Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

1) NFL players do not typically leave money on the table. A couple of Million goes a long way.

2) You hit the nail on the head. This is a regime that accepts and expects losing. What’s the point of signing good football players?

REVISion likes this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Quinnen can’t be extended until next off-season, and it’s unusual for non-QB’s to get one after only 3 years (as a 1st round pick). It’s not unheard of, Myles Garrett got his after 3, and it might be wise to act early, but it’s definitely not urgent. Also, he won’t be able to hold out like Regis did. The new CBA rules make it near impossible for a guy in his position to do it.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

In a year like this? Do you think NFL players didn't see what happened when Bell, and Perriman and friends all came to the Jets?

Or they understand that big free agent winners usually tend to be franchises that stay in the gutter.

How often over the past 20 years have to seen the Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Patriots, Saints, Colts or Seahawks been big time free agent and trade winners?

ColoradoContrails and NYJFOREVER like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Bell was washed, Jets or not. He ended up on the best possible team for an offensive weapon and did absolutely nothing production wise even there.

I think NFL players almost always value money over winning. The dangerous nature of the game and short careers basically demands they do so. Exceptions to this being longtime vets who have played for loser teams their entire careers, but those aren't the type of guys we're targeting anyway.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes, that was said with next season in mind. It might be better to save the cap space and jump on the grenade next offseason with a big cap hit upfront before he hits year four. The rumblings about wanting an extension started with Wilkerson, Richardson, Adams and Revis around year three.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I hated that signing with a passion because I believed he would be shot when he got here. But what we think, what NFL front offices thing and what the players think are three different things.

JuJu turned down more incentive money to go back to the Steelers with the defending AFC Champions knocking on his door. I'm sure there's other examples.

This off-season is a different animal. Players just saw the big money coming next year from the television deal.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You have no way of knowing this because it's is hardly ever reported what offers are made by teams that are bidding for free agents. Otherwise we'd know if the Jets made a better offer or no for Neal.

The only time we find out is if it is reported (rare) or if a player backs out of a deal. We know for certain that Cousins did it with the Jets because there was a phone call with him on camera talking about it, and we know that Anthony Barr did it when he backed out of his deal with the Jets a few years ago.

The rest is just guesses and people talking out of their ass.

8. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It does allow you to space out money over an extra year, but you just have to remember that you set precedent with other players. If you do that with Williams, other 1st round picks will be knocking at your door after year 3.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yeah and he got those sacks when we were down by 30 pts, so what does it matter.

He has already been replaced by Lawson

I cant believe it took so long

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think players are going to be surprised at how little increase there is overall in the money available next year.

Lots of the big contracts signed in 2019 and 2020 had a couple of cap friendly years at the start. Then the balloon payments begin 2022.

Also the NFL/NFLPA borrowed already to the tune of about $700 million from the next two caps. That's what it took to raise the cap this year from about $160M +/- $3M to $182M. No matter how big the revenue increase is $350M a season is a lot of downward adjustment.

As an example of balloon payments:

Mahomes - $7.4M this year, $35M+ in 2022, $46M+ in 2023.
    Prescott - $22M this year, $33M in 2022, $44M in 2023.
    Wilson - $32M this year, $37M in 2022, $40M in 2023.
    Hopkins - $12M this year, $25M in 2022, $27M in 2023.
    Bosa - $20M this year, $28M in 2022, $31M in 2023.

That's just off the top dozen contracts at this point.

Lots of teams additionally redid a bunch of deals to push cap hits down the road this year to deal with the cap crunch. All those re-dos will add up.

I suspect that we will have a very small actual increase in the amount of money available to free agents next year compared to this year. The cap will be up to 10% higher, counting the $350M reduction for the borrow for this year but the amount the teams have available to spend will not approach a 10% increase over what they had available this year.

I further suspect that the era of reduced free agent spending may well not be over until 2025 or so and that the assumptions that players are making this year likely will not survive their NFL career likelihood.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

The precedent has already been set here though with players wanting to be paid quickly in this franchise and the organization has reacted the same exact way in all five instances including Leonard Williams even if his request for more money wasn't public.

