Niners now have the 3rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Kleckobeast, Mar 26, 2021.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Oh, I thought you were mocking SamFan who thinks the same and had Sewel down to be back up Guard on his list a month or so back.

Oops.

I don't think so myself, a good player obviously but it causes problems with Becton and if one moves to the right then they will want paid the same as the LT which would be unsustainable alongside an FQB

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I see the top 10 a bit different

1. Lawrence
    2. Wilson
    3. Fields
    4. Pitts
    5. Sewell
    6. D. Smith
    7. Chase
    8. M Jones
    9. Parsons
    10. Slater

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

One thing that Fields and Wilson have in common is neither will become a top NFL FQB.

4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Very well could be. While I agree that we need a franchise QB, we need a solid QB, doesn’t have to be a Watson, a Rodgers, a Bree but it would be nice. I just don’t folks to presume that Wilson is going to be the next John Elway or Payton Manning or Mahomes. I don’t want to get too crazy selecting Wilson as the next phenomenon. Key is build a deep and successful draft.

Losmeister likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Something about there being no talks with the 49ers stinks to me.

When JD joined he said he would listen to all offers because listening doesn't cost anything. So why wouldn't he listen to the 49ers offer, maybe even do a "I'll get back to you" to keep our cards close? Somehow they got information on our plans that made them act and it turned out to really help the dolphins. If this could have been delayed even a couple of weeks a lot could have changed and the dolphins wouldn't have had a perfect situation line up for them. Why did we tip our hand so far away from the draft?

Something about this stinks and it blew up in our face. I don't care if JD and Saleh are friends with the 49ers when it helps our enemy. I'm not feeling good about how this draft is going so far with our FO. I know that might sound like heresy since we all hold hands and singing, "In JD we trust" like a folk song. To me this feels like a stumble that gave the phins power.

#125 ouchy, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  6. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

They don't have to necessarily be a top NFL FQB to succeed. That'd be just a bonus if they did. They don't need to be the best QB in the NFL or a Mahomes/Rodgers.

7. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

If JD trades back (Philly’s 3 1sts) and takes Sewell at 12, I have 0 problems with that.

An OL with Bechi, Sewell, Fant, McGovern would give ME time enough to throw the ball and YOU holes big enough to run through.

IMO the only bad move JD could make is trading out of 2 too cheap. (2 late 1st rds from SF- bleh).

In JD I trust

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd settle for above average and borderline top 10 production, but hope for more.

Losmeister likes this.
  9. K'OB

Again, what is it with this 2 late rounds bleh?

They are picking 12th or were, do you really think in one draft they are jumping up to late 20's early 30's.

I tell you what though, I'd love another draft pick in the 20's this year, the draft is stacked with needs, needs that you don't want to burn a #2 on.

I'd love Sewel but not for all the trouble it is bound to cause with Becton and certainly not @ #2

Take out the QB's (which we also need) and there is barely a guy in the top 25 that we don't need.

OL
    Penei Sewell, Rashawn Slater, Christian Darrisaw, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Teven Jenkins, Jalen Mayfield, Samuel Cosmi
    WR
    Ja'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Rashod Bateman, Kadarius Toney
    TE
    Kyle Pitts
    CB
    Patrick Surtain II, Caleb Farley, Jaycee Horn, Greg Newsome II
    LB/DE
    Micah Parsons, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
    EDGE
    Kwity Paye, Gregory Rousseau, Azeez Ojulari, Jaelan Phillips
    RB
    Najee Harris

Maybe we could remove the edge selections after our FA signings but that still leaves a lot of players that cover our needs, a few of them more than drafting another left tackle.

ouchy likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That would be the worst draft decision in Jets history, and this is the team that passed on Mahomes and Watson for a safety. And drafted Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp. And Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino.

Noam, NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  11. K'OB

Don't make me hate you.

Marino is ringless and that is all that matters

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This had better not be the case.

mrjet80 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Exactly! If JD does this he should be declared insane and committed to an insane asylum.

Having a HOF RT is no great shakes. That's not going to win you a SB.

14. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

Yea. I think the team who made it to the SB 2 years ago, was decimated by injuries last year, who has lost no key starters this year is likely to make it to at least the divisional round of the playoffs. With us holding the Seattle pick, I’m rooting for them.

I agree. I don’t think we need OT, WR, Edge... I’m not advocating for Sewell unlike the other poster, I’m simply saying I wouldn’t be mad at them drafting him after getting a major hall from a trade back.

At 12 (only after a massive haul) Sewell would be a steal but a stud CB or WILL fills our biggest needs.

Everyone knows we’re drafting Wilson bc Joe passed on the 49ers offer and reports say he loves him. From JD’s time here, he seems like the type of guy who bobs when everyone else thinks he’s going to weave.

K'OB likes this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I get the furor over the possibility of that draft pick, but no one other than the media and some fans have already put in a locker for Wilson at Jets drive.

Im just preparing you guys for it, you guys are acting like Wilson to Jets is a done deal.

Pags2112, ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

To tell you the truth I don’t think those reports are true. There’s a lot of ‘smoke but no fire’ reports floating around particularly this time of the year. Do you really think the Jets and the 49ers didn’t talk? They called and would of offered the same package - JD declined because he feels Wilson is the franchise QB to replace Darnold. If JD really thought Darnold is the Jets QB going forward he would of jumped all over it. That’s how it went down. Apparently both teams agreed to deny any trade talks for whatever reason.

As far as the Dolphins go they feel Tua is their future and if not they can use those extra picks to move up in the future. They are not exactly the model of drafting - they’ve made some strange picks over the years as well and I don’t personally think Tua is that good.

If Wilson turns out to be what most of these scouts are saying the Jets will be fine....

bicketybam likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I think a QB at #2 is a done deal. I think it will probably be Wilson, but it could also be Fields. I don't think it's Lance or Jones, because if JD liked them, he would have taken Philadelphia's or SF's trade down offer.

RedRoute1 likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily agree that this is what Douglas is going to do, but I do agree that it's possible, and that's why SF trade up to #3.

Some might say, "Well why didn't SF just trade for the #2 directly?" Because Douglas wasn't going to drop that far back and risk losing Sewell (or whomever he wants), and it's unlikely that Miami would agree to trade with Jets in a move up scenario (I.e. Going from #12 to # 3 as SF did). What Miami did by going back up to #6 could enable them to take Sewell if the Jets don't take him.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

They made this trade on Wilson’s pro day. Maybe they know we’re taking Fields or Lance and wanted to secure Wilson. Either way they know who we’re taking.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I get it we have to see things from green tinted glasses, but that is a monster jump for the Niners, from 12 to 3, I would be shocked if it’s for Fields or Sewell.

ColoradoContrails likes this.