Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!

2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

True. I think Mack's cap hit is like $30 mil a year starting next year or something ridiculous like that.

If the bears want the second pick, it's gonna cost tons of draft capital, starting with this year's 1 and 2 and next year's 1 and 2.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Good question. I don't know who is still availble in FA. It's possible that JD could still sign one before or after the draft. It's possible he could draft one. It's also possible he could sign one that is cut following TC. It's also possible that he could decide to roll with Guidry this year and give him a chance to show what he can do. It would be strange not to have a backup, however, if that is the case. It will be interesting to see what JD does.

4. NCJetsfan

Kalil Mack? Who is Pace? How will taking then trading Zach Wilson help us?

Could you be any more cryptic?

If the trade is for Kalil Mack and two future 1sts, hell no. We have done enough to the DL for one offseason, and he's already 30. If Saleh wants something like that, then to hell with him, he can go somewhere else. This is EXACTLY why I didn't want another GD defensive HC. All they fucking care about is their GD defense.

Doing that would be nothing short of insane, and not in a good way! Teams don't win with defense!

I'm not really worried, because JD wouldn't do something so stupid. He's not going to take on a huge salary for an older player and pass up the chance to add a new QB or at least a bunch of talent at multiple positions.

#1944 NCJetsfan, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Jets79 likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The difference between your proposal and his are two 2’s.

So is Mack hypothetically worth two 2’s?
    I don’t know, guess it depends how much of that cap hit stays with Chicago, and how much would transfer to new team.

6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Khalil Mack and Ryan Pace. It was on serious this morning

7. Rockinz

Rumours going to be ramped up the next month buckle up

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I have no idea either. You need a Masters degree to understand NFL contracts. Especially his because he already restructured. I would take Mack if the cap charge was reasonable (high teens).

But I said "starting with" those picks. I would want more picks with that.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Our own Brian Poole is still sitting out there. I have no idea why he isn't back yet especially with Williams going back to the Niners. He's one of the best slot corners in the league statistically.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hell yeah. That would be a steal. You would be getting the best defensive player in the game to move down a little. Plus you get another 1st out of the deal

Think about that:
    You would end up with essentially 3 1st round picks this year (2 1st, and top pick in the 2nd), Khalil Mack! and 3 1sts next year.

That's how you build a dynasty

#1950 BrowningNagle, Mar 26, 2021
    chandler, themorey and Rockinz like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

That is a horrible trade in terms of value. The bears would be giving us 1180 trade value points plus Mack for our pick worth 2600. Considering that the Bears only traded around 500 value points for Mack when he was a lot better and that no recent star has been traded for more than 600 trade value points this is a terrible trade in terms of value for the Jets. This would be about the right compensation for the 10th pick in the draft but it is only roughly half of what the 2nd pick is worth.

NCJetsfan, Lon Chaney, Jets79 and 4 others like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Which is why keeping Darnold makes more sense, unless they get a legit good offer for him.

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Careful around these parts with those kinds of thoughts :eek:

:D

ps I almost hope we keep him and he plays well to see what the piss boilers will react like

14. ColoradoContrails

So you want the Jets to take on a huge contract/cap hit for a guy they don't really need and who is on the cusp of his downhill years, stick with Darnold in the hope that he'll do MUCH better under Saleh, and then burn three first round draft picks next year if Darnold doesn't work out, hoping that A) there's a QB that would be better than anyone available this year without burning any draft picks, and B) that the team sitting at #1 or #2 would be willing to trade out of that spot?

Have I got that right?

Bad idea.

NCJetsfan, Rockinz and REVISion like this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Of course. you're forgetting that if Sam doesn't work out for the 4th season then we may not need to trade up for a top of the table pick ;)

#1955 K'OB, Mar 26, 2021
    Rockinz likes this.
  16. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Thanks for posting this, one of many I'm sure to come...Taking Mack's contract out of the equation, which is a big omission, here's the two fundamental problems with this rumored offer:

1) So essentially they're suggesting that to move from #20 to #2, while targeting a QB, would only cost an additional #1 and Mack...that's light by at minimum one additional #1 and possibly more

2) I'd suggest that if any motivation to trade out of the #2 pick is based on the possible bounty of draft choices in 2022 the Jets could use to trade up for a QB if Darnold fails, then you just take the QB right now when it only costs you one #1 pick...If you're debating this it means you don't have full conviction in Sam, if you don't have conviction in Sam and you currently own the #2 pick in the draft, you take the QB now. I just don't see any way around this one...conviction in Sam, trade down, less that 100% conviction in Sam take the QB while you have the chance

jixxjr, NCJetsfan, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Even if Darnold plays to form, the team will be much better because of the "Branch Rickey Rule" concerning Gase: "Addition by subtraction". And they've improved the talent already and we still have more pieces to add in the draft. There is no way they're going 2-14 again, and likely will be around 5-6 wins conservatively, putting them in the 10-20 range for drafting. The odds of grabbing a "can't miss" QB there are slim and none, thus requiring that they burn all this "draft capital" they presumably got for trading back this year.

I know you were just being cheeky, but I'm growing weary of all these claims that "We can just grab our QB next year".

NCJetsfan, REVISion and Noam like this.
  18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

No you make way too much sense man. Time to trade down for a receiver while and then risk it all on Darnold turning into a top QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  19. Rockinz

Really well said

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

WOW. Niners just traded up to 3

K'OB, ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.