Niners now have the 3rd Overall Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Kleckobeast, Mar 26, 2021.

1. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

He's going to be fine. Watch them add Waddle now.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I also think that the 49ers probably called us first, and since we have no deal, I think it means JD is planning to take a QB at 2, probably Wilson. It may be because JD wanted more than the Niners were willing to pay, but I think it’s more that JD wants to take a QB

I also think JD would be just fine keeping Sam AND drafting a QB. It may not maximize Darnold’s value, and it could mean Darnold walks for nothing next year, but there are ways to deal with that.

I think though that this move also means the price for the second pick just went up. Now everyone knows that the Niners are taking a QB at three. Before, Miami was a wildcard as they didn’t really need a QB. Now, all teams know that TL is going first (Meyer is not even at Wilson’s pro day apparently), and that the Niners traded up for a QB at three.
    So if any other team out there wants a QB, they need our pick at two. Shit, JD may even flip with the Niners if other teams come calling for two.

It looks like other QB needy teams have options (Bears have Dalton, SF is now at three, WFT has Fitz, etc), so the list of QB needy teams is not as high as before, but Carolina and to a lesser extent Atlanta (already reworked Ryan’s deal) are still probably looking.

man this is fun

I think more and more that we are drafting Wilson at two and may keep Darnold, giving us the option to sit Wilson if they feel he’s not ready.

3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

LOL Bickety...:D

bicketybam likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Is he joking? If anything, Fields is the most pro-ready QB in this class. Because athleticism and rushing ability are the traits that take the least time to develop, and Fields has those in spades.

ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  5. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

Personally I value the opinion of someone who grew up with a QB dad and became a starting QB with a history of eyeing QB talent over yours.

On a separate note, of all the QBs that Shanahan has played with, drafted, traded for or attempted to trade for (Matt Ryan, Jimmy G, Kirk Cousins) do they fit into the Fields mold or the Jones mold?

Pags2112, NCJetsfan and Poeman like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

If you want to debate whether Fields or Jones is more pro-ready on the issue itself, that's cool, but the whole point of TGG is for non-experts to share their opinions. That's a good point regarding the other QBs, but I just can't see the 49ers trading up to 3 for Jones. Unless they know something nobody else does, Jones will probably be there at 12.

ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  7. ramjets29

ramjets29 Member

This deal and the Philly news they were interested in trading up for Wilson but knew he wouldn't be there at 3, makes it very clear JD has already made his decision - we are taking Zach Wilson, no ifs, it's done. JD and Howie Roseman are very close. Roseman knows Wilson will be off the board at 3.

BUT what this deal also proved is how desirable the #2 pick is. MIA received 3 #1 picks (including #12 pick so still a premium selection) and a 3rd rounder. #2 is obviously worth more. Can you imagine if Watson wasn't going thru his legal troubles? I'm not even sure how much more (beyond the #2 pick) we would have to give up for him. The guy is 25 and is a superstar. This Wilson kid looks like the real deal but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the sure thing.

NCJetsfan and Snatch Catch like this.
  8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Jets always wanted a QB

NCJetsfan, Noam and REVISion like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

SF was most likely called regarding Sam so it makes sense if they didn't even call the Jets.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

How I see the top 10 right now

1.Lawrence
    2.Wilson
    3.Lance
    4.Sewell
    5.Chase
    6.Pitts
    7.Trade back
    8.Fields
    9.Trade back
    10.Farley

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Thats the best conclusion I can think of. Joe Douglas would make that move if he didn't want one of the QBs

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I've always interpreted pro-readiness to be more about mental traits than physical. I too, find it hard to imagine Jones going #3 but I could see it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. ZachMFWilson

I’m not here to debate. I’m not an expert, I simply value the opinions of some more than others.

I believe there is 0 chance Jones will be there at #12. If not the Panthers, the Pats trade up to get him.

Anyone who likes Tua should love Jones. The 49era see both the picks traded as picks in the mid/late 20s. It’s a small price for the QB of your choice (whoever that may be).

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

100% this - for us to turn down that offer or better it must be because the Jets plan to take a QB they have fallen in love with - probably Wilson (which I don't like but it is what it is)

Brook! likes this.
  16. ZachMFWilson

Go from 2 to 12 for 2 late 1sts? No thank you.

The price for #2 is now 3 2022 1st rounders form the Eagles. From their perspective, it’s basically Wentz and a 2022 1st to go from 6 to 2.

For us it’s 5 picks in the 1st in 2022. 12 of our 16 games are against teams with legit playoff hopes next year. If you think we’re a 7-9 team with Wilson and Darnold sucks then we’re still a 3/4 win team next year. Being able to get our FQB next year with 4 additional picks on the 1st is how you build thru the draft.

Either way, in JD I trust.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This is getting comical. Lolz

18. HomeoftheJets

I get what you're saying, but "pro-readiness" in scout-speak doesn't seem to correlate well with which quarterbacks are actually ready to play in the pros early on.

legler82 likes this.
  19. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

I just can't see Shanahan watching Fields late on his reads, or holding on to the ball and wanting any part of that.

I could see him liking Mac Jones because of CJ Beathard, a similar style player.

But going up to 3 has to be for the talent.

Lance + Shanahan is going to be a major problem for the NFL now.

JetBlue likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

how do you figure