Niners now have the 3rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Kleckobeast, Mar 26, 2021.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Can I punch your shoulder to make sure it doesn’t fall off?

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

"Wanna go get a massage?"

(Sorry had to do it)

REVISion likes this.
  3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

lol! I'm throwing out Ouchy's guess as unrealistic. I bet Joe already had the #3 and a Coke on the way to the facility a little bit earlier.

ouchy likes this.
  4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I was thinking more along the lines of "hey kid. you like drains that circle clockwise?" but Max is probably a lot closer to his real inner monologue.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

If we pick Fields over Wilson, what do you think the difference between Fields and Wilson is?

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll throw my 2 cents in:

It will be because of the ceiling that Fields might have. Physically, Fields is probably the best QB in the bunch, but he has some holes in his game. The question is: can these holes be filled? Specifically. Can he make his delivery more efficient and compact? Can he actually prove that he can go through reads quickly? Can he learn to rely more on his arm - and his receivers - than his legs (and I'm not saying that he's a "run first" QB, just that when things start to break down, eh resorts to running more than trying to move up in the pocket or trying to keep the pass option alive).

If he can do these things, he could well become a top 5 QB, so that's why, IMO, Fields would be taken over Wilson.

OTOH, I don't think that's going to happen. I think Wilson is the pick. While his ceiling may not be quite as high as Fields, he's already close to it, and that's pretty damn high. Aside from some concern about whether he can take the punishment at the NFL level, the only other question is: can he replicate (and eventually exceed) what he did in college against NFL talent? Of course that's a question every college QB has to answer.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!!

8. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

I said a long time ago there were 3 top QB's in this class.

1.Wilson
    2.Lawrence
    3.Lance

All 3 are close to each other and their fate depends on who takes them.

I think of Fields and Jones as lesser tier prospects. I know Fields will go high but I have a 2nd round grade on him as well as Mac Jones.

9. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the clarification.

I think it would likely be 3 things: One, Fields is a bigger, stronger guy, and better able to take punishment perhaps than Wilson. So it would be concern over Wilson's slighter build, his ability to take punishment in the NFL, and perhaps already having had surgery on his throwing shoulder (labrum); Two, perhaps LaFleur and Saleh would like the added dimension of Fields being able to run the ball. That would give the opposing Ds something else to worry about/account for, and could be a real weapon for our offense. Three, and most importantly, ceiling. Because Fields is bigger, stronger, more athletic, and played against tougher competition, yet still has some significant flaws in his game, his ceiling is probably considered higher than Wilson's. Wilson may have already reached his ceiling, or may not have a lot higher he can go. If Fields can prove that he can read Ds, see the whole field, fix his mechanics (long/slow windup and throwing motion), improve his accuracy on short passes, quickly go through his progressions, make quick decisions, and get the ball out quickly, he can probably be better than Wilson. The problem is that he may never be able to do all of those things. Just one or two of those issues could haunt him his whole career and make him less effective. If he starts immediately, it could very well be harder for him to fix any of those issues, because he'll be focusing on getting ready to play each week rather than focusing on fixing his flaws. His CS won't have a lot of time to work with him on his flaws.

REVISion, Noam, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  10. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I just wanted to chime in and say that JD not taking SF's package may not mean as much as people are making it out to be.

Maybe JD is just staying true to his plan. The one thing that he's been open and honest about is that he intends to evaluate the QB's at their pro days before making any decisions.

It's possible that Joe didn't turn down SF as much as say "I'm not ready yet - I'll get back to you after I see Wilson/Fields up close. "

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

I can't remember a QB who was a slow processor in college who became a fast processor in the NFL.

12. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah this is my take away as well. Jets are in trouble unless we hit on some absolute super star draft picks. I just hope we don't get impatient with JD and Saleh after a couple years. Very likely they could turn this franchise around and we still struggle to catch up in this division.

ouchy likes this.
  13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

"Hey kid how would you like to wear#14".

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  14. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Yr 2 I think Fields will have the best stats of the top 3 qbs. Jacksonville is a joke. Lawrence is going to be wasted. Wilson will be in competition with Darnold, , The 49ers system is very qb friendly but is very hard to learn. Sam might be around for a few yrs . Jiminy G knows the system, making so much easier for Fields to learn what is going on. It is going to take Sam at least 1/2 a season to really learn the new system, mentoring a rookie qb.

15. NCJetsfan

I can't either. That's why I'm thinking it's not close between Wilson and Fields and that Wilson is the much safer pick.

Noam likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He will we’re #10.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I didn't say that rushing ability is what makes a QB the most NFL-ready, I said that it's the trait that takes the least time to develop. When Fields and Jones are trying to adjust to the tighter windows and more sophisticated defenses in the NFL, Fields can run for a first down if he can't figure out where to throw it. Jones can't do that, so he'll either throw it where he shouldn't and risk an interception, or he'll end up taking a sack. Now if Fields were completely unprepared for the NFL, that would be a different story, but he's a good quarterback even without the rushing ability.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's interesting, I think it's the other way around: Wilson has the higher ceiling and the higher bust potential. Fields is a good enough passer, and he's athletic enough that I can't see him being a total bust. But he doesn't have Wilson's special passing ability that makes people compare him to Mahomes and Rodgers. The problem with Wilson though is that he has bigger red flags than Fields (one-hit wonder, weak competition, durability) that could cause him to be a bust.

Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

2018 all over again. Might even 2017 as well. When picking that high don’t you want the QB w/ the best upside? It shouldn’t be about who is the best at the start of 2021 but who is the best going into their extension.

With regards to his delivery, I don’t think he needs to change anything. I used to be a guy that cared about mechanics but now that I’m wiser I’ve changed to only be concerned with it if it impacts accuracy. Fields is an accurate thrower. Not everyone is meant to have a super quick compact release. There are successful QBs w/ longer deliveries.

#79 legler82, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Pags2112 and ouchy like this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Niners will likely trade Jimmy G to recoup some draft picks, and just sign Bethard or Mullins again.

Sam's trade value is probably in free fall at this point.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.