Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sorry but this is a total strawman and I'm tired of seeing it. Almost everyone realizes that paying big money for FA's is dumb and not the correct way to build a team.

Missing out on solid players within our price range at positions of great need is bad though. It just is. Especially when we started FA with more cap space than all but one other team.

There's no need for sweeping statements like "this FA has been great" or "this FA has been horrible". We've done some good things and we've missed some opportunities. Let's hope the good outweighs the bad over JD's tenure.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

it’s a strawman that’s been standing for days now. At some point it’s going to have to come down. I think the ones that are holding it up are a little bit in denial personally.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

this is the balls on truth

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I agree with that statement. Isn't Douglas a BPA guy with drafts? It kind of makes that hard to do when you have so many holes to fill.

I don't think he's close to done in free agency, just being selective. It's frustrating to see some names that seem like good fits go elsewhere. But, damn does he have a lot of holes to fill The team currently has 64 players (with FAs), and I count nearly 23 bubble guys actively on that roster.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

FAs play an important role at the end of a rebuild to slot in the few impact mercs at remaining positions of need. Where we are now its less important to splash in FA, unless we are drafting a QB. Then it pays off to have as much talent around them to develop with as possible.

Then again, according to the Newsome rebuild formula, this is not the year we draft a QB. This is the year we stock up on young players to start completing a core of hot young talent. Ideally a blue chip player like Sewell.

(ya - it took everything in me to stop at Sewell).

6. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

NC, what's with the rant? Seems your letting emotions get the best of you. JD has a plan and has stated how he is going to build the team. The guy chose another team, period, just like JT went to KC and the Pacers center to SD.

No offense but you have no idea what JD offered or weather the guy even wanted to play here. It would seem he didn't. Like you, I am not happy we missed on some players and ended up signing an IOL that graded extremely poor but it is what it is.

I think your setting yourself up for a big let down come draft day because JD is "probably" not drafting a QB. Irrespective of all these pundits that say otherwise, He will either take Swell or trade down and accumulate picks. IMHO, that seem more likely... but who knows.

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Hey, you can do whatever you want. It’s not just about age, but none of these guys are going to be around for 5-10 years. How many free agent signings are even around more than 2 years? And let’s be honest, how many Free Agents are great players? A few are good, most are fine to bad. If they were great, they wouldn’t be free agents. Most of these guys are role players at best.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think we could take Sewell or maybe someone else?

What would you like to see done with the #2 SOJAZ?

azhar80 likes this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You don't seem to understand when you are considered a losing team. When the culture isn't built yet.

You don't get to be In the same bracket of other teams that do win consistently and have a winning culture.

The reason we've had to over pay to get specific players Is for that very reason I just stated. We are losers, have been losers, and until that changes we don't have the luxury of paying fair prices In our price range for the majority of FA players on the market.

It takes two to tango In FA.

When our price range and value isn't good enough for that player of interest we either over pay or move on.

It's much better to move on, be opportunistic, be smart, hit where you can, hit In the draft.

Set yourself up for success. For sustainable winning that sets a winning culture.

Until then. Fair price won't matter In most cases.

Again. Over paying has been proven as a failed method. History shows that. It's not smart.

Without it, what leverage do we have right now In terms of drawing In these players on the market to actually want to be here at a fair price?

Not much.

It's just the way it is right now.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Having Selah is going to make all the free agents want to play for us.

He just needs another year to develop.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Darrelle Revis, Trumaine Jackson, Leveon Bell and C.J. Mosley say hello.

The Jets have not had a top of the market free agent signing work out since Kevin Mawae in 1998.

Faneca was one of the guys who went missing on Mark Sanchez during the Jets collapse. Which is exactly what post-prime high-priced free agents do to a team.

The only high-priced free agent in the last two decades who worked out for the Jets was Calvin Pace and he worked out on a long-term basis in which none of the years were great - which makes sense because he had no great years before the Jets made him a zillionaire either.

We've been sold a marketing-based mirage for twenty years now. The last ten of them in purgatory because that mirage hides the reality of losing behind it.

12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Jets do have players to pay, plus they have $30 million in space left and will have one of the largest cap designations to drafted players this year.

This year:
    -Johnathan Franklin-Myers
    -Folorunso Fatukasi
    -Marcus Maye, if they want him long term.

I would get a head start on Foli and JFM.

blackssmagic and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

I wouldn't call it denial. In simple terms.

A lot of us understand that throwing shit at the wall endlessly, On hopes something good actually sticks.

