and we get the worse performing QB. Value wise, I guess there just wasn't enough teams to get a bidding war of any kind going

azhar80 and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

My grade is based on my personal opinion of Darnold's viability as an NFL QB, and at this point in time I don't believe he's a quality starter in the league, and I don't believe he ever will be based on his three years here. Because of that I can't grade this anything other than an A - this is a scenario where someone rings my doorbell on garbage night and asks to buy everything I have out on the curb.

I may have unknowingly thrown out something valuable, but at this point in time whether the stranger gave me $20 or $500 for something I considered refuse doesn't change the fact that it's an "A" situation.

I fully recognize that I could be completely wrong about Darnold's future, and that would introduce a whole bunch of nuance to the grading of the return.

K'OB, fdcnyc, Sec124DieHard and 3 others like this.
  6. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

B+

Feel like we could have gotten a 22 conditional first earlier in the off season maybe. We might have if it wasn't for Watson taking the news cycle for 8 weeks.

Overall I couldn't see a team paying more than what we got for him. I for one am happy with where we are set up to be.

One thing is for sure. JD can trade.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Cman68, dmw, boozer32 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

boozer32 likes this.
  8. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I gave it a B. I would have given it an A if the second round pick were this year. Ultimately, a very good trade based on Sam's performance.

Brook! and hobgoblin like this.
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Sad to see Sam go because I don't think it was all his fault, but this trade is very, very solid. That 2nd round pick next year can easily be top 45. Good move by JD

azhar80, stinkyB, Losmeister and 4 others like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We could have easily gone empty handed because the Darnold interest was practically nil...solid B for Mr JD

REVISion, barfolomew and boozer32 like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If that isn't an "A" pick there is no such thing. This after getting a haul for disgruntled Adams. Douglas knows what he's doing.

12. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

I would have preferred a 2nd this year to give Wilson/Fields a little extra help but we do already have 10 picks this year. I gave it a B but I'm certainly not disappointed.

REVISion and barfolomew like this.
  13. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Potentially a high 2nd round pick too. A in my book!

rickjet and barfolomew like this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'll give it a B+
    It's not a great trade and not a bad trade. It's slightly above what I think his market value was. A 6th this year and remember that the value assigned future picks is a round lower in value so the 2 and 4 next year are essentially a 3 and 5 this year value wise. A good trade for both sides....

15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

A.

Sam is one of the worst starting QBs in the league and he managed to get a 2nd, a 4th, and a 6th for the guy with only one year left on his contract.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

overall good job. I gave him an A. the market wasn't hot. it was best for both sides to move on. it sets us up good too. while we only add a 6th this year, we still have 2 1sts, a 2nd, and 2 3rds plus 5 day 3 picks. then next year we'll have 2 1sts, 2 2nds, a 3rd plus 6 day 3 picks. you like to think of anything 3rd or better as a starter so we are set up to land 10 new starters including a QB in the next 2 drafts. that's almost half a team of starters.

barfolomew likes this.
  17. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I gave it a B. Lots of picks, now let’s see some major improvement from last years draft. If the
    picks suck, well you know.

barfolomew likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'll go B+. It's honestly an A but I only ding it because we don't have a player on the roster with any snaps. He held out for the value and it makes perfect sense to do so. If he signed a veteran it would've tipped his hand.

I just wish we had completed the trade in time to get a more competent backup than what's on the roster. But it's trending more and more towards the #2 overall pick starting.

stinkyB, REVISion, NYJFOREVER and 2 others like this.
  19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Gotta go A. Getting a 2nd, a 4th and a 6th for Sam at this point is a nice haul. I probably would have been happy if they just got a second-rounder for him. The two additional pics are gravy.

NYJetsO12, barfolomew and Brook! like this.
  20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Only three vet QBs I could see them consider bringing in are Alex Smith, Hoyer, or Nick Mullens. Mullens wouldn't be terrible considering the system will be similar to what he ran in SF.