Niners now have the 3rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Kleckobeast, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If you want to blame Jimmy for anything is not being able to stay healthy. Guy has played one full season, I can definitely see Niners not wanting to stake their future on an injury prone QB.

2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

there is also THAT. good point.

he DID come up short in the SB. i mean, was he HORRIBLE? no. but he did nothing in crunch time. winning 20-10 he went 3 of 11 down the stretch. thats poor.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Chiefs challenged the the niners to beat them through the air. LeFleur's running game is pretty easy to shut down when you key on it because everyone knows what lanes they want. Its not a smash mouth attack. This forces them to run end arounds and Jet sweeps. Beyond Kittle their WR core was pretty average so it wasn't that hard to put Jimmy G in a tough spot. At the end of the day it came down to the Niners offense wasn't good enough all around to put the game away. That is the sacrifice that system makes for their defense. And, it was the defense that actually lost the game.

4. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

As much as I like the wisdom of your stance of "string things along with your cards hidden," I think it may underestimate the NFL teams' grapevine/analysis/possible espionage. For example, even a dunce like Maccagnan, knew that the Giants would be taking Barkley at pick 2, and so that either Mayfield or Darnold will be available at pick 3. In retrospect, we can certainly question the NFL exectutives' overall judgment of draft talent (e.g., the judgment that led to the picking of Rosen at pick 10 and Jackson at pick 32). But this is not to say that they have been unable to guess correctly about other teams' fairly obvious intentions (e.g., that the Jets could not rely upon Sam being redeemed as a franchise quarterback after the fairly awful body of work he put up in 2020 and that the 2021 draft was replete with quarterbacks widely considered to have franchise quarterback potential).

5. 757-Niner

757-Niner Member

I wouldn't even say its 'win now' mode as much as it's 'set yourself up for flexibility down the road, while you also have a competitive roster now mode'.

In a league with a hard cap, paying upper echelon QBs makes it difficult to retain talent. Even harder than that is paying middle of the pack QBs significant money but not getting the benefits of upper echelon play. This move allows us to walk away from Jimmy's 25 mil a year cap hit, get better at the position and be able to replenish some holes that we'll have defensively going forward. We did this for a QB and roster flexibility.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. 757-Niner

757-Niner Member

I wouldn't put the entirety of the SB loss on his shoulders. The defense inexplicably shat the bed also. But he had a chance to be the hero and to change the narrative on him forever...and he overthrew it. Literally & figuratively.

Jimmy is very meh. You can with him but you won't win because of him. If that's not the NFL definition of 'meh', I don't know what is. I really thought we struck gold in 2017. But its like his ACL injury messed with him mentally. How he sees the field, the way he processes information on the fly now is like he's timid and gun shy.

NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  7. 757-Niner

757-Niner Member

We were running the ball at a fairly good clip. My problem is I felt we abandon the run too often. Shanny has this thing were he can get a little too 'cute' with the playcalls in pressure situations. I thought there was alot of that in the 4th quarter of that SB. The Chiefs never shut down the running game. We pretty much shut it down for them and try to catch them w/play-action one time too many times for my taste.

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Peter King today said he thinks the Niners will take Mac Jones. I have read that the Panthers really want Jones too.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not surprised. remember when I said we should trade down for more picks and take jones. that he's better then people give him credit for and has a low chance of being a bust and perfect for the shannahan offense?

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Man, the Fields stans on here are going to be apoplectic if Fields starts to fall in the draft. It's looking more and more likely by the day. Surely it's all the GM's that must be out of touch, right? It couldn't possibly be that Fields has real concerns, right?

JetsFan and Noam like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think he falls to carolina at this point. my best guess for QBs will be

1) tlaw
    2) wilson
    3) Jones
    8) fields (carolina)
    9) Lance (den) unless denver wants to take a flyer on sam for a conditional 2022 pick (3rd that jumps to a 2nd based on performance) and a 2021 5th rounder in which case lance will fall to 15 (pats), 19 (WFT) or 20 (Chi) or 21 (indy)

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

On that note PFT reports that Shanahan and Lynch have decided not to attend Fields workout on Tuesday so they can go see Mac Jones throw.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Ooh boy are you going to get some hate message! LOL

Noam and REVISion like this.
  14. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I really don't know much about college QBs so I genuinely don't know but does fields really have that many more question marks than Wilson or Mac Jones (!!!)??
    I didn't closely follow any of their careers but the games I saw the recap videos I've watched on YouTube can't tell you why everyone is suddenly pretending he's so much worse than everyone else

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's definitely not easy to shut down lol. The Chiefs did expose Garoppolo because he sucks and can't throw the ball down field though.

Losmeister likes this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm just messing with the Fields people. He's a really good prospect. Won't be unhappy if we take him even though I prefer Wilson.

Losmeister and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  17. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

Lolol. So you’re mad JD showed his cards unless he didn’t really?

The 49ers offer was NOT enough to get to #2. The Eagles only wanted to move if they can get Wilson. Wilson is going #2. By “showing his cards” he’s ensuring any deal offered will be impressive.

Eagles trade Wentz and 2022 1st to move from 6 to 2. Does that sound like too much to pay for #2?

Jets get a 2021 3rd (Ind), 2 2022 1sts (Phi & Mia) and a 2022 conditional 1st (Ind). Does that sound like enough to go from 2 to 12?

The Jets are either picking #2 or #12.

18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

i dont like to use catch phrases... so i'll just say

but if the season ended after the semi when he outplayed the consensus#1 .....

19. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I did see that game and I'll give you that! Everyone was clamoring for Fields after that game