Niners now have the 3rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Kleckobeast, Mar 26, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Again I’m not talking about reaching upside just upside in a vacuum. None of this is quantitative. Like everything else we talk about here it’s opinion. You eluded that Fields had more upside than Wilson; so was asking if those aforementioned QBs had the most upside in their respective classes. If you rather not share, it’s all good.

Leaf had a ton of upside; hence why he was the 2nd overall pick. Too bad he was a head case. Despite the hype Manziel was only the 22nd pick so the league didn’t think his upside was all that high.

2. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Please no Fields.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, what I was saying about Fields, compared to Wilson, is that I think physically he's better - stronger, faster, seems more sturdy (although not necessarily a stronger arm) - so if he can demonstrate that he CAN read defenses better/faster than what he's shown, if he can show that his accuracy holds up under pressure, then he might well prove to be the better QB. BUT...he hasn't yet shown these things, so as of now it's unrealized potential. Wilson has shown these things, so it's not potential its actual performance. Hence, Fields has more room to grow.

NCJetsfan, Noam and ZachMFWilson like this.
  4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I actually think Fields is now becoming underrated and is going to be a steal for the Falcons or maybe even Panthers or Broncos. That being said, I’m taking Wilson every time.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

There is talk that they wanna trade from 3 to 2 with the jets but how much that would cost them they have a 2nd round pick if we donnt want a qb

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If we didn't want a QB then we would be sitting @12 with two extra firsts and a 2nd and 2 thirds or whatever the extra the Dolphins got from the deal.

We are not trading from 2 to 3 for a 2nd rounder.

imo of course :)

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

What would be the logical reason behind not engaging the Jets but trading up to 3, then after spending all those picks to move up they spend even more picks to move up one spot with the team they reportedly never bothered calling about the pick they really wanted?

8. RubenDias

i dont belive they did not call the jets i think jd refused their offer to go to 12

Jets79 and Red Menace like this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe the same, JD probably told him Jets were not dropping that far down, and if they were going to move that far down, it was going to take more capital, 10 spots is a big drop for any team who is looking for a FQB.

10. RubenDias

Also I really believe san fran is in love with zach wilson not fields or lance

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind the Eagles move. I think the Eagles move gives you all the answers you need as to what we are doing at #2.

Howie Roseman and Joe Douglas are friends. They know exactly how each other operates. Reports are coming out that the Eagles have been trying to trade up for Zach Wilson for weeks. I can guarantee you Howie Roseman called Douglas and asked him if he would swap. When Douglas declined, Roseman likely told Douglas that they are looking to trade with Miami to #3 to take Zach Wilson. The only reason why Philadelphia traded back to #12 is if they knew Douglas was not budging and was for sure taking Wilson.

We're drafting Zach Wilson. I would put a lot of money on that bet.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  12. RubenDias

To be honest i dont mind if he is the pick i just hope he doesnt bust or his throwing shoulder is done in 2 years

13. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

There was a report that the draft could change and could sway the Jets to trade down to still get Jones at 10-23 picks: if NE would make a trade with 49ers to get Garoppolo . I don’t see it. I think all 5 QBs will be drafted in the first 9 at worst case: Assuming TL, Wilson, Fields and Lance goes to the first for picks and that leave Jones if not picked , either drafted by the Bears at 8 or Broncos at 9.

Thus if JD thinks he likes Lance or Jones better and want to trade down then worst case he ll have to make a trade with the Bears to land a QB. That said the NE trade really has no impact on the 5 QBs in the first 10 picks. Am I over looking this?

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

If his throwing shoulder were done it would be done by now. He is 2 years post surgery. If his shoulder had issues, that would have shown itself already.

It also depends on the percentage of tear he had. Keep in mind that labrum repair has a 90-95% recovery. In fact, my surgeon told me that majority of his athletes never see another issue in the same shoulder again. It's actually the opposite. Many times athletes return with a similar injury in the other arm because they over compensate for the surgically repaired arm when lifting weights.

Turns out he was right. I had surgery on my right arm and for months I have been dealing with pain in my left shoulder from weight lifting.

Losmeister likes this.
  15. Red Menace

I have seen reports that Mac Jones is on their radar, The pendulum for QBs is always extreme in the NFL, this looks like teams are overreacting to not drafting Mahomes and Watson in the previous drafts and going overboard trying not to miss out on the next great FQB.

Have the Niners soured on Jimmy that fast, he has two years left on the contract, the team was decimated by injuries, I don’t see a reason to panic but this looks like a panic move.

What if they pick Sewell? I know that’s a lot to give up for an OT but they need help on the oline. If he turns out to be the HOF player he is being talked up to be he might be worth it to them.

What if the opposite is true and JD told Niners he’s taking Sewell and Niners said ok, we will move up for Wilson.

16. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

2 1st round picks from the 49ers
    Aka
    2 Picks in the mid 20s to low 30s?

No thank you.

17. K'OB

?

18. Red Menace

Jets are taking Sewell, the reason Joe D did not trade out of the second spot is because he does not want to lose out on Sewell. Guy is projected to be a HOF offensive lineman, none of the other prospects have that label, not even Lawrence.

Joe is not going to pass on a potential HOF offensive lineman for any other QB not named Lawrence.

Footballgod214 and K'OB like this.
  19. K'OB

He'll play right guard as well though, bonus :rolleyes:

Red Menace likes this.
  20. Red Menace

No one knows what he’s going to do but everyone is saying and has the Jets taking Wilson.

You can mock me all you want, JD has never wavered from his and Saleh philosophy that you win games by controlling the LOS. It would not surprise me if they went Sewell, another skilled player at 23, 35 and guard in 3rd round.