Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Yeah, Perrine doesn't fit this scheme at all IMO, speed is a huge factor because its more outside runs and they need to be able to get around the corner fast. Adams looked the fastest on tape then Johnson but not sure what their 40 times were coming out.

Noam likes this.
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Looks like Johnson is slightly faster on paper but both run 4.4 atleast.

Noam likes this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Perine did nothing to impress last year....looked like a wasted third round pick...I think both Ty Jackson and Adams looked better

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

JD has been signing a lot of under achievers, probably hoping at least one of them lives up to their draft potential. All in all this has been a pretty safe free agency period, just like last season. No big risks, just play it safe.

It makes me wonder if he is going to be very safe in the draft as well?

Bellys Lies likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's not out of the question that one is taken this year given that we still don't have a #1 CB. There are a few day 2 options if Horn isn't available at 23. Tyson Campbell, Eric Stokes, and Greg Newsome are a few that come to mind.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Since Sanchez left, every one in the league knows that the Jets will try to run the ball on first down. That's because the O has been so weak, they're afraid to throw it and risk a sack or turnover. Running is the least risky option for an Jet O coordinator on 1st down. So, if you're a D coordinator playing the Jets, your plan of defense is easy. Stop the run, put the Jets in 3rd and long situations, and make the QB beat you by throwing. That's been the pattern for the last decade or so. The only way to break that cycle is get an RB who can consistently put the Jets in 2nd or 3rd and short situations. In this draft, Etienne and Harris running behind Becton and Elflein have the ability to do that and more. Drafting RB's in the 3rd or 4th round isn't going to cut it unless the Jets get very lucky.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not saying we don't need to upgrade, but we're improved over last year for the most part. Yes, a better CB, and a couple OL - in addition to a QB - and if possible a WR and RB, all would be great additions. That said, we're not going to the SB next year in any case and JD can upgrade those positions next year as needed.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh I mean Perine isn't the fastest guy in the world but he's a bit faster than his 40 time indicates with pads on. He's been count out his entire life. Auburn touted him and didn't offer him a spot because they told him he was too slow. Now I see that floating around here too.

3/4 of the first highlights are long runs showcasing speed. He can scoot in the open field.

I'll preface this by saying I didn't like the pick because I saw him as more of a 3rd down back than a potential bell-cow. I think he'd be excellent in that role but I'm interested in seeing if he amounts to anything.

abyzmul and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I like the Curry signing because we have a mostly young defensive line who can benefit from a vet who’s been around for awhile. Not to mention he was pretty good in pass rushing situations.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

One more good pass rusher and we won't even need another DB. Might not even need the ones we already have!

abyzmul likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Wow! Loving those highlights. JD should draft this beast! Oh wait......

12. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I understand you need vets to fill out the roster, but if you are going to bring older players in bring them in as “hold the fort” starter. Curry and Coleman are being brought here to serve as role players. That’s fine for a contender, but for a rebuilding team wouldn’t you rather give those types of reps to young players?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Elflein is a panther now :)

NYJalltheway likes this.
  16. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

This cannot be good. So does that mean Darnold will remain on the team even with or without Fields/Wilson?

17. K'OB

Maybe we move for Mullens?

18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think he will be out of the league in 2 years. He is not explosive at all. He's fast enough when he gets going, but you can see he doesn't hit the hole with the acceleration needed to be successful. Even in half those highlights, he would have been tackled at the LOS in the NFL. He's more of a power back IMO. Maybe he adds 20 lbs and can play full back for us.

19. K'OB

Can't disagree tbh plus he never really showed much when on the field to make you want to give him loads more time, the FB role was an interesting idea.

Lon Chaney and matt robinson 17 like this.
  20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Some Back-up QB options for the Jets:
    -Chase Daniel
    -AJ McCarron
    -Colt McCoy
    -Blaine Gabbert
    -Nick Mullens
    -Blake Bortles

Maybe Mullens would be the best of that group to help the other QB's learn the system?

Lon Chaney and NCJetsfan like this.