Well...

Isn't sound strategy when trying to achieve important long term goals In life.

Hell. Anything good for that matter.

That approach will just leave you left standing with endless piles of shit in your hand, way more times than not.

So. Yeah. Definitely wouldn't call It delusional or denial.

Logical, calculated. Probably better words for it.

My opinion of course.

Br4d likes this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

You're completely missing the entire point. We're not saying that we're calling for foolish, over the top spending like we've done in the past. The strawman you keep bringing up is that we're calling for big time spending like we've done in the past. We're not.

What we are questioning is why we've seemingly not inquired about or missed out entirely on guys that would've filled big positions of need at prices we could've clearly afforded.

88toon likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’ll just keep it simple and say you missed the point.

Edit: as one of my esteemed fellow-posters already said.

REVISion likes this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

Did you even read my post?

Specifically the part about It taking two to tango?

We can't make players come here. If the refuse OUR fair price. You would then either need to move on or over pay.

Players are not lining up outside of metlife trying to be part of a losing culture. Until we change that culture, you shouldn't be surprised when we miss out on players at a fair price.

It means they didn't want to be here at that price.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You can't categorically claim that none of the FAs will be around 5-10 years. Lawson and or Davis could be. They could play at a high level, love it here, the team love them, and then re-sign them another time or even two. It's not a common occurrence, but then again, 25-year olds don't usually become FAs.

Depending upon your definition of "great," the bold is not true. Is Mosley a great LB? Is Golladay a great WR? IMO "great" players do reach FA. There are several reasons why. Perhaps they were tired of their team and ready for a change and refused to sign an extension. Maybe their present team didn't offer them what they thought they were worth. Maybe there was a chance of CS and schemes, and they're no longer a fit. Maybe like this year, the cap is suddenly lower and a lot of team had to cut big contract players to get under the cap. They don't have to be "great," either. They can be very good role players, and as long as their level of play remains high and they don't ask for crazy money, they can be re-signed. Sometimes teams may sign a FA and he winds up staying because the team never has the opportunity to draft a replacement who is better. Did Calvin Pace sign an 8-year contract when he was signed as a FA? There are no guarantees, of course, just as there are none with draft picks. A player like Neal could definitely be here 5-10 years.

The reason a lot of FAs don't last more than 2 years is because many, if not most, of the players that hit FA are at least 27, if not 30 or over. Those players are nearing the end of their careers or at the end of their careers and are just trying to get one last pay day. Some can still play at a high level, but many start losing speed and becoming more injury prone. Usually, if they're good or great, young players are re-signed. They are extended, tagged, or re-signed by their previous team. That isn't the case this year, however. Due to the suddenly much lower salary cap, quite a few 25- and 26-year olds became available, and they're still in their prime.

Most of the players I've been talking about this year aren't role players or are "fine to bad", but you know that. Even with some of the older FAs like Thuney, he's never missed a game in his career, plays at a high level, and could have been here 3-5 years and continued playing at a high level.

Even if they are only signed to 1-year deals, they can serve as bridge players. Richard Sherman is 33, but can still play at a high level for another year, maybe two, and in the interim, the Jets get improved play at CB, and he can help mentor the young CBs the Jets add. They can fill a glaring hole where you don't have a good young player. Even if you draft one, he might not be ready to start day one, and can learn from watching for a while. They can serve as better depth. Edoga and McDermott pretty much suck. IMO we'd be much better off signing better players at their positions to a 1 or 2-year deal to give JD more time to draft and develop starters or better backups. They can be signed to improve STs like the kid from the Saints was.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

With the market being so down and so many taking one year prove it deals are you guys really surprised these guys aren’t choosing the Jets to gamble their future with?

19. IIMeanDeanII

I don't think I'm the one missing the point. I also don't believe you have taken the time to actually read my point.

Which doesn't surprise me since you and others are In favor of the lazy stance In life where you complain about players not coming here because we didn't over pay to make it happen. All while also complaining that we aren't signing players at a reasonable price without considered what that actually means.

It means they don't want to be here for a reasonable price and unless we overpay because we are losers (have been for over a decade now), that's the way It will be until that culture changes.

It certainly won't change by over paying and handing out bad contracts.

You can't force players to be here for reasonable money..

So what are you left with at that point?

Okay though. Thanks for your simple terms that made zero sense.

Falco21 likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why would you come to the Jets on a 1 year prove-it deal if you have other options?

The Jets kill careers they don't make them.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.