Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Draft pool for 2021 is close to 15m for the Jets this year actually.

The Jets have around 20m to play with for the rest of the offseason, until final cuts when they have to clear around 10m from that cap number.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

They have been forced to build through Free Agency because of there horrendous draft record.We really need to hit on these picks especially #2.

Falco21 likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

DAMN!!! I wanna start playing games NOW!

Noam and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Just out of interest

Cheaters signings this FA

LB Raekwon McMillan = ?
    DL Montravius Adams = 2.5m
    LB Kyle Van Noy = 6.87m
    C Ted Karras = 4m
    TE Hunter Henry = 3@37m or 17m 1st year
    DL Henry Anderson = 3.75m
    WR Kendrick Bourne = 3@15m or 6m 1st year
    WR Nelson Agholor = 2@22m
    DB Cody Davis = resigned 2@4.3
    LB Matt Judon = 4@56m 19.9m 1st year
    DL Deatrich Wise Jr = resigned 4@22m 7m first year
    TE Jonnu Smith = 4@50m 17m 1st year

Seems I read that they only had 2 or 3m more cap space than us but seem to have thrown money around like confetti, how does that work if we are nearly spent up on our small list of signings at reasonable contracts?

azhar80 likes this.
  5. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Cap space isn’t an issue for the Jets. There are still a few cuts they can make free up more space if needed. The Giants had about $3MM of cap space on Monday and somehow were able to spend more than the Jets in free agency.

It’s time to stop blindly defending everything Joe Douglas does. His lackadaisical/deliberate approach is reminiscent of one John Idzik.

6. JetFan20

The strategy wasn’t the issue. It was the GM. He didn’t actually fill the holes in free agency and he also didn’t draft the best players available.

Jets79 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The cheaters had less money than us, not more. Jax had the most cap space, the Jets were 2nd and the Pats 3rd.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  8. JetFan20

How? Bill Belichick used the cap space he had to his advantage. He didn’t really negotiate-just targeted players he wanted and offered them a take it or leave it contract.

While other teams were freeing up cap space he had the offers ready to go.

That’s what Joe D should have done, but he’s still learning how to be an NFL GM.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I think you misunderstood me tbh, it wasn't how he managed to get them done but how they have afforded to get them done.

He seems to have signed a lot of players on big contracts but the other fella I replied to was saying we are nearly spent up after 4 deals but they had a similar amount of cap space than us, 2-3m more or less as NCJets has just said.

I do agree JD could have done better tbh, I am not talking about emptying the satchel but a couple of special signings wouldn't have hurt, I particularly wanted Jonnu Smith and it stings he has landed at the cheats tbh though I wouldn't have wanted to pay him 17m a year tbh

#1629 K'OB, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  10. Footballgod214

NE is trying to build a contender through FA. IF all those players can jell, they'll be pretty good 2021. After that it can fall apart as all those players will want to get paid, well beyond cheap 1-2 year deals. And they won't be able to, so they'll be back to square one.

JD is building through the draft. He'll keep the players he drafted, but the rest of the team will be rotated in on 1yr deals. Especially the bench/depth players.

Even after we've 'arrived' with a talented roster, I can see JD rotating the bottom 3rd of our roster every year through FA. If he hits on a gem, all the better.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He is the best non qb in the draft. Maybe the best player overall but he isn’t going 2. That pick is reserved for a qb. It’s just a matter of what team makes the pick.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm glad you brought up the Giants, because it's another opportunity to show you are again wrong and continue to make claims that you don't bother fact checking.

Yes the Giants were at a high cap figure at the start of FA and yes they have spent a lot ($97,855,000) although not more than the Jets ($110,250,000), now the Giants are reported in the red for their cap number:
    Cap Space (w/All) $-13,933,637
    Cap Space (w/Top 51) $-123,637

And this is before Golladay's $72mil contract has been reported to Spotrac (in addition to 2 other signings, a TE and a FB), which will put them even further in the red. They will probably end up having to cut another 20-30 million from their roster in order to get under the cap limit in September. I guess if you want to point to that as an example of how to manage the team financially, that's up to you, but it would be pretty dumb. They also have a 10+mil dead cap number which is similar to the Jets' 11+mil dead cap number which makes them about as dumb financially as the Jets' previous GM, although it's still the same guy calling the shots for NYG as put them in this situation in the first place.

It's time to stop grasping and making comparisons and claims before you fact check them.

#1632 abyzmul, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  13. Petey

Petey Active Member

Agreed. I'm a Gator fan so I'm biased, but Pitts will be an absolute monster wherever he winds up. He will definitely have a Kelce/Kittle-type impact for any team. He's too fast for safties, too big for cornerbacks, runs routes and has the hands of a WR but the size of a big tight end, with the frame to put on some more weight without losing his explosiveness.

Brook! likes this.
  14. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Your last gm was a moron who defied all reasonable logic, his idiotic moves do not mean you do not sign free agents. Everyone who pays attention to the nfl knows you must have good players at 4 positions - QB, LT, CB, DE. This has dated back for quiet some time and is a common understanding. It’s not made up. I would argue in today’s nfl, with the move to passing more and featuring qbs, that there’s a 5th position to add and that’s WR.

Those are the positions that should be focused on and filled first. Multiple GMs have said this. Despite the jets having holes at every single one of them, your last GM decided to spend big free agent money on an ILB and RB, the literal 2 positions that offer the least value on the field. He then used draft picks to fill other spots other than the big 5, by drafting safeties with the first 2 picks. He did nothing to address the most important positions for multiple years and I don’t think any of you would disagree with that. The guy is a complete moron. Just because he chose that path doesn’t mean you should never try to upgrade your team through free agency again. Focus on those 5 positions. Davis was good. Lawson was good. There should have been more and it should have started last offseason not this one.