I think it'd set a good precedent of retaining players you drafted and developed and they live up to playing well.

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Whether you believe in the approach JD is taking right now, or not, it is refreshing seeing a debate on this forum now wondering why we aren't signing free agents. Not really used to seeing that on here.

This entire offseason, to me, does not matter right now until the draft is complete. This free agency should not be a shock to anyone. JD has said, from the beginning, that he will build this team through the draft. His goal is to build a consistent winning franchise filled with high quality draft picks. A formula that has been proven to work time and time again.

I get it, there were some players out there that I wish we signed, but I am not upset at the approach.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What is being a fan, but emotion? AFAIK there's no such thing as a totally intellectual fan. I'm a passionate fan. I want the team to win. I'm tired of how slow the Jets are in "getting it" and producing a winner. I'm tired of their being behind the curve in the NFL. I'm tired of the stupid owners and the lousy hires, and the slow, plodding pace at which they do things.

I've been giving JD credit, and have acknowledged several times that we don't know who he has talked to and what he has offered, and that in fairness JD may be trying to sign those players and they had no interest in signing with the Jets.

JD has contradicted himself or at least what some posters claim is how he is going to build the team. They conveniently overlook where JD said if the opportunity is there to get value, that he is going to be aggressive in FA. Value is relative. He certainly hasn't seemed very aggressive, but based on the following tweet he must have been.

You know that I have believed in him and supported him perhaps as much or more than anyone else on this site. I'm not the type to become cynical, still call myself a fan, but not care about what they do. When I care about someone or something, I am passionate. It's all about emotions.

I'm already disappointed which is added to 52 years of disappointment. That's why if you're right and he doesn't draft a QB, I'm done. With all the team's holes, I'll at least be able to understand it somewhat if he trades down a time or two and just tries to fill as many holes as possible, but will still be done with him and the team. I know many here think I'm just saying that, but I'm not. If he doesn't draft a QB, then I will lose all faith in him, think he's yet another incompetent dumbass in a long line of dumbasses, and I will be done with him and this team, and you won't see me on this site again. I've been a masochist long enough. I will find something else to invest my passion in that is worthwhile and will give me joy and satisfaction rather than frustration and agita.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The Approach Joe Douglas is taking isnt anything new he isnt some type of trend setter its been done by every team in the league at one point or another.Building through the draft is great if you hit on all your picks.If you dont your left with nothing...This idea that Joe Douglas is some type of genius because he wants to build through the draft is ridiculous.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely, I would have liked one more move in free agency at least for a top guard if available within reason. However, I have to also note that those here that want a lot more action and use the Steelers and the Pats as the standard for winning should recognize that neither were ever known for free agency, ever. It was mostly all home grown and when the players wanted to break the bank they became free agents and went elsewhere.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Br4d

I think most people would make the opposite case. Not that Joe Douglas is a genius for trying to build through the draft but that the Jets have been such morons for trying to build through free agency instead.

17. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

The draft is unpredictable. Filling as many holes as you can in free agency so you can draft BPA in the draft is the best course of action.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Br4d

Spoken like a true JetFan.

19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I really don’t get what this GM is doing. Last offseason, I posted about how he hasn’t added talent to the roster, and in fact, he’s let more talent go than he brought in, which is absurd for a franchise with a billion dollars to spend in free agency for two years in a row. I could not believe he did basically nothing last year and sat on his hands.

I am even more flabbergasted that it’s now continuing again for a second straight year. He justifies ignoring improving the team through free agency by stating that he will “build through the draft” as if the two are mutually exclusive. He implies that if he signs free agents, he loses the right to draft or something. Did you know you can sign quality free agents AND STILL build through the draft? What a crazy concept. You have the same draft picks whether you sign free agents or not. Building through the draft (which is what every team does) and signing quality free agents are not mutually exclusive.

SOJAZ and Bellys Lies like this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We wont draft BPA at 2.