Niners now have the 3rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Kleckobeast, Mar 26, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I like your attitude. You guys are going win now, so its this year or next year, might as well go for it. My concern would be if the pick is someone like Mac Jones then Lynch could have just traded with the Eagles for way cheaper. Maybe even if the pick is Lance? Anyhow good luck with whoever it is.

757-Niner and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its not that staying put that is the problem. Its letting other teams know we are staying put that is the problem. That made both the dolphins and the eagles move. Apparently both were interested in the second pick. You have to string things along with your cards hidden and let them play out. For example, as time went by the eagles might have moved on another offer, or refused to move if there was uncertainty on how things were going to play out.

They did more then secure future draft picks for Miami, they restored their draft this season. They are going to get the same player they would have gotten with the third pick.

The only caveat for this is the media is wrong about what they are posting, or JD has another plan this draft that we aren't aware of yet. Otherwise it was a dumb move to show our cards.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For swapping picks, Miami got 2 firsts and a 2nd. The 2 firsts are next year and the year after (2023). JD got a better deal trading Jamal. You'd really trade down 9 spots for less than we got for Adams???

'Skins gave up 3 firsts and 3 seconds to trade up 3 spots for RG3. Seems like JD could get at least that for trading down 'some', and STILL get one of the QBs.

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I didn’t think of it that way....good point. In my scenario the Jets QB situation was already settled however. So I was thinking JD trading down getting all those extra future picks and still landing a blue chip OL whether it would be Sowell or maybe even Slater.

But yeah the Jets did get more value for Adams....

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Swapping picks isn't the same as a trade because you still get the pick you swapped for, so its more then we got for Adams. The second pick is worth considerably more then the 3rd so I'd want more then what Miami got. The question is was the niner trade part of a larger plan for Miami all along?

I think Miami set up both trades at the same time. When you consider they restored their original pick then moving from 3 to 6 is meaningless. Here is what their move turned out to be in the end. They swapped a 4th this season for a 5th this season, 3rd next season, and a 1st in 2023. That is frigging amazing.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

So bottom line, for dropping from 3 to 6 Miami got a 2022 3rd and a 2023 1st? And some of us think JD shoulda taken THAT offer???? Wow.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Your right that wouldn't be a good idea. But second is not the third and more importantly, we cant get the same player at 6 that we can get at 2, so it would be silly.

If we wanted a skill position I'd have taken Phily's 2nd and 3rd this year and their 1st next year in a heartbeat. We could have gotten a super good play maker (Pitts, Smith, Chase, Waddle - even Surtain or Parsons) plus another high 2nd, 3rd this draft, and then have 3 firsts next year. That would have been a cherry year 1 of the rebuild. IMO we blew it. Next year should have been the QB year.

But we are getting Patrick Mahomes.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Becton wouldn't move to RT. He has already said that.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With regards to the bold, spot on! Sadly some posters just don't get it. Good luck!

757-Niner likes this.
  10. Footballgod214

Eeeeya I don't think a rookie rolls in and 'tells' his HC where he's gonna play and where he ain't gonna play.

Becton will play where Saleh tells him to play.

ouchy and Ralebird like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. And this claim has been made here before with no support even when prompted. Googling also turns up nothing, not even anything resembling a question to Becton about it. Do not take this as any suggestion that I believe he should be moved; it's simply a tired red herring that needs to be put to bed.

12. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

If that's true why would SF not wait to see what JD decides before making a move? At 3 their getting whatever QB is left, at 2 they get their pick of whoever they want

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  13. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Just a couple of thoughts from my end on this one:

1) Rapoport has completely backtracked from his NFL Network report, during Wilson's pro day, that Philly wanted to trade up to three only if they could get Wilson...then finding out they couldn't get Wilson because the Jets were drafting him, did the trade w/ Miami. His backtrack said that Philly really liked Wilson but had decided it's in their best interest to trade back for future picks, nothing related to the Jets drafting Wilson. Big backtrack although I'm not really sure it tells us anything we didn't already know because....

2) The 49ers trading up to #3 w/out even talking to the Jets about #2 tells us everything. With all of the 49er connections, same offensive system, same idea of what type of QB works best in that system et. al....That screams that they and the rest of the NFL knows the #2 pick is not for sale...I guess you never say never, but it definitely seems that unless you'd make a trade that would get you fired, and why would anyone do that, you're not getting the Jets #2 pick...because...spoiler alert

3) They're taking a QB at #2...You don't stay at #2 and take a non QB. There's no draft prospect in this draft that has talent which is worth more than the Jets could recoup in a heist of draft picks they could get if they traded down with some QB needed team. There just isn't...Even if you loved this or that player, no non-QB has the value this pick does to a team that needs a QB. JD is a smart guy, the NFL is run by smart people, he'll take a QB at #2.

4) Man is it too bad too as you have the perfect storm of an opportunity for the Jets if they had conviction in Darnold...The Bears...Coach and GM both on the hot seat, they know if they don't get a possible franchise QB the team will be average to below average and they'll both be gone. You could own their drafts for the next decade (some sarcasm here) by fleecing these desperate guys. If there was a team to trade with it would be them...but then again, if the Jets feel they need a QB, you need to strike when you have the #2 pick assuming they love one of these QB prospects...

5) Although, if the Jets were going to consider trading the pick you wouldn't/shouldn't do trade it until draft night just in case the Jags did something stupid and passed on Lawerence. Since the Jags are stupid, I'm not a Meyer fan and think the owner is terrible, you never know...But realistically, seems 100% that the Jags are taking Lawrence especially with Meyer not being at Wilson's pro day etc...just a thought though

6) Darnold...yikes...Although you can hypothetically keep him this coming here, in practice that has disaster written all over it. Whatever value he has will be maximized on draft night by some possibly desperate team that's looking for a younger guy to dream on while having missed on "their" guy in the draft. I don't know what his value is, but it will peak on draft night and will go down hill from there. In the "win now" NFL, someone will give the Jets maximum value in a 2022 pick while getting a 2021 player in Darnold. Let's go back to the given in that the Jets are taking a QB at #2...that would mean Darnold starts the season with every fan and every camera focused on every missed pass or, god forbid, interception being the daily topic of discussion. W/ the successor on the roster, can you imagine what week three might look like if fans are actually back in the stands by then. I don't see that as a situation that Darnold would thrive in at all and would put the kid in an even worse spot than the Jets have already put him in the past three years. Get what you can while you can, which will be maximized on draft night.

14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

just like 4 yrs ago

and the he showed his "value" for 3 yrs here.

a b/u qb

15. Losmeister

did you see how poorly he played as they blew the 4th q lead in the SB?

Jimmy is meh.

757-Niner likes this.
  16. Losmeister

why it couldnt it be an attitude like many here have- fields or wilson is good?

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I did see how he played, he also got the team there. Sometimes you have to give the defense( Chiefs) credit for doing their jobs as well.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That was under the scenario the Jets already had an established QB and JD simply trading down to acquire more picks - not the actual scenario. Just dreaming .....

19. Losmeister

HE GOT THEM THERE.

jajaja

The run game and D got them there...

757-Niner likes this.
  20. Losmeister

true. cant pencil in anybody.