15. Footballgod214

I'm replying to my own post. After posting this, I read this blurb on NY Post, it summarizes it better than what I had wrote:

Jets' NFL free agency moves include Joe Douglas caveat (nypost.com)
    Jets sticking to free agency plan comes with Joe Douglas caveat
    By Brian Costello

March 20, 2021 | 2:55am | Updated

The first wave of free agency is clearly over and teams are now shopping for bargains. The Jets still have more than $30 million in salary-cap space and will be making more moves, but the big splashes are over. Here are some thoughts on how the early period of free agency went:

1. I have heard from some fans who are disappointed or underwhelmed by what the Jets have done this week. After the big-splash signings of wide receiver Corey Davis and edge rusher Carl Lawson, they have been fairly quiet.

This was the plan. You have to remember that general manager Joe Douglas is a reluctant participant in free agency. He grew up professionally under Ozzie Newsome with the Ravens. Baltimore does not like to spend crazily in free agency. Their philosophy is to draft and develop players and then re-sign some and let others go to pick up compensatory picks. That is what Douglas would like to build the Jets into.

Here is the rub: You had better draft well. Douglas’ philosophy is not revolutionary. I’ve heard a version of it from the last four Jets GMs. The key to pulling it off is hitting on a good number of your draft picks. If you don’t do that, you stay a bad team, and at some point you’ll get desperate and throw stupid money around in free agency.

Douglas has shown he’s not there yet. The signings of Davis and Lawson showed discipline. He targeted those players and came out quickly and landed them. He did not overpay or reset the market and those positions the way the Jets have done in the past with bad contracts (Trumaine Johnson, C.J. Mosley). He also did not handcuff himself long-term. If Davis and Lawson don’t work out, the Jets can move on after the 2022 season with the way their contracts are structured.

So, those hoping for a spending spree at any position may be disappointed. But know this is how Douglas wants to operate. We’ll see if he can now get the draft picks right to build the Jets into a winner.
    2. It will be very interesting to see how the wide receivers in this free-agent market pan out. The Jets went all-in to get Davis and signed him to a three-year, $37.5 million contract. The only other top receiver who has gotten a deal close to that is Curtis Samuel, who did a three-year, $34.5 million contract with Washington. The other receivers did much shorter deals as the market was soft. JuJu Smith-Schuster took a one-year deal to return to Pittsburgh and Will Fuller only got one year from Miami. Kenny Golladay remains on the market, but it is pretty clear he is not going to get the huge contract he was looking for.

That puts some pressure on Davis and the Jets. They gave him a commitment when they could have shopped for a bargain instead. Davis may end up with the biggest wide receiver contract when it comes to guaranteed money ($27 million), unless Golladay tops him.

3. There is no question the Jets are better today than they were a week ago. The additions of Lawson and Davis are clear upgrades over what they had at those positions last year. That being said, it is still hard to look at the Jets and imagine them competing in the AFC East. The Patriots went on a mad spending spree this week and improved their skill positions dramatically. The Dolphins did not spend like they did last year, but they added a receiver for Tua Tagovailoa with the Fuller contract. They also addressed a hole at center and made some depth signings. The Bills basically kept together the team that just went to the AFC Championship game.

It is tough to see how the Jets will be in the mix in this division right now. And they may be competing with a rookie quarterback this year.

4. If I had to rank the needs that Douglas still has to address, I would say: cornerback, running back, interior offensive line, linebacker and another edge rusher. He’ll likely have to hit several of these in the draft, but there are still some attractive free-agent options at some of the positions.

Noam, Falco21 and azhar80 like this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Good post. Maccagnan was an idiot. All time worst maybe who know. But about Joe D. FA just started. Let's wait for the final product before we pass judgement. It is the third week of March. There will be trades, there will be cuts from other teams. Let's wait and see.

By the way, how come you are so spot on Jets most of the time? Feels like you are a closet Jets fan. :)

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nobody is forced to build through free agency. It's a choice.

But, yes, the Jets really need to draft better or nothing else matters and we will not improve.

REVISion, SOJAZ and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  18. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

The Pats gave out a bunch of guaranteed money as signing bonuses which are spread out capwise over the life of the contracts. in their contracts, as well per game roster bonuses. Here is a breakdown of their cap hits for these contracts. We're lucky to have Miguel [@patscap on twitter] up here to keep us up on this stuff. The numbers for 2022 and beyond are max cap numbers assuming the players achieve all their LTBE [Likely to be earned incentives}, but doesn't include the NLTBE [Not Likely]. Karras and Brown's contract numbers are not finalized and filed with the league yet. At the time this chart was made the Pats still had about $29mil in cap space. Andrews cap hit is $4.5Mil this year.
    [​IMG]

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is what drives me nuts about the media market.

This is a professional, responsible writer and yet he implies that the Jets had a chance to be good in 2021, the year after going 2-14 on merit.

Point 3 should have just stopped with the first two sentences. Everything after that is fantastical hogwash.

REVISion and SOJAZ like this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This, I agree with completely. Our prior GM was a disgrace and yet he was allowed to fuck up one more free agency and draft to the max right before he was canned. I also know we are far from done with JD in charge. We finally got a DE pass rusher since literally JA left the building over 15 years ago. CB and QB should be primary draft targets. Bring in a vet thru free agency. JD attempt last year to strengthen the OL had mixed reviews at best but with Gase at the helm and that sorry ass schemes of his , very few players were put in the best position to succeed. I believe for the first time since God knows when, we finally have a process that joins at the hip the GM with the CS needs. More is expected.
    By next year, we should have a QB in place that we will build our future around, and a defense to keep us in the game.