Jets sign DT Sheldon Rankins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He gets worse and worse.

I am so sick of reading his name, at this point. Now that Mehta is gone, Cimini is at the top of my list now of pathetic reporters.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if one of our first 3 picks was D line.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It appears the common denominator in a NY Jets beat writer is the term “ incendiary asshole” . Now we have a Miami fan as well to follow the Jets and possibly continue the shit upon the Jets tradition. But winning will change everything.

NCJetsfan and Falco21 like this.
  4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

possibly. Good point.

he has been wonder on these one year deals.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What did he say that was wrong?

Cman68 and ouchy like this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Can this guy stay healthy and play an entire season or not.. That is the question. Cimini was absolutely right in bringing his injury history up.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I feel like in Jets history whenever there has been a player that if he could only stay healthy he has never stayed healthy.

Hope it works out though, DL could be nasty is it does.

REVISion likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I mean Cimini is just providing the information. I don't see much of an issue with it. Cimini catches too much slack around here.

Cman68, REVISion and PJ4Ever like this.
  9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

This is a beautiful signing.

Lawson on the outside, suddenly Q gets freed up to be single covered. If you don’t, Rankins and JFM can beat their guys off the line. Look at what Saleh and his crew did TJ elevate a Kerry Hyder, who similarly didnt profile as an edge guy as he doesn’t have blazing speed or strength but he just was a damn good pass rusher. There’s gonna be some fun on that line, I could see a nice rotation between Q, Rank and JFM between the inside and outside.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  10. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

The draft is loaded with CB.

I did so many mocks and I am always shocked to see great CB still there in the 3rd round.

11. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

What happened to Mehta? I have never known of a more controversial beat writer. Most fanbases have a playful dislike for their team’s beat writers but Mehta drew true venom.

12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

He had his credentials removed so couldn't attend any team functions. This shouldn't have been too much of a barrier given that most of his stories were pure fabrication but the loss of credibility seemed to be terminal to his role. He is back now tweeting generic NFL stories without much opinion.

NY beat writing is pathetic, not because of the negative slant (we deserve most of it) but there doesn't appear to be anyone with any level of contacts. The total output appears to be lazy opinion pieces and re-tweeting Schefter/Rappaport who appear to get Jets stories quicker than any of our 'local' writers. You can credit JD for the radio silence but it also means these jerks are stealing a living.

egelband, NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

14. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I like the Rankins signing. I trust Saleh and JD....and if Saleh thinks Rankin fits in with that he wants to do with this defense, that that is good enough for me! ;)

15. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Well said, ConcordeChops/PrivatePyle. Mehta basically tried to spin the pretty mundate "local beat reporter" role into a something much "grander" (at least in his mind). He was basically using the role as a platform for spouting off as many controversial, provocative "hot takes" as possible, dreaming, undoubtedly, of one day making big $$$$$ to "star" on one of ESPN's many shows where two where two fame-obsessed, self-aggrandizing, hot take idiots scream at each other, while a large breasted, moderately attractive woman "moderates" the "discussion." His plan obviously didn't work out as he had hoped, however.

#75 patleahy, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  16. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Rankins is a stud when healthy. The only gamble is whether he can stay that way.

If it helps, I was listening to a statistical breakdown of what it means to be "injury prone" and when you control for other factors apparently it's largely perception over reality. According to how they broke out the injuries and contributing factors, it is exceedingly rare to actually be injury prone but some players do have multiple unlucky injuries. I think it was JJ Zachariason's podcast.

IMHO The upside is worth the risk on rankins. Especially since he doesn't have the be "THE GUY".

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

In their defense, Schefter and Rapoport both work for large and wealthy organizations that undoubtedly have giant slush funds to pay those contacts for info much better than outfits like NYDN, NJ.com, the Post, etc.

Without that slush fund, Adam Schefter would return to earth with the rest of the bums.

ColoradoContrails and egelband like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That's precisely why Mehta lost his mind when Maccagnan left and he was shut out. Not that he ever broke anything meaningful and ground breaking that I can remember but he had a good relationship with the Jets before Gase and Douglas came along, at least from what I can imagine.

I don't think he ever had the personality to do so, but that's certainly the best job in sports as evident by Stephen A's latest contract and a couple hours of work a day beating the same topics into the ground. He rode his relationship with LeBron/Wade/Carmelo to the top. Skip was a respected journalist for a long time in the Dallas area before he decided to become a demagogue to make more money.

egelband and dawinner127 like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Mehta's Golden Years were when he man-stalked Pettine, got a membership at the same gym and started playing basketball with him. IDK if Pettine was just that much of a blabbermouth or if he secretly didn't like Rex but he was giving Mehta all kinds of dirt during those years. Once Rex fired Pettine, Mehta started acting like a psycho ex-girlfriend toward Rex and the Jets, and it carried over to each administration.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

John Clayton got screwed over